Anyone going to EMC World?

Yeah I noticed it disappeared on level 5. Now I have no choice but to listen to my FAST VP session! :)

I walked in that session...saw the crowd...saw the woman presenting (she did my VFCache one yesterday) and went next door to the Isilon session.

We can't just assume that this utopian cloud model will happen..it won't...not for the vast majority of people for a large number of reasons. My suggestion for anyone concerned about this..get smart. Get a good mix of skill sets. Stay current. The people I see struggling are those that stick to one thing and don't constantly challenge themselves. The other people....well..they turn down two offers a week.
I with ya. You have to have a broad skillset to support virtualization in general. I need to get my DCD cert and then on to Cisco UCS but moreso, I need more experience than the environment i'm in.

You assume that there is no "next big thing" that completely destroys that model and makes the cost model unworkable. I'm not convinced by any stretch that it will happen like that AND I SELL "CLOUD" EVERY DAY. The boring/basic things will get off prem...the backup, the email...the stuff that shouldn't be taking up valuable human resources anyway.

Even as Tucci said yesterday..to which I completely agree....in 3 years there will be hundreds of thousands of private clouds...and tens of thousands of true public clouds.

We can't just assume that this utopian cloud model will happen..it won't...not for the vast majority of people for a large number of reasons. My suggestion for anyone concerned about this..get smart. Get a good mix of skill sets. Stay current. The people I see struggling are those that stick to one thing and don't constantly challenge themselves. The other people....well..they turn down two offers a week.

oh yeah i agree. much of it is doom and gloom. still, consolidating will result in FTE consolidation too. the whole point of all this is to drive margin, bodies consume margin.

also imo there is no reason to stay on prem with anything for most metro areas. too many options for cheap extremely fast p2p connections these days.

I've had free passes every year for the last 4 years.. I'm good. I don't like to fly.

They announce Vmax2, aka Vmax 40k?

They talk about the big upgrades to enginuity?

I can't really talk about it cause of NDA.. but if they said that at emc world then I can talk about what I know.

They talk about the big upgrades to enginuity?

I can't really talk about it cause of NDA.. but if they said that at emc world then I can talk about what I know.

Yes, and they have it running in the hands on labs.

Looking forward to Inyo for our VNX. Awesome features. One question maybe Netjunkie can answer, is Appsync completely replacing Replication Manger, and if so, if we have RM are we eligible to get Appsync automatically?

RM isn't going away..not EoL, at least yet. But if you have a VNX software pack you get AppSync:

AppSync is only being made available as a no charge option for customers purchasing any the following software packages for EMC’s VNX series: Total Efficiency Pack, Total Protection Pack, or Application Protection Suite.

I have the Total Protection Pack along with FAST. Does this mean i'm "grandfathered" in since I already have it?

I have the Total Protection Pack along with FAST. Does this mean i'm "grandfathered" in since I already have it?

Yup!

The new connector for VNX in to vCOPs is awesome too. Been waiting on that since seeing the early builds.

Awesome! Can't wait. Thanks, really looking forward to the vCOPs VNX connector...how's the pricing on that, reasonable?

Last edited:
Awesome! Can't wait. Thanks, really looking forward to the vCOPs VNX connector...how's the pricing on that, reasonable?

Was in the rehearsal for Chad's World Live and the product manager for AppSync was in there so we talked for a bit. The end goal is for AppSync to replace RM, at least for virtual and/or Microsoft apps. Maybe, maybe not for non-MS and only time will tell there. The benefit over RM is simplicity...very thin agent..and they don't even call it an agent..and agent less for vCenter/VM workloads. To me it sounds like something we've been asking for...a simpler RM-type app for the most common MS workloads.

Pricing on VNX/vCOPs isn't out yet..but I'm hearing that the standalone VNX Analytics will be cheap..they want it sold with every VNX. If you add the connector to existing vCOPs (because you want vCOPs for your VMs and VNX) you'll pay twice. One for the connector and again for a per-TB license for vCOPs from VMware. I'm very unhappy on that..trying to find out more.

Will be interested to see if they announce a new Flare code for the VNX arrays to allow Storage Pool re-balancing. Going to suck for us if that doesn't come soon.

Any news on this? Haven't spotted anything so far but I've been on vacation for the past few days so I'm still catching up.

Loving the idea of the vCOPs VNX connector, can't wait to see more on it.

Any news on this? Haven't spotted anything so far but I've been on vacation for the past few days so I'm still catching up.

Loving the idea of the vCOPs VNX connector, can't wait to see more on it.

Announced at EMC World...haven't heard a date yet.

September 24th for AppSync..in case I haven't mentioned that.

Announced at EMC World...haven't heard a date yet.

September 24th for AppSync..in case I haven't mentioned that.

I heard it was in the next release. So maybe 2 months away max?

I'm really excited with the multiple RAID groups in mixed pools plus the new 8+1 RAID 5 and 14+2 RAID 6 increments for pools.

More flexibility is a very good thing.

Also saw today that they're planning on Unisphere becoming more like the VNXe version of Unisphere which means more pretty wizards and then you'll have to drill down deeper to get to advanced options.

Yeah....it'll be 2 or 3 months. We've been waiting for it...trying to be patient.

Anyone see me on stage at Chad's World Live? :)

Yeah..I saw ya..should've chugged that beer....:D I had to leave after the Razor demo so I missed the rest. I'll have to catch up when they post the video.

Yeah..I saw ya..should've chugged that beer....:D I had to leave after the Razor demo so I missed the rest. I'll have to catch up when they post the video.

At least I was drinking it! No one else did.

Yes, and they have it running in the hands on labs.

Nice. I just ordered my first vmax40k with virtulization in place. I plan to front end my 480s and 240s with it.

I just uploaded my SMAS install and noticed the virutulization stuff is already in there, very excited to upgrade my current vmax to handle that stuff as well.

Definitly going to give Hitachi/VSP a run for sure.

I heard it was in the next release. So maybe 2 months away max?

I'm really excited with the multiple RAID groups in mixed pools plus the new 8+1 RAID 5 and 14+2 RAID 6 increments for pools.

More flexibility is a very good thing.

Also saw today that they're planning on Unisphere becoming more like the VNXe version of Unisphere which means more pretty wizards and then you'll have to drill down deeper to get to advanced options.

Word on the street is in a year or 2 they plan to replace it all again with PROsphere. Proshere is out right now 1.5 and its being billed as an ECC replacement.. but im not sold on it. ECC was one giant mistake.

Back