• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Anyone have issues with AS5?

Joined
Mar 24, 2001
Messages
924
So I have been having som issues with BSOD and other instability issues lately. I finally dove into the computer to reseat the HSF and do some general checking. When I removed the HSF it actually pulled the CPU out with it because the AS5 had literallt turned into a paste like consistancy. I cleaned everything and switched to som AS3 that I had laying around. Now my temps are much lower and so far I have had no stability issues. When I applied the AS5 I usea verry verry verry thin layer as usual. Im wondering if I just got a bad tube or if this new version just isnt worth a crap.
 
I've heard some other people say as5 stuck to their proc and pulled it out of socket. I had my hsf on w/ as5 for about 2months till I pulled it today to move it to a new board and had no problems. And temps between as5 and as2 I have seem to be basically the same. Just my 2cents.
 
Hmmm.. last I read, AS (as3 atleast) will never solidify or change state significantly.

It's sticky, but that's more of a suction thing I think.
 
if there is enough on there to pull the proc out with the heatsink, even if it has hardened, you are using too much.
 
you are using too much

That was my firt thought... "Crap I put on too much"... but im telling ya i used a micro thin layer. Once I got the proc off the HSF I could see the Heat spreader of the P4 with no trouble. The best way I can describ it is it looked like the surface was just oily with a grey color. The issue is when I went to wipe the AS5 it was like rubing off a thermal pad (just not as thick).
 
From my experience with AS, it should be thick enough so that you can't see through it, and about as thick as a piece of paper, if not a bit thinner. Use a credit card or razor blade to smooth it over the heatsink and the CPU core.
 
If you use the new method Arctic Silver recommends its less apt to result in pulling the processor out of the socket.

p4_as_dab1.jpg



http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm
 
Back
Top