Anyone here want an iMac but won't buy one because of the glossy screen?

matsuya

Gawd
I notice that a lot of enthusiasts from this forum and apple forums prefer anti-glare on the MBP so I'm wondering if people don't like the iMac because of the glossy screen.

I like glossy screens. When they aren't reflecting back at you. I have my imac in a pretty good spot in this room so it works well.

Glossy screen is one; the other is no (easily) user-replaceable hard drive.

Probably depends on how you define easy. Two section cups and 4 screws and you're looking at the hard drive.

This is such an overblown issue, IMO. The iMac's display is bright enough to overpower most reflections (unless you sit with your back facing a huge light source, like an open window or a fluorescent lamp), and the extra bit of color clarity is a nice touch (the real reason why Apple prefers non-matte displays: matte coating dulls displays). Same with the MacBook Pro. As long as you aren't shining light directly onto the screen, you aren't going to see reflections unless you're specifically looking for them.

Well over ram it involves 2 suction cups and one more screw.

Sure, but there's also a greatly increased chance of getting dust trapped between the glass and screen, and a slip or momentary lapse of concentration could damage cables.

Sure, but there's also a greatly increased chance of getting dust trapped between the glass and screen, and a slip or momentary lapse of concentration could damage cables.

Take it to the Apple Store, they should be willing to help you out.

I won't buy one because the monitor and the computer are 1.
My monitors last years and years but my systems are replaced every 12-28 months.

iMac is just a bad investment in my opinion for anyone replacing their system more than once every 3-4 years.

I still have my 18" Sony LCD I got in 2000/01 - great backup monitor. Every monitor since then I still have 2.. 2 20" LCD Dell, 30" Dell. Use them all the time.

I wanted a kickass 27 imac but ended up with a 15" MBP and using my external monitors. Couldn't be happier.

I won't buy one because the monitor and the computer are 1.
My monitors last years and years but my systems are replaced every 12-28 months.

iMac is just a bad investment in my opinion for anyone replacing their system more than once every 3-4 years.

I still have my 18" Sony LCD I got in 2000/01 - great backup monitor. Every monitor since then I still have 2.. 2 20" LCD Dell, 30" Dell. Use them all the time.

I wanted a kickass 27 imac but ended up with a 15" MBP and using my external monitors. Couldn't be happier.

imacs hold their value ridiculously well. My plan is to ebay mine every year just before the new models come out and get the latest upgrades. Looking at ebay pricing looks like even after fees and such i'd only lose about $300. I'd pay $300/year to have the latest and greatest.

That said I do have my old Dell 2001fp LCD and another 24" LCD but they are both showing their age. The Dell has gotten quite dim over the years. And the imac screen is beautiful.

I've wanted to have a Mac around for software development for a long time, but haven't wanted to part with dollars -- the MacBooks are too expensive. I hate the idea of an all in one, and was pretty much ready to get the wallet out for the 27" iMac until I read that you can't use the monitor with a PC -- so, no sale for me. That issue is exponentially greater than the glossy screen for me. They really have a giant hole in their lineup without a consumer non-all in one PC with more muscle than the mini.

Glossy isn't as big a deal for me in a desktop. With a laptop, you find yourself in a ton of different lighting conditions that can cause glare. With a desktop, you can set it up just right.

I hate the idea of an all in one, and was pretty much ready to get the wallet out for the 27" iMac until I read that you can't use the monitor with a PC -- so, no sale for me.

What do you mean? The iMacs support "Target Display Mode".

What do you mean? The iMacs support "Target Display Mode".

Only via other thunderbolt ports. So you can't connect a PC to the imac and use it as a monitor right now. At least the 2011 imacs. But when PC video cards start including thunderbolt ports you will be able to.

I don't know if there are HDMI/DVI to thunderbolt adapters or if those would work.

Only via other thunderbolt ports. So you can't connect a PC to the imac and use it as a monitor right now. At least the 2011 imacs. But when PC video cards start including thunderbolt ports you will be able to.

I don't know if there are HDMI/DVI to thunderbolt adapters or if those would work.

I thought that when video was used, it's still just a mini-displayport.

Thunderbolt replaces the mini display port

Apple's website:
And because Thunderbolt is based on DisplayPort technology, the video standard for high-resolution displays, any Mini DisplayPort display plugs right into the Thunderbolt port. To connect a DisplayPort, DVI, HDMI, or VGA display, just use an existing adapter.

If, and that is a big if. I have my doubts Nvidia or AMD will ever support Thunderbolt via their videocards.

There is no way to get get Target Display Mode to work w/ a PC on the 2011 iMac's at the moment. Which is why I'll won't be upgrading from my 2009 for a long ass time.

Maybe we'll see some sort of active adapter from Althona but i am not doing for paying $200 for something that doesn't work all that well.

Originally Posted by Archer75
Thunderbolt replaces the mini display port
Apple's website:

And because Thunderbolt is based on DisplayPort technology, the video standard for high-resolution displays, any Mini DisplayPort display plugs right into the Thunderbolt port. To connect a DisplayPort, DVI, HDMI, or VGA display, just use an existing adapter.

That is only for sending data TO a display, not the other way around. If the sending port is a Thunderbolt port, it will send to both other thunderbolt ports, and DP, DVI, HDMI, VGA ports. If it is a DP/Mini-DP port, it will not send to a Thunderbolt port.

Key phrase there is 'based on'

Apple's website:

I have a 2011 imac, there are no mini display ports on it. Even if they are compatible with those other formats it doesn't work for getting video into the imac. Apple has already stated this and people have already tested it.

If, and that is a big if. I have my doubts Nvidia or AMD will ever support Thunderbolt via their videocards.

There is no way to get get Target Display Mode to work w/ a PC on the 2011 iMac's at the moment. Which is why I'll won't be upgrading from my 2009 for a long ass time.

Maybe we'll see some sort of active adapter from Althona but i am not doing for paying $200 for something that doesn't work all that well.

Those cards to support mini display port so it's not a stetch to change those to thunderbolt as they are still compatible with mini display port.

Sony just showed for an external video card thing for one of their laptops that connects via thunderbolt. So who knows what the future holds.

I like to keep my desk next to a window so I can look outside when I take quick breaks (quite often). My preferred way of doing this placing the desk and monitor perpendicular to the window. A glossy screen is basically unusable in this situation.

This is such an overblown issue, IMO. The iMac's display is bright enough to overpower most reflections (unless you sit with your back facing a huge light source, ...

A number of people (I know a few) get headaches or migraines with prolonged exposure to bright light sources, or they get headaches immediately with very bright light sources (e.g. a flash of car high beams, looking directly at a LCD screen in a dark room, etc). So they can't use a bright LCD to overpower reflections without eventually getting a major headache.

The other issue is being forced to throw the monitor out with the computer. Back in the late 90s and early 2000's one might feel the urge to switch monitors every 2-3 years because the price of bigger monitors was falling quickly. However, nowadays 24" (especially 27"s) are big enough that many people are content with that size and feel little urge to upgrade. If I purchased a 27" monitor I could easily see myself using for more than 5 years, which is well past the time I would want to keep a computer without upgrading it. Even if I did "upgrade" the monitor after 5 years, I'd only do it if I was forced to (e.g. the monitor died with no practical way to repair it) or if some compelling new technology was around. I wouldn't do it just for a bigger monitor.

A friend of mine has a previous generation iMac with a glossy screen and I actually like it. I normally detest glossy screen as if someone is shitting into my eyes. I think the main thing to consider is lighting. A living room or bedroom usually don't have bright lights everywhere.

A number of people (I know a few) get headaches or migraines with prolonged exposure to bright light sources, or they get headaches immediately with very bright light sources (e.g. a flash of car high beams, looking directly at a LCD screen in a dark room, etc). So they can't use a bright LCD to overpower reflections without eventually getting a major headache.

The answer is still the same, make sure there aren't any direct light sources shining on the display. Then you can turn the brightness down to acceptable levels and disable the auto-adjustment feature.

The other issue is being forced to throw the monitor out with the computer. Back in the late 90s and early 2000's one might feel the urge to switch monitors every 2-3 years because the price of bigger monitors was falling quickly. However, nowadays 24" (especially 27"s) are big enough that many people are content with that size and feel little urge to upgrade. If I purchased a 27" monitor I could easily see myself using for more than 5 years, which is well past the time I would want to keep a computer without upgrading it. Even if I did "upgrade" the monitor after 5 years, I'd only do it if I was forced to (e.g. the monitor died with no practical way to repair it) or if some compelling new technology was around. I wouldn't do it just for a bigger monitor.

This has nothing to do with gloss versus non-gloss displays. Besides, the iMac has Target Disk Mode for a reason.

i love glossy screens, i wish the next u2410 comes with a glossy screen. i didn't buy an imac yet because i don't have the $$$!!

Glossy screen is one; the other is no (easily) user-replaceable hard drive.

Actually the hard drive is easy to replace (If you can build your own PC, it's a breeze.) I just replaced my 640GB with a 3TB drive. You just have to take your time and watch out for the small connectors and wires. Some talk of getting dust between the LCD and glass. You can fix this with a can of compressed air and a really fine microfiber cloth (mostly for smugs). I also see some talk about the suction cups. I found the best thing to use is the suction handles for showers. Their usually about nine bucks at walmart and can be found in the pharmacy department. All you need is one and make sure it is the kind with no pins. You also want to make sure you clean the cups good so you don't scratch the glass. The only other think you have to be careful of is not cross threading the screws on the Mac when you re assemble (trust me I KNOW).

Back