Anyone had their ps3 stop reading disk?

ellover009

[H]ard|Gawd
Just got gta v today, Updated to newest ps3 drivers and installed gta v and patched it.
Played for like 10 mins then had to quit game to go take care of something. Came back, loaded the game, at start of first mission the game froze, Playstation button refused to operate, the on button on front of console refused to do anything, had to use switch in back to get system to stop.
When I rebooted the console it refuses to recognize blue ray and DVD disks.

So far I have tried ps3 safe mode, I have tried restore file system, and eventually later restore ps3 system.

PSN game I had worked fine so I am assuming that the Blueray drive is dead.

I have an early post launch day 60gb model.

yup , had a 40gb fatty stop reading disks . called and sent in it ,lucky me it still had 30 days of warranty left.

it got the blinking red light/yellow a month ago woooo.

I think I am going to try to fix it myself. Sony charges about $150 to fix consoles, I hear half the time they don't send you back your old one and I want to keep my backwards comparability. BlueRay prices are all over the place on Ebay, gotta make sure I find one compatible. There's also a few ways it can be done. The whole drive and all you have to do is transfer the board over to the new one. You can do the optical drive or even the motor depending which one is faulty but I hear there's a lot of gears and things that can go flying out if you are not careful.

Last edited:
My fat PS3 recently stopped reading DVD's but not bluray. Somebody here recommended using a standard lens cleaning kit, but I haven't tried it yet.

Yup. Had to send it in to Sony. This was my original fat ps3 too... After they fixed it 6 years ago it's been going strong. That's actually the most common problem with the PS3s... at least it was.

My fat PS3 stopped reading games disks and a cleaning did not fix it. I ordered a new drive off of eBay for under $50, installed it and everything is back to normal. I don't know if you have a Fat or Slim but the fat is relatively easy to take apart and work on.

Try a disk drive cleaning disk first had that happen and one time the cleaner worked the other I had to open it and clean by hand with qtip and lens cleaner.

It's a fat ps3, a checha01.
I opened it and tried the cleaning process, still not good.
I ordered a replacement drive from eBay for $45, let's see how that plays out. Now I wait for a few days.

It's a fat ps3, a checha01.
I opened it and tried the cleaning process, still not good.
I ordered a replacement drive from eBay for $45, let's see how that plays out. Now I wait for a few days.

Right now GameStop has any used ps3 is 149 even slims. I picked up a white 500gb slim as a extra for 149 you get a free game too.

Since you are going to replace the drive internals, I do highly recommend you have some kind of tweezers or very thin kind of pointy like needle nose pliers around. On my drive there is a very small 2 wire connector on the side of the drive that was a bit of a pain to remove and reinstall the first time. Be careful removing it as it looks kind of fragile so don't pull it by the very thin wires. I used a small curved nose forceps to slowly wiggle it out. Also be sure to eject any disc out of the drive before you take it apart. It'll save you some steps of having to realign the load/eject mechanism later.

One last tip, have a camera around while you take it apart and take pictures as you go. Believe me it'll be easier for you to delete the images from the camera than to search for images/youtube if you get interrupted and then forget how something went on when you get back.

Well here's what happened so far.
Received the part on Friday, Installed it, the console would read disk now but whenever it tried to install gta v and metal gear solid 4 it would install a few mb and then it would cut out. It would also suck in 1/3 of a disk, then spin the disk for like 3 seconds before sucking it in.

So far I have tried.
System restore
Full reformat and
Re installed newest drivers from the recovery menu.

I ended up taking advantage of that gamestop deal for a 320gb ps3 for $150 and the free game just so that I wouldn't spend another week without the ps3.
I contacted the seller, he had a 14 day return warranty, ended up shipping it back and he asked me a bunch of questions regarding of what happened and I told him the process I went through troubleshooting.

He was offering to check it or give me a refund, I am going for the refund since I found a more immediate solution, he's surprised because this was the only drive he's had returned.
He's saying that the lens on my original unit is what probably failed and he can sell me the part for $25 new, I am tempted to try that since I miss having backwards compatibility. Part of me is afraid the problem could be deeper that what I believe and I end up bleeding money on it.

So far here's what I noticed from having an older model and the newer slim.

More HD space out of the box, weights maybe 1/3 less, doesn't have the same heft and presence the old one had. Non glossy cover on new one is much nicer to keep clean, the old one would just collect stuff, was hard to keep clean.
Old one had 4 usb ports vs 2, was handy if you were charging devices, specially if you also had a keyboard connected to it. New one does not have a card reader so now I would have to probably use the slot on the tv providing it accepted cf cards or my sony usb card reader.
The old unit was better insulated so I don't heard the blue-ray drive besides when it loads and ejects, on the new one I can hear it moving around when you install something.
Old one was backwards compatible and could play ps2 games, you could also use your game controller ps button to pull the menu and eject a disk, on the one one you have to get up and push eject button.
New one eject and power on buttons are much nicer. There's a lot more shiny trim pieces (bling) on the old one, and it had a manual power cut switch on the back. 3 prong cable vs 2 prong power cable.
I think the newer unit is a little snappier, it's less bothered when I pull up the playstation menu when running a game. Old unit is probably not running it's best because of age and thermal paste/adhesive has gotten old.

My original fat 60 Gb stop reading disks last year while playing Dark Souls (some items would disappear while playing).

I didn't try to fix it or anything and only went to the store and bought the Uncharted 3 bundle. Kept the old one for the bedroom for streaming and external HDD reading (which was never installed :p )

Well here's what happened so far.
Received the part on Friday, Installed it, the console would read disk now but whenever it tried to install gta v and metal gear solid 4 it would install a few mb and then it would cut out. It would also suck in 1/3 of a disk, then spin the disk for like 3 seconds before sucking it in.

So far I have tried.
System restore
Full reformat and
Re installed newest drivers from the recovery menu.

I ended up taking advantage of that gamestop deal for a 320gb ps3 for $150 and the free game just so that I wouldn't spend another week without the ps3.
I contacted the seller, he had a 14 day return warranty, ended up shipping it back and he asked me a bunch of questions regarding of what happened and I told him the process I went through troubleshooting.

He was offering to check it or give me a refund, I am going for the refund since I found a more immediate solution, he's surprised because this was the only drive he's had returned.
He's saying that the lens on my original unit is what probably failed and he can sell me the part for $25 new, I am tempted to try that since I miss having backwards compatibility. Part of me is afraid the problem could be deeper that what I believe and I end up bleeding money on it.

So far here's what I noticed from having an older model and the newer slim.

More HD space out of the box, weights maybe 1/3 less, doesn't have the same heft and presence the old one had. Non glossy cover on new one is much nicer to keep clean, the old one would just collect stuff, was hard to keep clean.
Old one had 4 usb ports vs 2, was handy if you were charging devices, specially if you also had a keyboard connected to it. New one does not have a card reader so now I would have to probably use the slot on the tv providing it accepted cf cards or my sony usb card reader.
The old unit was better insulated so I don't heard the blue-ray drive besides when it loads and ejects, on the new one I can hear it moving around when you install something.
Old one was backwards compatible and could play ps2 games, you could also use your game controller ps button to pull the menu and eject a disk, on the one one you have to get up and push eject button.
New one eject and power on buttons are much nicer. There's a lot more shiny trim pieces (bling) on the old one, and it had a manual power cut switch on the back. 3 prong cable vs 2 prong power cable.
I think the newer unit is a little snappier, it's less bothered when I pull up the playstation menu when running a game. Old unit is probably not running it's best because of age and thermal paste/adhesive has gotten old.

Idk how you feel about it but the original fat ps3 to me is indispensable. I would have sent it to Sony and paid them the $150 to fix it. They give you a 90 day warranty too. Same thing happened to me about 2 years into my PS3's life after I got it on launch day. The backwards compatibility of the original ps3 with all ps2 and ps1 games is a absolute must for me. Been running on strong since.

Pretty sure Sony no longer guarantees you will get same console back or even same model of ps3. Good chance if I sent my ps3 to sony they would sent me another repaired unit that's not backwards compatible.

Pretty sure Sony no longer guarantees you will get same console back or even same model of ps3. Good chance if I sent my ps3 to sony they would sent me another repaired unit that's not backwards compatible.

That is not true I just had my original done and that was the first thing I asked them. I got my launch unit back.

What was wrong with your console? how much was the repair?

Was 150 ylod on launch unit. Same price I paid before with my other fatty that one was bad disc drive. They are pretty friendly on the phone just call they will answer your questions

Back