• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Anyone have a CF setup on p67 here?

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 8, 2003
Messages
4,628
Just wondering what your thoughts/performance was using a CF setup on the new P67 chipset?? What board are you using and does it default to 8x 8x speed??? I've seen some people post that there boards are going to 8x 4x speeds.... yuck! Any input would be great.. thanks
 
not p67, but p55 with x8 x8 with 6850s is great. I would imagine that as long as the board goes x8 x8 you should be fine, even with 6970s.
 
6950CF on a p8p67-pro here. 8x8x you won't notice any significant differences between 16x16x I believe unless you're running crazy resolution on eyefinity.

More importantly IMO is the spacing between the cards, I believe in having at least 2 slots between video cards AND 8x8x or bust. For me this rules out Maximus forumla 4 (which can't even do 16x16x CF) and Gigabyte p67a-ud7 which has 16x16x but the cards will be butted against each other.

Other contenders since I need to move to b3: p8p67-deluxe, p67a-ud5, p8p67-ws revolution. For the price I went with the ws revolution for nf200 @ comparable prices to the ud5.

I ruled out asrock (never tried them) and MSI (bad experiences). TBH I wish gigabyte had a better laid out version of the ud7 but they failed bad this time.
 
Last edited:
i should have ok spacing on the asrock. might be close to getting another 6950. will see :)
 
Got Crossfire 6970 (6950s flashed) and they are running stable and fine on my Asus P8P67 Deluxe (soon to be B3 as it's on it's way from newegg)

No, if any difference to running at 16x16. I have had one bug that noone else has confirmed and I believe it to be a P67 issue and that is in Metro 2033, when I enable DX 11 Depth of field in Portrait eyefinity I get black bars across the screen, this is with either card alone, in crossfire, stock or overclocked settings etc.. doesn't matter if I'm using portrait eyefinity it's black bar ville for me. Landscape (most popular eyefinity) has no problems.

BTW there are other P67 options available

Asus
http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=AoHE7iDJrYucOm0n

Msi
http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-big-bang-p67-marshal-review/
 
Last edited:
i5 2500K @ 4.5ghz (P67)
P7996: http://3dmark.com/3dm11/471219

i5 750 @ 4ghz (P55)
P8760: http://3dmark.com/3dm11/243330

Something wrong there mate. Here is my score

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/797047

I am using standard 6950's with no overclock at all. My i2500k is running at 4.0Ghz on a Foxconn P67A-S motherboard. And that's just a quick run with lots of things running in the background.

I am sure if I unlocked and overclocked my 6950's I would get a score around the 9000 mark. hmmmm tempted to try it now lol.
 
Something wrong there mate. Here is my score

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/797047

I am using standard 6950's with no overclock at all. My i2500k is running at 4.0Ghz on a Foxconn P67A-S motherboard. And that's just a quick run with lots of things running in the background.

I am sure if I unlocked and overclocked my 6950's I would get a score around the 9000 mark. hmmmm tempted to try it now lol.

It was actually x16/x4 which is probably why the score is low.

EDIT: Let me add that these were stock not-unlocked 6950s.
 
Last edited:
Yup Asus P67 EVO.

8x 8x Dual 6970s = Beast

The PCI express 2.0 @ 8x is as fast as 16x in PCI express 1.x

I do think its a limitation and the P67 is a half baked chipset. Cant wait on the final numbers of the 8 core Bulldozer and 900 series chipsets (no pcie3) along with the Intel 2011 sockets with PCIe 3.0.
 
Something wrong there mate. Here is my score

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/797047

I am using standard 6950's with no overclock at all. My i2500k is running at 4.0Ghz on a Foxconn P67A-S motherboard. And that's just a quick run with lots of things running in the background.

I am sure if I unlocked and overclocked my 6950's I would get a score around the 9000 mark. hmmmm tempted to try it now lol.

Man stop weaksaucing that chip..... get it up there at like 4.8. LOL giving you a hard time.
 
It was actually x16/x4 which is probably why the score is low.

EDIT: Let me add that these were stock not-unlocked 6950s.

Ah ok, but still overclocked cards?

I didn't think 16x, 4x would even make that much of a difference.
 
ok, what boards are 8x 8x??? I do not want a 16x 4x ratio....
 
ok, what boards are 8x 8x??? I do not want a 16x 4x ratio....

I know the entire asus P8P67 series above P8P67 Pro are, also keep in mind you could get 16x16 with the more expensive boards that are coupled with a NF200 chip. I linked them before.
 
Ah ok, but still overclocked cards?

I didn't think 16x, 4x would even make that much of a difference.

Yes they were overclocked to the max that CCC would allow (840/1325). They were benched before the unlocks were discovered. I later flashed one of them to the 6970 bios when they were discovered and I ended up bricking it...

Here is the board I have (Asus P8P67-M Pro). I picked this one for it's pure PCI-E expansion slots.

P8P67-M_EVO.jpg


I ran it in x16/x4 because I wanted to space the cards out. When I ran 6950CF on the Maximus III Gene the cards were stacked on top of each other and I did not like the heat and noise they produced. So when I went Sandy I wanted to space them out and also I have a PCI-E sound card. The sound card was placed in the white slot and the 2nd 6950 was in the black slot.

This worked out great as temps and noise were well within tolerance (max temps during gaming was low 80's and fans never went over 40%) ... but alas the motherboard let me down. With everything installed the bios would only allow the following options:

a) AUTO
b) 16, 0, 1, 2
c) 16, 0, 0, 4

Each number represents each PCI-E slot from top to bottom.

Option B would let me sound card work but ran the 2nd GPU at PCI-E x2 which unfortunately disables Crossfire since CF doesn't work at speeds below x4 as I've discovered. I've tried everything but just can't enable CrossfireX and there's no option in CCC.

Option C will run the 2nd GPU at PCI-E x4 but disables the white slot (sound card) completely.

AUTO doesn't work either.

I was lazy to take out the sound card just to bench the cards in x8/x8 so I left them at x16/x4. I refuse to use onboard sound so I ended up selling the 2nd 6950.

Besides, the games that I DO play at 1600p, a overclocked, single 6950 2GB has no problem running them maxed out. I don't play Metro nor Crysis, and I won't be playing Crysis 2 either so I'm happy with what I've got. I also refuse to go Full ATX ... tired of huge cases. Last one was a Lian Li V2100B and that was huge!
 
ok, what boards are 8x 8x??? I do not want a 16x 4x ratio....

Just about every mATX and ATX board has x8/x8 CF/SLI. I only ran x16/x4 because I refuse to stack/sandwich the cards on top of each other. These cards really need to breathe.
 
That's impossible in this case as I have a H50 with 2x 120mm fans in push/pull exhausting out the front.

you can rig it to hang to the side of the video cards. i might do that :). its ghetto rigged but hey do what you gotta do you know? :p

i recommend putting fan grills on either side of the fan as well ;)
 
you can rig it to hang to the side of the video cards. i might do that :). its ghetto rigged but hey do what you gotta do you know? :p

i recommend putting fan grills on either side of the fan as well ;)

There's no room at the side either.

Here's a pic showing the setup I had when I still had the Maximus III Gene. Unfortunately I did not take any pics of the Sandy CF setup. But it's still the same.

IMG_0202.JPG


Here's a pic AFTER I have the HX1000 power supply installed.

IMG_0209.JPG


As you can see there's no room to fit a 120mm in to blow air. I could have set the H50 fans to intake in but then that'd be hot air over 2 already hot video cards. Seems like a bad idea to me.
 
ouch i had no idea :p

does the psu at least exhaust out from the video cards? like the fan on the bottom of it sucks in air near the vid to out hte back?
 
Back
Top