Anyone here using AIX?

O2Flow

Limp Gawd
Just wondering...

I have a P7 and a P5, both running 6.1. I'm about to learn how to implement a VIOS.

Looking for friends :(

Host. Specifically wanna know if anyone has used CentOS as a guest too. I know RHEL is supported so I assume CentOS will work for the most part.

Last edited:
Wow, can AIX even do that? No offense, but why would you want to do that even?

Wow, can AIX even do that? No offense, but why would you want to do that even?

Sure why not? PowerVM allows you to create LPARs as needed. RHEL licensing is terribly expensive (for my setup) so when you need a linux VM, CentOS would be the obvious next choice. There are some things I just can no longer do in AIX but would work much better with GNU compilers.

I hadn't thought AIX was state of the art as far as virtualization hosts go. I would have thought if you had a server that ran AIX you would go the other way (virtualize it on esxi or something.)

I hadn't thought AIX was state of the art as far as virtualization hosts go. I would have thought if you had a server that ran AIX you would go the other way (virtualize it on esxi or something.)

It's actually really advanced, just not user friendly (that's no mistake).Not unheard to have 800 LPARs on 1 machine :eek:

I have an old server that runs AIX. I need to be able to mount all of the volumes from a drive I grabbed out of an even older IBM machine, but it won't let me because they are named the same exact thing as the volumes on the newer system.

Anybody know how to go about doing this?

No idea, but I doubt you will get much help for an AIX sysadmin question on a virtualization forum?

I have an old server that runs AIX. I need to be able to mount all of the volumes from a drive I grabbed out of an even older IBM machine, but it won't let me because they are named the same exact thing as the volumes on the newer system.

Anybody know how to go about doing this?

Are they in the rootvg group? Or some other vg?

There are some things I just can no longer do in AIX but would work much better with GNU compilers.

Have you tried the Linux tools for AIX?
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/software/aix/linux/toolbox/ezinstall.html

When IBM Director first went multi-platform, we had really good luck using gcc/gmake on AIX to compile the original linux source with minimal changes. It's hilarious to think back and realise the first AIX release of one of IBM's biggest products was built on 2 hand-me-down 43P-150s. :)

Sometimes, I really miss AIX and smitty.

Have you tried the Linux tools for AIX?
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/software/aix/linux/toolbox/ezinstall.html

When IBM Director first went multi-platform, we had really good luck using gcc/gmake on AIX to compile the original linux source with minimal changes. It's hilarious to think back and realise the first AIX release of one of IBM's biggest products was built on 2 hand-me-down 43P-150s. :)

Sometimes, I really miss AIX and smitty.

Yea unfortunately we have, still too many issues. I did find a bug in (suma) in 7.1! I felt so proud reporting it to IBM haha.

Yea unfortunately we have, still too many issues. I did find a bug in (suma) in 7.1! I felt so proud reporting it to IBM haha.

Too bad, would have been easy. In regards to CentOS, we used it all the time for internal ppcLinux builds, always worked fine. In my case I just direct installs, but I can't imagine why it would be an issue in an LPAR.

It's funny that people don't realise that IBM basically invented VMs. They designed the first hypervisor way back in the god damn 1960s and had LPAR support in their OSes by the 70s.

Too bad, would have been easy. In regards to CentOS, we used it all the time for internal ppcLinux builds, always worked fine. In my case I just direct installs, but I can't imagine why it would be an issue in an LPAR.

It's funny that people don't realise that IBM basically invented VMs. They designed the first hypervisor way back in the god damn 1960s and had LPAR support in their OSes by the 70s.

Yep, essentially it can't be turned off now.

Thanks for the info on CentOS, was hoping some of the newer kernels would work fine.

It never even occurred to me that AIX would run on x86. I thought it was PPC only. I will have to look into this.

Thanks for the idea.

It never even occurred to me that AIX would run on x86. I thought it was PPC only. I will have to look into this.

Thanks for the idea.

AIX only runs on PPC AFAIK.

Get the PowerVM Quicksheet here: http://www.tablespace.net/index.html

Best quick reference for VIOS out there IMO. Saved my arse a few times. ;)

I manage two p770's and a few p520's in a dual-HMC setup... All running AIX 5.3 to 7.1. I did try RHEL 5 on one LPAR until the trial expired. :)

Thanks for the quicksheet! I only have 1 770 and 1 520. 770s are kinda pricey :)

Last edited:
Are they in the rootvg group? Or some other vg?

Pretty sure they are in the rootvg group. From what I could find, they are locked because the names are the same as on the drive I am booting with. The volumes that don't have the same names mount just fine.

Pretty sure they are in the rootvg group. From what I could find, they are locked because the names are the same as on the drive I am booting with. The volumes that don't have the same names mount just fine.

Sounds like importvg might do the trick

Back