Anyone have a Wacom Tablet?

Just wondering what anyone's impressions of them are. I'm a graphic communications major, and I just ordered the Wacom Intuos3 9x12 tablet on newegg. It's perfect for all the photoshop and illustrator work I do, plus probably a bunch of applications I haven't thought of yet.

I have that exact one...also from the egg.

I love it...took some getting use to(been a mouse man my entire computing life), but once I did....you can't pry that thing outta my hands!

Have fun with it.

i just got a graphire3 6x8 for xmas... very fun
hard to get used to but its addicting.

now i just have to really figure out the brushes in pshop

I got a 6x8 Intuos2 recently to replace the older model ArtzPad I used when I was on a Mac. I can't imagine Photoshop without a tablet! One thing I really like is the programmable menu strip. Saves lots of trips to the keyboard. :)

pro and cons to them really.. The biggest pro, at least with the wacom USB tablets is that you can have a normal USB mouse plugged in too and are not forced to use the sort of lame tablet's mouse or even the tablet if you don't want too..

They are of course kick ass for photoshop and all those sort of programs. I'm soooo fast with the wacom now that going back to just a mouse in photoshop feels very very limiting.

Con's is the price really.. I mean I scored a killer deal on a used 9x12 wacom from a friend but it would be nice if they were cheaper and more could get the tablets for say around $200 and not $400+ for a 9x12. I also think that on some level the 9x12 is just too big (6x8 being a perfect size Vs cost trade off IMO), but then again that is not a con being you can scale them to any smaller size you want with the drivers. I only mention it if someone was looking to save some $$$ on buying one. Don't want them to think 9x12 is the only size one should buy.

I would also like if the scale to screen stayed the same with dual screen or with out. In other words with dual monitors running you of course have, with say a 9x12 wacom, 6inches to the left being the end of the far right monitor's screen.. Sep if you have the 2nd screen off, all of a sudden your scale is x2 and you have to move the pen twice as far to go from side to side of the screen.. Just feels 100% different all of a sudden. Would like an option to lock that down so midway on the tablet was always "screen one" scale, even if screen two was not on.

Other then the cost, I really think they are great cpu toy for even the most casual paintprogram user. It will take a little time for a person to get use to the tablet/pen set up but once you do your speed just goes off the chart as far as photoshop work being the pen is just soooo intuitive and natural of an action to have a pen that drawns on the screen. Even just for photoedits and so on.. I think the reason some don't try the tablets more (outside of the cost) is that idea that they are for "art" work only.. Nah.. Anything that requires drawing anything on the screen is helped with the tablet/pen set up. Lasso, moving frames, etc etc etc..

anyone have any advice as far as brushes go?

i've been kinda stuck.

I guess he means just which brushes to use. I start out with the basic ones, make a layer with a rough sketch on it. then make a new layer and make a good outline in a thick black or whatever. then make another layer with color and use the brushes for the texture, depending on what texture you want. thats the way i took it. i made this on my first try, came out pretty decent, but i still gotta get used to it.this

-=PESTILENCE=-, your link didn't work for me.

Back