Anyone have problems with .net framework sp1?

lastrites

Limp Gawd
Honestly, I don't even know what .net framework is and if I even need this update. I remember reading a bit ago that people saying it was givnig them problems.

Windows update tells me I need it... but do I?

.NET framework allows you to run .NET applications. Certain new programs are starting to be written in the .NET languages (C#, J#. VB.NET) - and in order to run those programs, you'll have to install the framework. If you already have the framework installed (most likely version 1.1), as you obviously do since WU is asking you to download the service pack: go for it.

I've installed it on my computer and it doesn't hurt anything - you won't notice a change unless you do a lot of .NET programming.

Framenet is another example of MS forced down the throat of enduser monopoply capitalism.

Eventually all programs will be written with it and you will have to have it.
For example, if you run AutoCad 2005, it wont run without it installed.
And it will be buggy and have endless service packs.
And of course security holes.
This is a 14.4 MB fix for a 23MB program.

Note all the major fixes already...........
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...a3-7282-4ba9-b26b-2267e972501d&displaylang=en

If you are not NOW having known probs associated with framenet, then dont install SP1, since you dont need anything fixed, and SP1 brings its own probs. Framenet 2.0 beta - dont even think about it.

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=21650
quote:

"My workstation bluescreened twice before booting up normally after applying this service pack. That was not a very nice experience."

.NET Framework (not Framenet) is a new suite of programming languages - which makes programming on the Win32 platform a lot easier. I'm sorry if you don't like the fact that programmers might want to program in modern languages - but not all of us want to write hundred-thousand-line-programs in a programming language developed in the early 1990s.

If you want to run a perl script - you have to install ActivePerl (or something similar). If you want to run a Tcl script, install ActiveTcl. If you want to run a .NET program, you install the .NET Framework.

It's a framework to enable .NET programming kinda the same as the java virtual machine.

Go ahead and install it, most of the problem reports I've read on this forum was stuff that was completely unrelated. Better to be safe then sorry.

i had a weird problem when i installed .net sp1. it slowed all my downloads by half the speed. no luck fixing it the first time. so i formated and tried to install sp1 again and the same thing happend. i found out what i had to do. i had to delete my cookies, history, cache, and passwords. and that fixed the problem. i still dont know why it fixed the proble. but it did, so im not complaining.

cisco guy said:
Framenet is another example of MS forced down the throat of enduser monopoply capitalism.
Wow...
You seemed so "Che Guevara" when i read this...

:p

Back