Anyone good with windows firewall?

bigstusexy

2[H]4U
Stop laughing!

Here is the deal and the why of why this post is here and not OS (hopefully the mods see it this way too)

I've been having a problem with win8 and my domain network at work. Metro/Modern UI apps are blocked but not classic apps. I'm not sure if this is completely window's fault or perhaps there is something to my network as well. It blocks communication with items outside my network, not within in it. I've finally found metro ping program, although it doesn't use ICMP I don't care I just need to make a connection from app to something else. It has confirmed my thoughts as well.

My network from where I am should only have to hit the
core router (no real connection rules or filtering)
Transparent Barracuda Web Filter
Watchguard Firebox
Router out to the Internet
2nd Router out to the internet

Any thoughts, similar issues?

So far this is only one machine but if MS continues this way and if we deploy it even in limited numbers I want to be able to fix this issue. I've tracked the issue to being windows firewall. It literally blocks all metro app contact, from DNS to actual connections.

Now, all I have to do is turn off the firewall service. Apps work as well again. However now it seems that the store gets mad that its not running and refuses to update apps.

I do have a policy that says to not allow the windows firewall to run, and one that says turn off the service. I have to be able to overwrite that because I'm doing that locally. I'm going to try and exempt my machine from those policies.

I have seen the firewall logs showing blocks, I have tired to make rules like allow everything, I've told it to turn it off on a domain and it still does it.

On your windows 8 machine, does it show as a Private/Domain connection, or as a Public Connection?

Thanks for checking in guys!

Mackintire: I'm not sure, I think I've looked in booth, I've set things via the almost no control screen and via the MMC

RocketTech: Its set to domain profile.

Back