Anyone have a tutorial or how-to for Hyper-V?

Draugauth

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 29, 2007
Messages
302
I downloaded Hyper-V 2008 R2 and installed it. It is NOT Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V role installed but a stand alone Hyper-V Server OS.

All the Step by Step guides, How-to's, and tutorials I find are for Hyper-V as a role instead of as a stand alone server.

There is no GUI. it is all CLI.

So with that said can anyone help? The documentation given with it doesn't tell you much beyond just installing it.

I tried the Remote Management of Hyper-V per the documentation but it doesn't connect saying that I don't have RPC enabled (which I verified it is started and running).

Thanks in advance.
 
There are some guides on in Microsoft blogs and technet. From a remote administration point of view, it is the same. However, it is a PITA if you don't have another server with the hyper-v tools installed and if the hyper-v server isn't part of a domain.
 
There are some guides on in Microsoft blogs and technet. From a remote administration point of view, it is the same. However, it is a PITA if you don't have another server with the hyper-v tools installed and if the hyper-v server isn't part of a domain.

Or you can use System Center.

That plus rebuilding raids of local drives is why many run it on top of Server 2008 R2 or now Server 2012.

Nice guides here:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinremde/archive/2011/10/31/fy12h1.aspx

Or I know MS has the new 2012 launch event coming up and have free seminars in select cities. http://www.microsoft.com/enterprise/events/signature/#fbid=tgKF2aFjYYQ
 
Back
Top