Anyone go from a 560ti (384 shader) to an SLI setup? (SLI questions as well)

Aaron_ATX

[H]ard|Gawd
Title pretty much says it all. I have a 2gig 560ti 384 shader version that does a decent job for my resolution (19x10) .....but I would really like enough unf to keep me at 60 fps most of the time with detail settings on the high side. Looks like I can get another card for around the $265 mark....so I am considering it.

I have never run a multi card GPU setup. When they first got popular it seemed like they were more hassle than it was worth. Typically it was better to just buy a beastly single card...

Im not interested in selling my current card. Don't want the downtime in between finding a new card, and I lent out all my other decent video cards that I would use as backups.

Looks like I will be pushing the limit of my powersupply ( corsair tx650m ) if I toss another card in. I have a PCP 610 sitting around also to try for kicks if the corsair can't cut it. And in the end I can get another PSU if neither can get the job done.

My motherboard has x16 and x8 pci-e slots. Is the x8 going to handicap the extra card?

So, has anyone run a non 448 560ti card in SLI, and if so are you satisfied with your results?

If you think I am just wasting my time and should go with a single card, feel free to lay it on me. I really do not like buying the lastest and greatest in videocard tech because of the price gouging that occurs at that level.

I'm in a similar situation, building a new rig in a few months, either going 560Ti SLI (since I already have one card) or selling my 560Ti and going 7950/GTX670, it will most likely be cheaper for me to go SLI in this situation than sell one card and buy a new one.

From what I've seen, SLI 560Ti scales up nicely, well ahead of GTX580 in pretty much everything: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/441?vs=305 - my main concern is if I can play BF3 at 1920x1200 high detail with AA/AF at 60fps.

PCI-e 2.0 x8 is not an issue with the 560Ti for 2 cards from the research I've done.

BF3 scales nicely in SLI. I haven't played multi-player but in single player BF3 I get between 70-100 fps on my rig. I think the 560ti's are equivalent to GTX 470s.

I'd say pickup another 2GB 560ti if you already have one. I'm running 80-100fps with almost everything on Ultra with my two 560ti 1GB cards on 1920x1080 so you should see similar results by adding another. Oh and the 80-100fps is in multiplayer in various maps.

The difference between x8 and x16 is minimal with SLI setups so this shouldn't be a concern at all.

Just keep the Texture Quality on "High", and v-sync off and you'll be just fine.

Back