Anyone had an exploding enermax?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meatfestival

[H]ard|Gawd
Mine just did. It was a 600w noisetaker SLI cert.

It has worked great for over a year... then today I come home and my brother tells me the PC shut off while he was using it. He couldn't get it to power back on.

I switched the PSU off, unplugged and left it for a while. Plugged back in, flicked the switch and I instantly get a cloud of sparks and smoke from the PSU.

It's under warranty, but... I am so fucking pissed off right now.

Wow. I'd suggest you unplug it from everything, ASAP. I hope you didn't lose any hardware :(

Sounds like it died. It's a quality PSU so:

1) Your situation is fairly rare
2) It probably didn't take any hardware down with it

Just send it back.

dBTelos said:
Sounds like it died. It's a quality PSU so:

1) Your situation is fairly rare
2) It probably didn't take any hardware down with it

Just send it back.

Enermax is a quality PSU? Mediocre at best when compared to seasonic, PCP&C, corsair, etc, which explains why it died--just after a year too.

cambrian said:
Enermax is a quality PSU? Mediocre at best when compared to seasonic, PCP&C, corsair, etc, which explains why it died--just after a year too.
Enermax may not be high-end, but they do make very good PSUs. I have an Enermax Whisper 431w that has been working great for over 4 years.

A PSU can die at anytime. I don't care who makes it.

cambrian said:

thats the dumbest assumption i've heard in quite some time

cambrian said:
I disagree. I've had an Enermax since 2004, and it's powered a dual p3 and between one and 14 drives during that time. No problems, voltage fluctuations, unexplained shutdowns, or anything during those two years. Not a very good data sample, but neither is yours.

cambrian said:

Um, not sure where you've been but Enermax psu's are definitely high quality, right along side of Corsair's. Sure, they might not meet up to PC&C in some ways, but to call them mediocre is dumb.

meatfestival said:
Mine just did. It was a 600w noisetaker SLI cert.

It has worked great for over a year... then today I come home and my brother tells me the PC shut off while he was using it. He couldn't get it to power back on.

I switched the PSU off, unplugged and left it for a while. Plugged back in, flicked the switch and I instantly get a cloud of sparks and smoke from the PSU.

It's under warranty, but... I am so fucking pissed off right now.

Step 1 : Breathe

Step 2 : realize that ALL psu manufacturers can have a part fail. Yours wasn't new, so, obviously, it USED to work. Number one cause of PSU failures is the power out of the wall. Are you on an ups? 750VA or greater?

I've had L&C psu's last 5 years, (and everyone knows they are crap) and I've had PCP&C not last me 6 months.

Enermax is a good brand. I have an EG651P-VE in mine running 12 hdds, sli, and athlon dual core. When I upgrade to my C2D rig soon, with either 7950GX2 sli's, or maybe crossfire, I'm going to get the enermax galaxy 850 (or I'm going to pull 6 harddrives..)

My eg651 has been running my system since when the athlon 1ghz launched.

cambrian said:
seasonic, PCP&C, corsair, etc, which explains why it died--just after a year too.

A little redundant, seeing as how seasonic makes the corsair psu's.

cambrian said:

Clearly you dont speak from your own experience.
I'm running an old 430W Enermax with a 15A 12V rail on a 50% overclocked Athlon 64 and X1800XT clocked to PE.
Its been fantastic with this setup for nearly a year now despite my kit needing over 23A on 12V.
It worked flawlessly for almost 2 years before that as well.

This is the most amazing PSU I've ever used!
I would like to know how you concluded that performance of other PSU's can determine why it died after a year??

CyberDeus-RagDoll said:
Step 1 : Breathe

Step 2 : realize that ALL psu manufacturers can have a part fail. Yours wasn't new, so, obviously, it USED to work. Number one cause of PSU failures is the power out of the wall. Are you on an ups? 750VA or greater?

I've had L&C psu's last 5 years, (and everyone knows they are crap) and I've had PCP&C not last me 6 months.

Enermax is a good brand. I have an EG651P-VE in mine running 12 hdds, sli, and athlon dual core. When I upgrade to my C2D rig soon, with either 7950GX2 sli's, or maybe crossfire, I'm going to get the enermax galaxy 850 (or I'm going to pull 6 harddrives..)

My eg651 has been running my system since when the athlon 1ghz launched.

A little redundant, seeing as how seasonic makes the corsair psu's.

and seasonic also makes PCP&C's new silencer line.

unhappy_mage said:
Wow. I'd suggest you unplug it from everything, ASAP. I hope you didn't lose any hardware :(

[asshole hat] Well, he did loose his PSU..[/asshole hat] ;)

wee96 said:
Um, not sure where you've been but Enermax psu's are definitely high quality, right along side of Corsair's. Sure, they might not meet up to PC&C in some ways, but to call them mediocre is dumb.

wow i didn't realize speaking from personal experience can get so many people riled up. Just stating my experience after 2 Enermax PSUs. Yours might differ. Ever since I switched to Fortron and PCP&C, I've had no problems. A friend of mine had an Enermax PSU that produced some smoke after a few months of use too. What I've stated is certainly personal experience and of course, opinion and deserves to be interpreted as such but it certainly doesn't deserve name calling.

Yes..I went thru 2 of 480watt..I thought I was the only one.

Nothing like hearing a loud pop comming from your puter

Personal experience from dying PSUs usually doesn't mean much unless you've had about 10 yrs with over 200 of the same supply. Other then that it's best to just take the quality of the supply and that should tell you how likely it is to last 5yrs or more, die within a week, etc. Of course, a Zippy could die a couple minutes after you hook it up, and a Leadman can last for 5yrs+. But would saying "Zippy is crap and Leadman is great" just because of your situation make sence? No. Enermax isn't Seasonic quality, usually...but they're great, quality, PSUs. And to tell you the truth, with the randomness of power spikes, voltage fluxuations, etc from both an Enermax and Seasonic supply...I'm going to say that you can't exactly count on a Seasonic PSU to last longer then an Enermax. Just because they're so similar in quality. The PC P&C Silencers and Corair HX supplies are both made by Seasonic so it seems your just jumping on the "most expensive" boat.

"Personal experience from dying PSUs usually doesn't mean much unless you've had about 10 yrs with over 200 of the same supply"

Says WHO! You...I had a bad persoanl experience with Enermax 480w and it means a lot to me. If you could qualify your statement and back it up with hard data, I am all ears. I have been building computers for over 17 years, so again why does my personal experience not count and your Opinion does?

I had an enermax PSU blow on me the second day...so I have steered clear from that company since then.

it was the 535 watt series

sdgserv said:
Says WHO! You...I had a bad persoanl experience with Enermax 480w and it means a lot to me. If you could qualify your statement and back it up with hard data, I am all ears. I have been building computers for over 17 years, so again why does my personal experience not count and your Opinion does?
Statistically, though, one or two power supplies doesn't mean a lot. That's all he's saying.

unhappy_mage said:
Statistically, though, one or two power supplies doesn't mean a lot. That's all he's saying.
I understand what you are saying. 2 for me and who knows for everybody else. I have used Enermax PS in God knows how many comps. When one Pop's in front of a Customer, stats go out the door. Along with the customer...

Anyway, no biggy:)

Exactly. Say you bought 20 Enermax Libertys, and they all died within a year. In reality this doesn't mean much, because PSUs can die so randomly. So maybe you'd never buy a Enermax PSU again, but you shouldn't be spreading that around the forums, because it isn't that accurate.

Well, I could say I had a bad experience with an Antec TruePower (it blew after a few days) and tell people not to buy Antec PSUs. Antec's history with blowing caps would even further my argument. But, I have built other systems with Antec PSUs (older ones with the bad caps) and so far no problems. Call it luck, I guess.

My replacement PSU was delivered today - it's the same spec but it's a Noisetaker 2. Anyone know what improvements have been made? Hopefully less prone to exploding...
Gonna hook it up now, hope the rest of my PC made it unscathed.

I had the same thing happen to me. I came back from watching a movie and my computer was off, and also my UPS had somehow shut it self down too. After trying to get my UPS back on to no avail, I plugged my computer directly into the wall...
Hit the power switch and kaplooey! magic smoke and a nice burnt electronic smell. I don't know part caused which to fail but needless to say I got replacements for both and then some from Belkin for the UPS.

I was using an Enermax 600w Noisetaker SLi Cert also.

Powering the rig in my sig +1 hard drive.

Oh, the PSU was in my system for about 6 months before it popped. I think my hardware was just stressing it too much IMO.

I have 3 enermax 600 watt noisetakers, the 2nd one i got killed the best rig in my sig along with most if not all the stuff inside the rig, also a shitload of usb devices, the cpu was a 4400 and the physics ppu wasnt in the pc at the time, everything in the specs except the 8800gtx and the physics ppu, ow and the soundcard was a audigy 2zs instead of x-fi, but it killed the whole caboodle.

I wouldnt class them as highend, I would class them as better than average but not as good as pc power and cooling and the likes.

But I am still running 2 atm, and they have worked thus far without any problems, so maybe I just got a bum psu, as the rig was brand new when it happened, so i guess it was shipped faulty ????

Hooked up new PSU.

Computer won't start up.

My motherboard's flea power LEDs come on, as does the ethernet port, but when I press the power switch, I hear a tic as the fans come on for half a second, then they go off again. The motherboard's 4 diagnostic LEDs also flash on for a moment. I've tried disconnecting all but the bare minimum components necessary, but it's no good. If I hold the power button in, it just does the on/off thing continuously.

Any ideas?

I'm going to dig out an old motherboard and see if I can get the PSU to power that up, just to make sure the new one is OK.

Exact same thing happens with the old motherboard, only I don't have a CPU for it, so I'm not sure if that's of any significance... I tried connecting a few drives and fans to it just to see, but nope...

I think I read something about PSUs and how they won't stay powered on if there is not enough load on it... I'm guessing the lack of a CPU was the reason for the old mobo not staying on, could the same also be true for my current rig? (eg the CPU got fried)

What board?

If it's a Socket 775, it's not going to stay powered up w/o a CPU.

And don't jumper the turn-on lead with the 4-pin or 8-pin hooked up to the board either. I fried a board that way once.

The old one with no CPU is a Socket A board. Current one is a DFI Lanparty NF4 (skt 939). I haven't been shorting any jumpers to switch it on - it has a power switch on the board itself. When you say 4-pin / 8-pin are you referring to the extra +12v power for the CPU?

meatfestival said:
The old one with no CPU is a Socket A board. Current one is a DFI Lanparty NF4 (skt 939). I haven't been shorting any jumpers to switch it on - it has a power switch on the board itself. When you say 4-pin / 8-pin are you referring to the extra +12v power for the CPU?

Yes. The CPU power.

If it's a Socket A and a Socket 939, then it should start w/o a CPU in the socket.

I hooked up my new PSU to my dad's PC and it powers up fine, so I can take that out of the equation. I also tested my ATA drives and sound card in his PC and they were OK. It seems quite likely that it is the motherboard. I'll see if I can borrow a PCI express graphics card from a friend just to make sure it's not that.

I will say you can weed out no name ones. Its luck of the draw too. I haven't had a power supply die on me yet.

My Enermax Liberty 620W blew up last week - still under warranty, 9 months old. First PSU I've ever had die on me, though also the one with the heaviest load by far.

Had to chuckle when I ran across this thread...

I went through a nightmare with the 600w Noisetaker SLI certified when it first came out. I went through three of them in a month or so. Two of them went out with sparks flying straight up the wall, the third treated me to some serious heart damage when it sounded like a gun going off...pop...pop...There goes the caps...

I received all three from Newegg. After the 3rd went bad, I contacted Enermax directly, who was very friendly, and overnighted me a replacement "after" they tested the psu thoroughly and let it run for 24 hours in the office.

I remember going back a few months later and seeing alot of negative reviews on the power supply at Newegg. The tech I spoke to said it was a bad batch, but I don't know for sure. I think he also mentioned something about they could have been damaged in shipping...sound like an excuse to me.

Wish they could of reimbursed me for the electrician I had come out to the office to make sure all of my lines were kosher...I've never heard of anyone going through 3 psu's in a month.

I thought I might be possibly shorting it out on the case somewhere so I installed one in my workshop sitting on my techstation, and it lasted for about 9 hours before it sparked out and spewed white dust out the back.

I sat here for many nights with the 4th just waiting for it to explode until it faded into distant memory...Still have it in it's box right here, but no longer use it except for a test psu.

Wouldn't sell it to anyone.

I'll add, during the whole fiasco, I didn't lose a single part. I also owned several of their 420 or 430? watt Noisetakers and that is what sold me on Enermax to begin with, they were solid as a rock.

Liquid Cool

i'll buy it from you. :D

btw, your not supposed to sign your posts....

Had to chuckle when I ran across this thread...

I went through a nightmare with the 600w Noisetaker SLI certified when it first came out. I went through three of them in a month or so. Two of them went out with sparks flying straight up the wall, the third treated me to some serious heart damage when it sounded like a gun going off...pop...pop...There goes the caps...

I received all three from Newegg. After the 3rd went bad, I contacted Enermax directly, who was very friendly, and overnighted me a replacement "after" they tested the psu thoroughly and let it run for 24 hours in the office.

I remember going back a few months later and seeing alot of negative reviews on the power supply at Newegg. The tech I spoke to said it was a bad batch, but I don't know for sure. I think he also mentioned something about they could have been damaged in shipping...sound like an excuse to me.

Wish they could of reimbursed me for the electrician I had come out to the office to make sure all of my lines were kosher...I've never heard of anyone going through 3 psu's in a month.

I thought I might be possibly shorting it out on the case somewhere so I installed one in my workshop sitting on my techstation, and it lasted for about 9 hours before it sparked out and spewed white dust out the back.

I sat here for many nights with the 4th just waiting for it to explode until it faded into distant memory...Still have it in it's box right here, but no longer use it except for a test psu.

Wouldn't sell it to anyone.

I'll add, during the whole fiasco, I didn't lose a single part. I also owned several of their 420 or 430? watt Noisetakers and that is what sold me on Enermax to begin with, they were solid as a rock.

Liquid Cool

My 500w Liberty has been going strong for over a year now, without showing any bad signs. That said, until a few weeks ago it wasn't really being stressed. Now we'll see how it will hold up against my new kit, which uses more power.

Overall, Enermax seems to make very good PSUs, even if one product didn't turn out so well. More people are willing to log onto the internet to complain, than to give praise.

My Liberty 620 exploded on Christmas Eve. Now, Enermax hasn't responded in 3 day over my RMA inquiries where they were great before. I hate poor customer service, it annoys the shit out of me. They signed for my PSU on 1/5, and I've heard nothing since.

I have nothing but probems with dead Enermax power supplies. I stay away from them now.

1) Holy thread resurrection, batman

2) Yeah, I have a lot of problems with the dead ones, too :)
Dead antecs, dead enermaxs, dead pcp&c.. you just can't trust a dead PSU anymore, can you?

FWIW, the EG-651 I talked about 3 OR 4 MONTHS AGO in this thread is still in service (just, not powering my 8gb, c2q-x6700, 3.5Tb system with 8800GTS...

It's what.. 5 years old now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back