Anyone having problems running 6200 procs?

jimh425

Gawd
Anyone having problems running 6200 procs? I've had two motherboards (one 2P Asus, one 4P Supermicro) fail running 6272s.

The only thing in common has been the ram and 2 6272s. In other words, different OS (Ubuntu, Windows Server 2008 R2), different powersupplies, cases, drives, etc. The ram is Kingston 2 GB ECC 1333. BTW, the motherboards seemed to be fine with 6128s, but won't start with 6128s after failing with no fan spin up, for instance.

Of course, I'm folding and so the procs were at 100% until fail. 1 failed in less than a day and the second made it 1 1/2 days.

The powersupplies were Seasonic Gold 650 and a Corsair Bronze 850. According to the kill-a-watt meter, the second system was only using 360 watts at 100%.

No issues at all. I've run them in 4p (H8QGi-f) and 2p configurations (Asus KPGE...).
Actually in both Win7 and various Linux distributions.

I did have to flash the Bios before using them. But no special settings.

Note that 6200's draw more power,

Is your computer randomly rebooting under load? If so, your MOSFETs are overloading and need to be cooled. Either direct fan airflow towards them, or get MOSFET coolers (Enzotech)

If your MOSFETs fail on a SuperMicro board, you won't get a startup beep, just a black screen. You will get beeps if you remove all RAM.

Thermaltake 750 on the 2p
Corsair HX1000 on the 4p

I was pulling 725W from the wall on the 4p.

I'm running the H8QGi-F Supermicro mobo with 4 6272's, as a dedicated folder (OK, ran a few benches for the benching team on request).

OS: Ubuntu 10.04/11.04 and Microsoft Server for the benches

I'm pulling 590 to 635 Watts, depending on the project while folding, about 310 Watts while idle. Loaded the optimal defaults with f9 and changed PowerNow to disabled afterward, then f10 to save and exit the BIOS.

RAM is G.Skill non-ECC 1600MHz, psu is Corsair atx 1200 (a bit of overkill, but it runs very cool while the system is folding).

I've had no problems.

Maybe I have the wrong amount of V but the overall wattage is ok. To be more specific,

my 2p psu is SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W,

+3.3V@25A, +5V@25A, +12V@62A, -12V@1A, +5VSB@3A

my 4p psu is CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850M 850W.

+3.3V@30A, +5V@30A, +12V@70A, [email protected], +5VSB@3A

Thoughts?

4p-wise that should be ok. Just make sure your JPW2 and JPW3 are connected.

I'd rather start looking into most recent changes made to either system.

Am I right to assume that 6128 still boots in the 4p?
What is your BIOS version in the 4p? Did you try resetting CMOS (per manual) ?

tear, the 4p was a new board, so I only used the 6128 for a few hours. I'll try the 6128 again when I get home. The bios is v 2.0. I've pulled the battery, but I can't say I read the manual for how to reset the CMOS if that won't do it. I have JPW2 and JPW3 connected.

All right, see how 6128 fares...

And please do read the CMOS reset section of the manual :)

Just an update, I got my Tyan board back from Tyan RMA support before I got a chance to try the 6128s, so I installed the Tyan without finishing the troubleshooting on the Supermicro board.

However, I will do more troubleshooting after I finish making my bench testing board. I did notice that it has two burned chips near where the front case fan was plugged in, but I noticed after I pulled the Supermicro from my case. There are two very small chips that look smoked. There appears to be nothing on the bottom of the board, and there was no contact with anything on the bottom of the section of the board. I suspect the huge case fan on the Enermax Fullmo GT drawing too much power. So, I plugged that fan into a molex adapter instead of plugging it into the Tyan 4p.

The Tyan at least has made it overnight, and with 2 6272s it is drawing about 320 watts.

Thanks for everyone's help, so far.

Thanks, any idea what would cause that on a new board. BTW, I have a Tyan 4P in the case now running over 24 hours with the same psu, ram, and processors.

I agree on the MOSFETs

The two CPU power VRMs that are found on the H8 series are Infineon BSC050N03LS and BSC020N03LS

Back