• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Anyone have an Antec Performance 1?

Ripper

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 3, 2004
Messages
129
Any thoughts on the case? Can anyone tell me if those front bezels can be removed so you can use a 5.25" drive without them? I'd prefer the look of the case without them.

I'm also really concerned with the general noise level from the case. My current computer sounds like a vacuum cleaner - something I'd like to avoid a repeat of.

Finally, any thoughts on the model with the side window versus without it? Is the windowed side solid or are there vents? If there are vents, does it have some device to prevent dust intake?

Thanks very much in advance, guys.
 
Yes the front bezels can be removed so you can use a 5.25" drive without them. See Pic below.

The noise level is not much - it is definately more silent than my old full tower which had 6 extra fans. In the P160 I have the 2 Antec 120mm fans and one more 92mm fan which I have attached to the 3.5" HDD cage to help circulate air across the HDD's. I felt the drives were running a bit hot without this extra 92mm fan.

AntecP1605.jpg
 
Excellent. Thank you very much, Subman.

I don't suppose you know by any chance if an Antec TrueBlue 480w PSU fits the case, do you? This will be my first build experience.
 
Hm... something to think about.

While I'm at it... I just read that the case only comes with one 120mm fan mounted on the rear. I also read that it has a place to mount another 120mm fan in the front of the case by the dust filter.

Did you opt to install a second fan? If so, can you recommend a good quiet one? I'll be starting law school next year and I'll have a very small bedroom. I can't afford to have a loud PC... my current vacuum-esque box is driving me bonkers.
 
I just looked very closely at that NeoPower.... there's no exhaust fan for the PSU? How does that work?
 
there is a 92mm fan on the bottom of the unit... it blows on the units guts and then gets pushed outside.
 
Ripper said:
Did you opt to install a second fan? If so, can you recommend a good quiet one? I'll be starting law school next year and I'll have a very small bedroom. I can't afford to have a loud PC... my current vacuum-esque box is driving me bonkers.

I put a white Antec 120mm fan in front ...... its speed is controlled by a built-in temperature sensor and it is quite silent


Antec 120mm Smartcool Fan
 
There is one bug in this case - the cases Power LED connector is a 2 pin connector whilst most mother boards seem to have a 3 pin header for this LED - the centre pin header on the board is not used. I wonder if all of these cases are built like this or only those sent here :p

I have seen posts by some people that the USB and Firewire connectors on their P160 case have not come with a connector block but with open wires - my case came with connector blocks for both.
 
I have the case and a TruPowerBlu480 installed so it fits fine. Also the windowed version from newegg comes with two antec 120mm fans.
 
So does the windowed version come with blocked leads?

This, again, is my first build... I'm not up to soldering anything. If it showed up from Newegg like that, I'd probably have to RMA it.

By the way.. I've seen how the top of the case has a display that shows the temperature of the CPU. How does that work? Will it function with a socket 939 FX-53?
 
I have a P160, been very happy with it. I'll be modding it some more fairly soon, haven't had the chance yet this summer.

It's not the CPU temperature that's shown on the readout. There are two temperature probes attached to the readout, you can place them where ever you want, it just alternates which temp is being shown. I have videocard and RAM temps being shown, you could do CPU if you wanted to, or case temps, whatever.
 
Ripper said:
So does the windowed version come with blocked leads?

This, again, is my first build... I'm not up to soldering anything. If it showed up from Newegg like that, I'd probably have to RMA it.

My Bad - I should have been more clear in my message above - the cases which come with open wires for the USB2 and Firewire leads have indivitual connectors at the ends, all you need to know is which wire goes to which header on the mother board - this info is normally given on the boards manual. I dont know if this is done because different boards may have different pin layout on their USB2 and Firewire headers. All this is of no importance to me as I am not using these front panel connectors.
 
Ripper said:
I'll be starting law school next year and I'll have a very small bedroom. I can't afford to have a loud PC... my current vacuum-esque box is driving me bonkers.

I have been thinking about this and feel you should consider the Antec 3700AMB or BQE instead of the P160 as these are meant to be more silent than the P160 ... the BQE in the 3700BQE stands for Black Quiet Edition. If you want to read about these cases check out these reviews. The P160 might be the noisiest of the 3 - but it may be the coolest in looks and temperatures :D

3700BQE
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article116-page1.html

3700AMB
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article76-page1.html

P160
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article128-page1.html

EDIT: And the 3700 series cases cost about half of the P160 :eek: If I had to now go back to buying a case I would purchase the 3700AMB - only for the reason that it has 5 3.5" drive bays internaly.
 
Back
Top