Anyone going to stop using Lastpass after the security breach?

Headbust

[H]ard|Gawd
Just wondering what others are doing. I got turned onto Lastpass a few months ago after using roboform for years. Lastpass has been great for me, now I am i not so sure anymore about storing stuff like passwords on the cloud..

Yea I stopped using LastPass because of it. Using KeePass now, if someone can get caught hacking LastPass, I imagine someone else can do it and not get caught. Since I haven't had malware on my system since ~2003 when I was running XP SP1 (or perhaps it was SP0), I feel safer storing passwords on my system.

Did they actually ever confirm it was a breach? Thats what most of the tech media jumped on but most of them were incorrect.

IMO, LastPass did exactly the right thing, they suspected something bad, informed customers and took precautions. Thats a company I would want to give my business too. Most of the time you don't find out till everything is already compromised (Sony).

Still though, LastPass needs to hurry up and have an independent audit.

I just started using LastPass here the other day and while I'll probably avoid storing critical passwords on their site for the moment until further proof of security I'll still continue using it for my normal everyday logins and web shopping since the functionality and integration in Google Chrome makes everything much faster and easier with auto-login.

Did they actually ever confirm it was a breach?

I'm not sure they have, and looking at their blog right now, it still looks like they haven't. Hopefully they give some more details soon, but so far I think they've handled things pretty well. I'm sure the recent issues with Sony were in the back of their minds, and they said they'd rather be paranoid than be more sorry later.

I think as long as your master password is a good one, and not just a word in the dictionary, or something susceptible to a brute force attack, you're more than likely alright.

I just started using LastPass here the other day and while I'll probably avoid storing critical passwords on their site for the moment until further proof of security I'll still continue using it for my normal everyday logins and web shopping since the functionality and integration in Google Chrome makes everything much faster and easier with auto-login.

Same here. I have removed stuff like Paypal, Amazon, bank accounts and main e-mail account.

Back