Anyone here know anything about Garmin GPS software?

Praetorius

Limp Gawd
I have a friend who wants me to install Garmin software on his laptop. He has limited space (4GB hard drive with 2GB space left on it). The worst part is (and I can't believe it myself), he has a CD-ROM drive and can't upgrade to a DVD-ROM drive. So somehow I have to breakdown the contents of his Garmin software DVD onto regular CD-Rs, or put the whole thing on a USB stick. Oh, no networking capability either.

Anyway, my question is if I were going to install a bare-bones or stripped-to-the-bone version of Garmin GPS software, what modules would be the minimum/essential portions to install?

Which GPS sofware do you need to install? My Garmin GPS uses Mapsource, the software itself doesn't take up much space, but the map data takes up almost 1.7GB.

If his GPS uses Mapsource, you can try downloading the latest version of Mapsource from garmin.com. Install it on your system with the maps, then copy the Mapsource installer you downloaded to his computer and install it. Then copy the map data onto CD's or us a USB drive. You will most likely have to run the unlock wizard again on his computer.

Okay, so MapSource is the main program, and the rest is just data. Can MapSource load maps from CD? or do maps need to be saved to the hard drive?

Okay, so MapSource is the main program, and the rest is just data. Can MapSource load maps from CD? or do maps need to be saved to the hard drive?

I'm not sure if MapSource can load the maps from a CD. I think I remember it giving me the option to install only certain map sets. I know you can install the maps do a different drive. MapSource installs to your C: drive, it doesn't even give you the option to change it, but I installed the map data on my D: drive. One option you might consider is getting a 2GB flash drive/card and installing the maps on it, so they wont take up all of his HD space.

Back