Anyone have their 6850's installed?

Tried the STALKER Call Of Pripyat bench on the OCed 6850 (945|1150). I was curious how badly HDAO and the Ultra CS setting would lag it @ 1920x. Below are the settings and results.

The last test reported average FPS oddly. It should obviously read; 26.4|33.2|50.7 :p

Settings-

Results-

Official Cat 10.10s were used not 10.10c.

I'm hoping this card will be able to approach 1010 on the core when voltage adjustment arrives on Afterburner. We will see.

Installed a pair of sapphire 6850 on wednesday. Only had time to play BC2 to test it out. It's very smooth at 1920x1200 with all the details at the highest. Maxed the sliders in Overdrive without a problem. Fans normally run around 30% at idle and up to 45% underload. Temps are 50C at idle and 59C under load (gaming). Fans are very quiet at both idle and load.

They're cute little cards:
xfire6850c.JPG

My two Asus 6850s should be in next Tuesday or so. Can't wait to overclock!

this might be a stupid question, but how come my screen resolution is limited to 1680x1050 only. Obviously it has to do something with my monitor being 22inch. i thought even if my monitor is 22, i can pick higher screen resolution ( not bein native)

this might be a stupid question, but how come my screen resolution is limited to 1680x1050 only. Obviously it has to do something with my monitor being 22inch. i thought even if my monitor is 22, i can pick higher screen resolution ( not bein native)

You cannot use a higher resolution then your monitor allows. I cant go higher then 1920x1200.

Thanks for clearing that up. I really wish i had the core i7, would have been perfect. e8400 is pretty good, Battlefield bad company 2 craves for the quad core system.

Installed a pair of sapphire 6850 on wednesday. Only had time to play BC2 to test it out. It's very smooth at 1920x1200 with all the details at the highest. Maxed the sliders in Overdrive without a problem. Fans normally run around 30% at idle and up to 45% underload. Temps are 50C at idle and 59C under load (gaming). Fans are very quiet at both idle and load
Thanks for posting, I'm very close to purchasing that exact card.
I've loved Sapphire's custom coolers in the past, I have high hopes for this. As always they take too long to get VaporX out.

Is taking off the heatsink+shroud automatic warranty void? I think re-seating and applying some quality paste will help the stock coolers.

p1010824i.jpg

New rig (in signature) with the Gigabyte 6850 that diverges from the reference design (2 fan).

Overall not as quiet as I hoped, but not too shabby.

Is taking off the heatsink+shroud automatic warranty void? I think re-seating and applying some quality paste will help the stock coolers.

depends on your manufacturer. almost all of them allow it now i think. only one ive personally talked to a rep and confirmed its ok is asus, but if you google your aib name and "warranty policy" then you should be able to find their policy explicitly stated whether its ok or not.

My card is up and running at 900/1100. I was able to set that speed in the CCC, no aftermarket program needed.

Anyone played Starcraft 2 on the latest drivers with the hotfix?

When I'm protoss, the area of effect of pylons appear on the low ground, thus invisible whenever I'm on high ground

Anyone played Starcraft 2 on the latest drivers with the hotfix?

When I'm protoss, the area of effect of pylons appear on the low ground, thus invisible whenever I'm on high ground

That's a known issue with the 10.10c hotfix drivers. If it's a big deal, revert back to the 10.10a release.

That's a known issue with the 10.10c hotfix drivers. If it's a big deal, revert back to the 10.10a release.

Not this ^^^ again. :( I'm gonna be considering getting 3 6970s to watercool for Tri Crossfire X in my new build if GTX 580 isn't a better performer, but these things around the forums make me think twice. I was hoping with the 6000 series the drivers would be better. I'll give them more time with the drivers I guess, lets see by the next WHQL how things are. Sorry had to vent that, this is the 3rd thread I saw something like that.

Back on topic. How far have you guys been able to push your cards? Also which cards come with a voltage tweak program, I read there were about 2 brands that offered them. Gonna help a friend order one tomorrow. (he just got paid)

Not this ^^^ again. :( I'm gonna be considering getting 3 6970s to watercool for Tri Crossfire X in my new build if GTX 580 isn't a better performer, but these things around the forums make me think twice. I was hoping with the 6000 series the drivers would be better. I'll give them more time with the drivers I guess, lets see by the next WHQL how things are. Sorry had to vent that, this is the 3rd thread I saw something like that.

Back on topic. How far have you guys been able to push your cards? Also which cards come with a voltage tweak program, I read there were about 2 brands that offered them. Gonna help a friend order one tomorrow. (he just got paid)

I haven't tried pushing mine higher and I don't plan on it. I am very happy with 900/1100 stock voltage. This card at 50% fan speed is more quiet then my 4870 was.

Well tried a few of the games that where slowing down on my 4850 in places. Oblivion and Stalker COP were very smooth. Then I tried Metro 2033 on max detail and it wasn't as smooth as butter but it definitely felt playable and looked great as well, will have to do more testing on it.

I'm using 1680x1050 and right now I'm thinking that at this resolution the card should be able to handle almost anything for quite some time.

I just installed my Sapphire 6850 ($169.95 CAD so I couldn't resist). It seems to idle quite warm at 38 degrees so it's possible I have created a vacuum with my PSU and side panel case fan.

Which cards actually come with a voltage tweak program right now? Plan on ordering with buddy around in a few hours

I have catalyst version 10.10, even though i downloaded straight from the website. where can i can i download 10.10c?

I would like to correct my previous post. My idle is at 38 degrees but Furmark doesn't exceed 74 degrees so the cooling is doing a good job with the fan on auto as my delta is pretty damn good compared to some reviews. My room must just be warmer.

Edited: Temperature after more testing.

Last edited:
a friend just got this 6850
I told him to upgrade his 20'' 1280*1024 monitor though
not sure why he upgraded
what is the point
such a good video card for that crapa* monitor

If you play sc2 then 10.10c is a definite must.. Much improved SC2 performance & looks EXCELLENT on ultra.

I've started testing the 6850 in my old 940 rig. That's the one I'm passing on to my nephew. I tried Heaven v2.1 default @ 1920x 945|1150.

Experimenting with volting it up now with the latest beta MSI Afterburner.

Damn you got a beast if you got all the way up to 945/1150 on stock voltage. I was thinking I had a decent one at 930/1080 lol.

Damn you got a beast if you got all the way up to 945/1150 on stock voltage. I was thinking I had a decent one at 930/1080 lol.

Yeah my stock results are solid. I'm struggling to hold 990 on the core with 1.250 mV in the lastest beta Afterburner though. If I can't get that stable I'm going to say heck with it and sit on 945|1150 stock voltage.

There's my old post showing an hour of Kombustor with Force Unsupported GPU = 1 added to the config file in Afterburner version 200 using stock voltage.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036350964&postcount=41

Last edited:
there's a known issue with xfx 6850 card, Most people who has xfx 6850 will know what i am talking bout. The fan speed is set to 73% idle/full load, XFX already knows about this situation. That bring to my question, flashing bios is it easy? basically, it ll update my bios right? does it mean i have to reinstall windows since the default bios will not recognize windows.

there's a known issue with xfx 6850 card, Most people who has xfx 6850 will know what i am talking bout. The fan speed is set to 73% idle/full load, XFX already knows about this situation.

This could explain the reviews where they mention how loud the xfx is.

This could explain the reviews where they mention how loud the xfx is.

Where the hell do they test these things that they didn't think "hey, this is kinda loud, maybe we should work on the fan speed curves"? In the back of a dump truck driving thru a nitro glycerine plant? :D

Back