• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Anyone got a Canon S50?

didjerama

n00b
Joined
Oct 11, 2002
Messages
48
hey all,

as above, i got one for xmas with tripod :D, and its great, but whats the best way to take night shots and sunsets with?
 
I'd like to know as well. I'll probably be getting one of these in the next month or so. What size memory card did yours come with (or are you using)? I'll probably end up getting a 256 with mine, but if you are using the stock 32MB one i'd like to know if it is an adequate amount of storage. I take it the picture quality is pretty damn good? I'll be replacing an old Canon 35mm film camera that my parents had for about 15+ years.:D Hope it serves as a good replacement.
 
I'm a fellow S50 user. The only way to go for night shots is full manual mode or Av/Tv if you prefer that, personally I like full manual. Other than that use the light meter and start taking some pictures. When taking shots directly into the sun take a light meter reading in a darker spot and not directly on the sun if you want anything but complete darkness everywhere else. Picture quality is quite good but Mr. Bucket would like to tell you otherwise.
Here's a few of mine:

Spain%20Full%20104.jpg


Spain-026.jpg


Las%20Vegas%20Sept%202003%20067.jpg


Las%20Vegas%20Sept%202003%20079.jpg


IMG_2219_filtered.jpg


Spain-Full-206_filtered.jpg


Spain-174.jpg


Spain-078.jpg
 
Wow, i can't wait to get this camera. What kind of functionality does it have? Macro? Time lapse? Like your B/T shutter speeds( i think that is what they were on my old canon it has been a long time since i last used it for Photography class) ? i am curious since i have yet to own a DIgital Camera, i always have used the 35mm film one that i had, until it recently broke.
 
OMG!!!! I just bought this camera and it is the best non-dSLR camera out there! I did tons of research before I settled for this particular model. I love the night shots; they're absolutely incredible!

PS: I also got a replacement battery (1000mAh), which lasts a whole lot longer than Canon's original NB-2L lithium ion battery, which is only rated at (570mAh). Oh yeah, and i also bought a 1GB compact flash card...., just incase. :)
 
I would highly recommend a second batter to anyone that takes pictures especially with flash. this thing really does eat it up (took like 60 shots on a full charge using flash and raw mode) which for me isnt enough for a good night.
but the canon rocks. i have a S45, which some say has a better CCD (less noise).
For night shots, manual is definatly the way to go. tripod is a must. for sunsets, i sometimes use the auto exposure, but you need to do it just right. it kinda sucks that there is no lense attatchments like a UV filter.
 
You'll definately want a larger CF card. I have an s40 and find that my 256mb card is even somewhat limiting. I'd recommend either 2x256's or 1x512. They are so cheap right now (especially after rebates) that it makes no sense not to get a bigger one.
 
glad I ran across this thread :)

I have been shopping for a new cam... was seriously considering the A80... then found the S50 for $350 from http://www.electricsam.com .. I bought it earlier today.. should be showing up soon.

I've been using a Sony 2.1 mp cam for about 3 years now, and it's time to upgrade :) although the Sony has done me very well, and has never (knock on wood) failed me, it is lagging in the megapixels :) (DSC S50) ... so I'll be another happy S50 owner to post pics here soon... I love night photos and I love macro... anyone have any good macro's they've taken ?

Thanks!!!
 
woahh!! how do you take such good night shots. Which setting do you use? I always get too much noise on my pictures without the flash
 
Originally posted by ycchan
woahh!! how do you take such good night shots. Which setting do you use? I always get too much noise on my pictures without the flash

Are you using an S50?
 
Then it should be no problem.

Set the ISO to 50 and use the "Tv" mode, (aka shutter priority). Set the shutter speed from 3 to 15 seconds, use a tripod and the 2 second timer, and you should be set.
 
Back
Top