• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Anyone got a Canon A40?

~Cursed~

Gawd
Joined
Dec 15, 2000
Messages
828
HELP!!!

My card reader broke, and I'm trying to get all of the pics/vids off of my camera with the supplied USB cord.

Problems:

I don't have all of the software with me.

I'm in Iraq for another week, so getting the software is out of the question.

I downloaded what I could off of the Canon website...it'll only let me transfer pictures.


I'd like to get these movies off of my camera so I can give them to the rest of my crew here...I won't be seeing them again after this week.

Any suggestions you guys can give would be awesome!!
 
Dumb question, but after you plug it in and Windows detects it, did you see if it by chance created a removeable drive in My Computer? I don't know which OS you're running there. But, with my Fuji, I don't even use the supplied software any more because both 2000 and XP see it as being a USB storage device and already have drivers for it.

Just a thought. Unfortunately I don't have an A40, my was has an Elph S230 though, and that's how I get pictures off of her camera too, although I'll admit I haven't tried it without using the Canon supplied software, but even with the Canon software, I could still get to it like a normal drive to copy it.

Good luck! Hope it helps some!
 
Originally posted by blackedge
Dumb question, but after you plug it in and Windows detects it, did you see if it by chance created a removeable drive in My Computer? I don't know which OS you're running there. But, with my Fuji, I don't even use the supplied software any more because both 2000 and XP see it as being a USB storage device and already have drivers for it.

Just a thought. Unfortunately I don't have an A40, my was has an Elph S230 though, and that's how I get pictures off of her camera too, although I'll admit I haven't tried it without using the Canon supplied software, but even with the Canon software, I could still get to it like a normal drive to copy it.

Good luck! Hope it helps some!

Using Win2k.

Nope, didn't work...windows recognizes that it's a device, and the downloadable software will let me transfer all images...bot no movies...

Doesn't show up as a drive either...my card-reader would, but the camera doesn't.

Thanks anyway.
 
Originally posted by ~Cursed~
Using Win2k.

Nope, didn't work...windows recognizes that it's a device, and the downloadable software will let me transfer all images...bot no movies...

Doesn't show up as a drive either...my card-reader would, but the camera doesn't.

Thanks anyway.

if the camera is displayed in my computer as a device, you can just open it up, drag and drop the images and their should be a filder there listed as 'misc' or something along those lines. If i recall correctly, thats where the movies are.
 
Originally posted by HydroSqueegee
if the camera is displayed in my computer as a device, you can just open it up, drag and drop the images and their should be a filder there listed as 'misc' or something along those lines. If i recall correctly, thats where the movies are.

What I meant to say was, Windows recognizes the camera, but does not add anything in My Computer...
 
Hmmm.. That was the only thing I could think of off the top of my head. Let me go digging on Canon's website and see what I can find. I would imagine there's a driver on there somewhere that would allow it to be seen as a drive.

EDIT: Which of the software on the web did you try using? Also, which software normally allows you to get the movies off? I can't imagine that there isn't a driver that allows it to be accessed as a USB drive available for it, but of course, I don't know for sure since I don't have that camera.
 
can't you do it when you get home and then email the movie to them? or email a cd with the movie on it
 
That's what I was thiniking. Just take down their mailing address and you can send them a CD once you get home.
 
That's the big weakness of Canons (at least the A40 series, which I own, and I ditched the crappy software ages ago, sorry) - it uses a twain driver, so it does NOT show up as a drive from which you can drag and drop - you need something that recognizes the twain interface.

Its the one thing thats been keeping me from buying another Canon - the twain interface is NUTS.

BB
 
Originally posted by BB Gun
That's the big weakness of Canons (at least the A40 series, which I own, and I ditched the crappy software ages ago, sorry) - it uses a twain driver, so it does NOT show up as a drive from which you can drag and drop - you need something that recognizes the twain interface.

Its the one thing thats been keeping me from buying another Canon - the twain interface is NUTS.

BB

which is why most people use card readers since they are usually faster anyway, which is what he was doing but unfortunately it failed...

i would tell you to take down their email/mailing address and just mail it to them after you get home and get a new card reader...

dont suppose you can get another one in iraq eh? maybe have one sent to you fom germany? i know we have military stuffs there
 
I know, I use a card reader as well. I still think the decision to use twain sucks *ss though - it practically requires that you use a card reader. One more thing to carry to maintain image portability(significanly fewer than everyone owns a card reader, nearly everyone has a USB port) when away from your own computer. And, as we see above, one more thing to break...

BB
 
Back
Top