Anyone here remember "DWANGO?"

reg411

Weaksauce
The Dial-up Wide-Area Network Game Operation, better known by the acronym DWANGO was an early online gaming service based in the United States. The service ceased operation after 1998.

DWANGO was the United States and Canada's first online service dedicated exclusively to DOS based multi-player gaming in the early 1990s.

Just reminiscing about old times...was wondering if there are any [H] members who participated in it back in the 90s. I was on the Chicago server. My favorite has to be deathmatch in doom2, a custom map (or "WAD" called dwango5), super shotgun, and 3 others. Other games I played "multiplayer" on it were Heretic, Hexen, mechwarrior and warcraft 2. I also remember John Romero signing on once...but he logged off before we could get a match going :(

I'll be really surprised if anyone here remembers or even knows about dwango, but you never know!

In Northeast Texas and Chicago was our closest dwango. Made for sad panda, couldn't afford to really play due to long-distance charges.

Remember it all to well. Also remember it being an outrageously expensive means of playing Doom 2 multiplayer outside of LAN.

Then came along Kali and Kahn, and DWANGO became obsolete.

DWANGO was the coolest shit ever imaginable. When Kali came out and made it obsolete, a little part of me died. But I spent hundreds of hours more on Kali due to not having to pay a big phone bill just to connect.

I remember it, but cant recall ever actually using it do to costs.
I think i still have a magazine with a DWANGO ad, somewhere.

That is where I got my "frgmstr" nic! Playing Khoon.wad rocked.

Back