Anyone here used a PC P&C, Antec True Power, and Antec NeoPower?

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
Reason I'm asking is this:

I had an Antec True Power 480. I switched to a PC P&C Turbo Cool 425 Deluxe. Now the PC P&C is real nice. You can tell the build quality is excellent and the sleeved cables are nice. 5 year warranty, etc. However, there are a couple of things I don't like about it:

1) it is noticably louder then the Antec True Power, and I contacted PC P&C about a quieter fan, they said it was not recommended for that model

2) there is no on/off switch on the back, a minor inconvenience, but still annoying on a $150 PSU

So I'm hearing all these great things about the NeoPower, and the fact that you can customize the cabling sounds really nice too. I wondering how the noise level of the NeoPower compares to the Turbo Cool and the True Power. Also, has anyone done any testing to see how stable it is VS the Turbo Cool?

i'm putting my review of the NeoPower 480 online next week...I'm comparing it to the Antec TrueBlue 480w...

We'll see how it works

cheers,

dave

dave_graham said:
i'm putting my review of the NeoPower 480 online next week...I'm comparing it to the Antec TrueBlue 480w...

We'll see how it works

cheers,

dave

cool, will look forward to it

it's the most quiet part of my system. got 3 tornados running minimum voltage on a vantec nexus fan controllers. i was actually thinking of changing it out to something that pulls a little more air

Yule Bryner said:
it's the most quiet part of my system. got 3 tornados running minimum voltage on a vantec nexus fan controllers. i was actually thinking of changing it out to something that pulls a little more air

you have a NeoPower? why do you have so many fans?

Yule Bryner said:
should have specified better, i have a PCP and C 510
lol, I would imagine that is even louder then the 425 watt version I have :eek:

One thing you might look for is the Silencer 400 watt from PC P&C. The 425 is definately loud but it does one hell of a job. It's basically the 425 with a much quieter fan in it.

I'm using one in my current rig and it's worked quite well although the fan almost always runs at top speed, probably due to being to small to begin with. Even with the fan at full speed it's significantly quieter than the 425. If you aren't really stressing the PSU you would know it's running but it's not bad at all. I can barely distinguish the silencer from the water pump or fans on the radiator in my system. When it's on it's low setting it's not a problem at all. The 425 just killed me because of the noise it put off.

I can tell my system is pushing that supply near the max and I've only had my system power down and crash once so far. The room temp was probably around 90 degrees when that happened as well so i'm sure the heat was the main cause of it. I could barely stand to stay in the room. On top of that I was working on some MPEG encoding which was running both CPUs almost constantly for a couple hours. I've ran that thing for 4-5 months now with no voltage or power problems at all with that one exception. I highly doubt your system will be pulling more power than that.

System Specs:
2400+ MP x2
1gb PC2100
radeon9700
Ultra160 RAID-0 w/ 2 drives @ 10krpm
80gb IDE drive
DVD burner, CD burner, DVD drive
2 network cards, SBlive, USB2.0 card
Koolance setup with CPUs, video, chipset cooled

The 510 could very well have a variable speed fan in it that gets much quieter. The 425 I believe only had one speed and one noise level of very loud. Just by getting a new fan I got almost a 15dbl drop on it with almost identical airflow. Definately a noticable difference.

The PC Power & Cooling 510 does indeed have a variable fan, its quiet and has the on/off rocker switch on the back, and will basically power anything, granted its not cheap, but you won't have to buy another PS for some time ! To give you and idea...my 80mm Panaflo 1HA case fan makes about the same noise.
twajetmech

I wonder if this fan only has one speed, or if I haven't put enough load on it to make it run faster.

The fans are typically controlled by temperature The pc p&c 410 does have a variable fan (according to their website)

Comparing the Silencer to the Turbo Cool is like comparing a Mustang Cobra to a Focus... just because they're the same brand doesn't mean they've got the same quality or specs. The Antec Truepower is actually a better supply than the Silencer, 3% vs 5% line regulation.

EnderW said:
Reason I'm asking is this:

So I'm hearing all these great things about the NeoPower, and the fact that you can customize the cabling sounds really nice too. I wondering how the noise level of the NeoPower compares to the Turbo Cool and the True Power. Also, has anyone done any testing to see how stable it is VS the Turbo Cool?

Neopower runs absolutly silent I can't even here it unless my ears are right next to it

you can just take a truepower ( I have a 480) and remove the 92mm fan, and cover over the hole.

then replace the rear fan with an L1A on a fan controller. my PSU is extremely quiet.

Vertigo Acid said:
Comparing the Silencer to the Turbo Cool is like comparing a Mustang Cobra to a Focus... just because they're the same brand doesn't mean they've got the same quality or specs. The Antec Truepower is actually a better supply than the Silencer, 3% vs 5% line regulation.

True but what temperature are they basing those numbers on. The Truepower could be more like 5% once the temperatures get up near a standard operating temp. If you look at the specs between the Turbo Power and the Silencer they look almost identicaly except the silencer ratings are a tad bit lower. I'd be inclined to say the parts they use are identical for the most parts.

I suppose I could hook a meter up to mine and have it measure how much the values fluctuate over a period of time. As much as I strain this thing it should give a good idea of regulation.

Back