Anyone good with Linux web servers, dns entries, email, etc?

OutKlast

Weaksauce
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Is there anyone who is good with linux web servers (in particular CentOS) both in properly configuring them (shoring up security issues, stability issues). As well as creating DNS entries, FTP access, setting up an email server with web access, basic stats, readying it for web use (CGI, PHP etc). Basically I have a VPS running CentOS with webmin that needs to be configured. I’ve played with linux before but don’t have the skill or passion to really set it up correctly. I did write the DNS entries only to have them wiped out when I had to reformat due to a security breach. I’m not a business or anything just a guy with a few random domains to throw some pictures up on it and a few other random things. I’m basically looking for someone to set it up for me and in exchange I’d be willing to pay them a small fee.
To recap, looking for someone who can: (on a single server, multiple domains, single IP)

(1) Configure CentOS for webuse (correct any security and/or stability issues)
(2) Create DNS entires, configure to run as a webserver
(3) Install email server with webaccess client (squirrel mail or something like that, with web interface to add addresses, quotas etc)
(4) Install & configure FTP access, preferably with web interface to add users with varying access; if not basic root + general access account.
(5) Install & configure basic stats monitoring (referring URL, data usage, hits, etc)
(6) Configure Apache webserver & configure as necessary for web use to run CGI, PHP, etc

I have a friend that was going to do this for me in exchange for some photos of mine but he’s been pretty busy with school and work (Oracle programmer). So, this is how it would play out (1) You configure the server as requested, make minor tweaks if necessary; (2) My friend (the programmer/UNIX guy) will look over your work along with myself to verify everything is up to par and operational; (3) I will paypal or send you a MO for ~$75-150 depending on how well everything was setup.

If you’re interested send me a PM(email doesn’t work… no email server) with (1) a brief summary of your experience, (2) a brief list of applications you plan on using, (3) expected time to complete, (4) your fee expectation. I don’t care if you’re 12 or 85 years old as long as you know your stuff.

Thank you for your time. :cool:
-Thomas

I know you're not intentionally trying to stiff anyone, but that's quite a laundry list of things to do. It's worth significantly more than $75-150.

That could easily take 8+ hours.

If I were you, I would really look into getting cPanel or something like that. That will do everything (and more) you're asking automatically with very little hassle.

I don't know about 8 hours. I was hoping someone already kind of had a pack ready that they could just install, tweak the necessary settings and it should be set. CentOS is already installed and semi-configured, Apache is installed, DNS entries are not to terribly difficult to do especially if you know what you're doing. I probably made it sound worse then it really is; it should be pretty straightforward package install, tweak and go. I had (prior to the security breach) the DNS entires running and the web function working.

I've used Cpanel in the past and its ok but I talked to my hosting company and that would run almost 45% more per month then what I currently pay which is overkill considering I'd just need it for the one time setup of things then after that it would be pretty squared away.

I do appreciate the feedback though I know its probably low for someone that does this for a living or a certified pro but I figured maybe out there in hardforum land there was a younger guy/college student that has some knowledge about this stuff and wants to get a little practice with a non-mission critical layout and earn a few extra $$ on the side.

;)

Try Webmin (www.webmin.com), it's free, just make sure to use SSL or tunnel in using SSH for security purposes.

Webmin is installed but a lot of the packages are missing or missing parts. Thats how I got owned the first time around logging into webmin with the root password to upload files because I don't have FTP setup.

I will paypal or send you a MO for ~$75-150 depending on how well everything was setup.

Anyone worth their salt in Linux/Unix would never work for such peanuts. You may find someone learning who would be interested, but to shore up a server for you and lock it down for $150? Good luck.

Not much difference of walking into a car repair shop and asking someone to put brakes on your car for $150, sure you might find someone to do it. But I'd question the work quality.

To those have sent me PM's I forgot to include it in my original message but I'm going to wait until Sat or Sun (5/24-25) then I will be sending out PM's with any further questions I have then picking someone to work on my VPS.

Thank you everyone! ;)

Back