Anyone heard anything about a Haswell based Surface Pro?

Cali3350

Supreme [H]ardness
I am VERY tempted to get a Surface Pro, however it seems like a Haswell variant would be a very large improvement. I hear the battery life is one of the bigger issues with the Tablet, and Haswell would hopefully improve that a lot, and the better graphics are of interest to me. I need a laptop/tablet by August though, and if there's no point in waiting I would rather get it now so I can play with it :p

I think they would be insane not to do it. If they do, I would expect to see it at Build in a couple weeks. The only reason I could think of not to would be the possible alienation of early Surface Pro adopters (however, phone makers get away with 6mo. refreshes... so...).

Personally, I would love to see the potential of a 256gb with 8 gb RAM and Haswell. They are releasing 256gb Surface Pro's in Japan this month, assuming in the US as well and they are just waiting til Build to announce.

We'll see. If they do it, I will be in line to pick one up. Great machine with some minor issues that Haswell would fix nicely.

Also interested in a Haswell based Surface Pro.
It's probably going to happen too, since Haswell's interest was mobile.

I feel like I read somewhere that they were going with an amd processor to reduce price and improve graphics performance.

I feel like I read somewhere that they were going with an amd processor to reduce price and improve graphics performance.

Probably the use of A10s or maybe an A8.
Not a terrible idea, but they are warm, power hungry chips in a mobile form.

Dunno... I'm half-tempted to make a guess that MS may skip a Surface Pro refresh with HWL and wait for the BWL die shrink in order to further improve battery life.

Going with an AMD A8 or A10 would make sense from a cost savings standpoint, but then battery life would would likely suffer considerably, leaving a lot of upset customers since this is a device that is supposed to be for a mobile road warrior and to take business away from the iPad.

I do feel that MS needs to focus on a variety of screen size models for the Surface Pro, like a micro 5" (although there are W8 smartphones that kind of fill that void), mini 7", and maybe an XL 12-15".

Back