Anyone heard of HEC or Gigabyte Odin Power Supplies?

oymd

Weaksauce
Are they any good?

I am asking specifically about the Zephyr series and the Raptor series...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817339002

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817339021

Former is A-PFC and latter P-PFC...

There are some reviews across the net on the Zephyr series...they seem fine...

Any one here has first hand experience with them...

Gigabyte Odin Series...GT and Pro...either 800W or 1200W...which is WAY overkill...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2000320058+50001314&name=GIGABYTE

I will get one of these if anyone recommends them over the HEC ones...the Zephyrs specifically...

I know they r not Antec/Enermax/Seasonic/Corsair/PC P & C...etc...but HEC is all that is available to me at the moment..

Thanks..

Why not continue this discussion in your other thread?

Well...I could...but I think the topic has changed entirely...

I am asking about 2 specific brands....and want suggestions about them from as many members as possible...

In the other thread...the topic is originally about FREEZES in a PC due to a PROBABLE PS problem....

I don't see them related?

If you are a mod...please feel free to do what you see right...

If not....you just WASTED a post...without even trying to help......then talk about wasted bandwidth and multiple posts!!:rolleyes:

Thanks..

was that last post necessary in it self?

at any rate the folks at johnnyguru don't seem to think too highly of them. avg at best it seems.

HEC makes PSU itself.
Gigabyte Odins are made by CWT. Actually it is based on PSH(<=800W) or PUC(>=1000W).
I prefer CWT, but it doesn't mean HEC Zephyr will do worse. In fact I don't know what Zephyr is like.

The Gigabyte is heads and shoulders over the HEC, but why is it that those are the only two available to you?

Island life? ;)

The Gigabyte is heads and shoulders over the HEC, but why is it that those are the only two available to you?

Island life? ;)

Actually I ended up buying the Gigabyte Odin GT 800W....

Found a review on techPowerUp!...(guys who created ATiTool and GPU-Z)....and they rated it VERY highly...even above some very reputable PSUs...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/Odin_GT_800W

The packaging is beautiful...very very heavy...looks quiet solid...modular cabling is very nice...ROHS, SLI certified, 80PLUS...and its actually quiet silent...

The other nice thing about it, is that you can connect the PSU to a USB header on your motherboard...and you can CONTROL and MONITOR voltages, fan speeds etc...right from the PSU software!!

And 4 PCI express 6-8 jacks is quiet nice as well (Quad SLI)

Quiet nice IMHO...here are some pics...:D

CIMG9229.jpg

CIMG9277.jpg

CIMG9236.jpg

CIMG9237.jpg

CIMG9238.jpg

CIMG9241.jpg

CIMG9245.jpg

CIMG9247.jpg

CIMG9248.jpg

CIMG9249.jpg

Hope it lasts some time....;)

Do you think I should protect the whole rig with a UPS? My AC current always spikes like crazy!!

The PSU came with 4 thermal sensor cables...each with a socket on the back of the PSU...

Temperatures can be read through the PSU's control panel

Can anyone educate me as to how can I attach these sensors to ...say my 2 hard disks, case, and the GPU's heatsink?

Do I use regular tape....or will that melt..?

Thanx..

super glue, you can get almost anywhere. you can probably get it at walmart.

Hot glue, comes from a hot glue gun, which you can also get at walmart.

I probably made it confusing y saying hot/super glue, theyre totally different things.

super glue, you can get almost anywhere. you can probably get it at walmart.

Hot glue, comes from a hot glue gun, which you can also get at walmart.

I probably made it confusing y saying hot/super glue, theyre totally different things.

Ah..ok...

I got the super glue....but isn't it PERMANENT...:confused:

If I use it, can I remove the thermal sensor at a latter time if I wish?

just use acetone (nail polish remover) and that should do wonders in getting it off.

I own a Odin 1200w and it died in 2 months:( I can tell you the RMA dept. stinks, and because of that and not the fact that the power supply died I can't recommend anyone buy anything from gigabyte.

Back