• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Anyone have experience with Topower/Epower?

harmattan

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Feb 11, 2008
Messages
5,302
Anyone have experience with Topower/Epower PSUs? I'm considering the following 1500w model for a tri-fire 480 setup. Hopefully, this will be my last PSU purchase for a while: it has 4x6+2-pin, 2x 6-pin cables, is modular and should produce enough power for a medium size electric car.

http://www.aerocooler.com/shop.cart?action=ITEM&prod_id=PWTO1500W

I know Topower supplies for some big vendors (Antec, Etasis, Thermaltake), but haven't ever seen reviews for their direct models...
 
Unfortunatly, I do.

The results were not that good

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1516188

Looking at the reviews from Newegg told me that I wasn't the only one to have that problem.

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry to hear about your blow'ed up PC. If it makes you feel better, I've lost PC parts to both Antec and OCZ PSUs. Did you ever figure out what was faulty? The cabling, transformers...?
 
[H] reviewed a couple of their PowerBird units a while back (http://www.hardocp.com/article/2008/10/07/topower_powerbird_series_power_supplies/1). I needed a power supply for an i7 box for my parents ASAP and since it did well in the review and it was the only decent power supply I could get ahold of locally at the time. I picked one up. It's worked fine. Doesn't mean that all of their power supplies are good, or even adequate, and I don't know how good the one you're looking at is. But they can build OK units, apparently.
 
Yea, looks like the Topower 1500w uses the same design and hardware as the PowerBirds... Thing is, I think it's so new (just saw it show up today...) there are no reviews yet.

Other than the Silverstone (which is significantly more expensive) and the Thermaltake Toughpower (which is more expensive and no where in stock), the Topower looks to be a good 1500w option.

The Ultra 1600w recommended by [H] is way too big for my case and too inefficient for my needs.

Update: Looks like this model is part of their "PowerTrain" line -- specs seem to be heftier than on the PowerBirds.
 
Last edited:
Topower PSUs are generally pretty good. However, if you want a 1500W PSU, the Silverstone ST1500 is the one to get.
 
topower manufacture ocz mod and powerstream, some bfg, tagan, raidmax, aerocool, hipro and mushkin. and i think back in the day they were the oem for some pcp&c psu's. the power supply that evga has picked to share the sr2 branding is an antec tpq-1200 which should be good to power a "tri-fire" 480 setup.
 
I bit (was able to get for just over $300 with a discount code...). The specs and reviews I found on the PowerTrain line are pretty impressive.

I have an extra 480 just sitting here begging to be used. Tri-fire GTX 480, here I come :D
 
Topower is "middle-of-the-road" PSU manufacturer IMHO. I bought a brand new Mushkin XP-800AP PSU for $40.00+ @ my local computer shop. The SKU is discontinued now, hence the great price. Comes with a 5-year warranty, so I couldn't pass it up!

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/mushkin_xp800ap_800w/

I put it into my current rig for 5-6 weeks & stressed it out. It didn't break a sweat & it's fairly quiet w/ 135mm fan. Topower tends to use Japanese-made primary caps, then Taiwanese (or lower) for secondary caps.

As for the failure that the one poster mentioned, that can happen to anyone with any PSU.
 
Thanks for the feedback. Sorry to hear about your blow'ed up PC. If it makes you feel better, I've lost PC parts to both Antec and OCZ PSUs. Did you ever figure out what was faulty? The cabling, transformers...?

Haven't had the time to do any parts swapping or RMAs yet. Been too busy the past two weeks with a kitchen remodel. I really need to get our new cat fixed too =(
 
Back
Top