Anyone gone from a 6800NU to X800Pro?

Sizer

Limp Gawd
Performance increase, ESPECIALLY in Source? Better AA quality?

Was it worth the switch?

edit: Please, no comments about GTs. I'm considering it but Nvidia's performance with AA and Source left a bad taste in my mouth.

No thread crapping please. I'm looking for personal experiences here.

My personal experience is that people that do reviews actually do have personal experience with the hardware and that's the whole point of a review but hey that's just my experience.

~Adam

If everyone was to be an annoying idiot like you and cry about looking at reviews then 90% of the threads here would have no point Stop it.

yeah dude be respectful....i have no personal experiance..but i wouldnt change if i had the NU....cause of the features that the 6800 supports that the 800 dosnt..and its really easy to flash to a GT and get alot for your money. There is no need for better performance in source cause its a really smooth game anyways.

my 2 cents

Warrior said:
yeah dude be respectful....i have no personal experiance..but i wouldnt change if i had the NU....cause of the features that the 6800 supports that the 800 dosnt..and its really easy to flash to a GT and get alot for your money. There is no need for better performance in source cause its a really smooth game anyways.

my 2 cents

The ram is what rapes this card's performance. High resolution and/or AA in Source runs like garbage.

And by the time ps3.0 means jack, I'll either have a new dual core system or will have moved on to next gen consoles and forget about upgrading uber expensive computer parts.

Sizer said:
If everyone was to be an annoying idiot like you and cry about looking at reviews then 90% of the threads here would have no point Stop it.

50% of the threads here do have no point, I've been here long enough to expect that at least. None-the-less if you wish to listen to the majority here who have night-and-day (user to user) like knowledge in video cards rather than professionals such as the hardocp staff and you think it's a good idea instead of an illogical/irrational one, by all means have your thread.

No one liked Socrates (and they executed him) because he "showed [people] they weren't wise", if that makes me hateable as well, I'm honored to take my ban or whatever any mod sees fit for anything I've said in this thread.

~Adam

Professionals, one of which banned an assload of posters for pointing out an error in an article? What the hell is wrong with getting as much input as possible?

Sometimes the hero worship in this forum gets silly.

I know not what you speak of but if you feel someone has been banned incorrectly, you should speak to the mods or perhaps the person who did so.

Now, back on topic, let's hear those confessions of 6800nu -> X800 pro's.

~Adam

What article did they pinpoint ofn the H and get banned because of it? Id like to know. If its true, its a shame that the H did such a thing.

nah not worth it.. wait for the next refresh of cards or whatever...x800pro's aren't that great.... it's either x800xtpe or 6800gt or 6800U....but if I were you, i'd wait for newer cards... and what's wrong with the performance of the 6800gt in source? anything would be better than the 6800NU you are having right now..

Hehe, I remember that review fiasco. Lots of people did get banned/deleted, but thats in the past now. Anyway, CleanSlate has a point Sizer, reviews do help if you take into consideration a wide variety of them. Here is a good site for reviews, http://www.8dimensional.com. Also an x800 Pro should be noticeably faster than a 6800NU. It's relatively on par with a 6800GT and does seem to have quite a bit larger overclocking headroom.

i have a 6800 nu and i think its the best videocard investment ive made. You can find them for around 240-250 now adays. With the sweet 16 pipe unlocker prog u can really boost performance too. Im not going to argue and 3.0 shit with you, thats your deal. I bet there are close to 0 people who made that switch. its not worth the extra 100-150$

The overclocking headroom on the x800pro is certainly sweet. I had one that couldnt be hacked to 16 pipes. But with 12 pipes the core could be overclocked from 475MHz to 580MHz.

If I were to consider the move it would be for more than the X800. It just doesnt make sense, especially not for just one game. THe choice is yours to make, let us know how it goes.

On the subject of the bannings in the past, all that were banned were being complete asshats and outright disrespectful. It wasnt just for pointing out a mistake as others would have you beleive.

Sizer said:
The ram is what rapes this card's performance. High resolution and/or AA in Source runs like garbage.

And by the time ps3.0 means jack, I'll either have a new dual core system or will have moved on to next gen consoles and forget about upgrading uber expensive computer parts.

Well you seem to already have your mind made up so why even bother with everyone's "experiences"???

Perhaps an X800LS would be a better upgrade.

Doh, Edit: forgot that X800LS's are pci-e only.. sorry.

Well really the 6800gt and LS are about in the same department... so go for the GT.

~Adam

palabared said:
i have a 6800 nu and i think its the best videocard investment ive made. You can find them for around 240-250 now adays. With the sweet 16 pipe unlocker prog u can really boost performance too. Im not going to argue and 3.0 shit with you, thats your deal. I bet there are close to 0 people who made that switch. its not worth the extra 100-150$

I did the switch, i started with a leadtek 6800, then went to a BFG6800, nvidia made a lot of mistakes and I didnt want to wait for their drivers to get revamped so I stepped up to an x800 pro, its the ati card, and i put a ati silencer on it. My 3dmark 03 score went from 9000 to 13000, and my 01 score went from 20000 to 24000. my 05 score went from 3000 to 5500. the switch was worth it to me. I play a lot of Cs source and HL2 Dm. Soon a kid in my IT class is buying it from me and I will be buying an XT-PE. Its a great card. I hate nvidia.

-Josh

i've used friend's gigabyte x800pro (16pipes stock) when they first came out but weren't impressed by it.. i posted a thread here and ppl blamed my "slow" cpu for poor benchmarks scores. but i still have the same cpu.

i'm very happy with 6800nu i bought for $230 while back.. i definately wouldn't change it, especially when i have to pay extra $$$. + i like doom3.

i get 5k+ with my slow cpu on 3dmark05 so i'm happy with my cheap setup.
i would have picked x800pro vivo over 6800gt when they first came out, mainly cos x800pro vivo can turn to x800xt.. but i would pick 6800gt now if i have choice.

Chaballaman said:
i've used friend's gigabyte x800pro (16pipes stock) when they first came out but weren't impressed by it.. *snip*

Thats impossible, the X800 Pro is only a 12 pipe card.

Kckazdude said:
Thats impossible, the X800 Pro is only a 12 pipe card.

The X800 pro physically has the 16 pipes but 4 of them are turned off. Softmods and flashes unlock the extra pipes... you been living under a rock?

~Adam

Back