Anyone get their MBP C2D yet?

Octave

Gawd
Mine just left china, turns out no matter how many times you refresh fedex tracking within an hour, it doesnt go any faster.
base 15in model, matte screen, 2gigs ram.
Anyone here get one yet?...pics?....reviews?

I know a couple people that have gotten theirs...any particular questions?

from a thread I started that went off topic;

For those of us that have had hands-on time with the new mbp's, post up what you think thus far.

I got a chance tonight to spend a bit of time on a 15"/2.33ghz/matte model (pretty much what I intend to buy, except with 160gb hard drive), big things for me were;

-underside temps: this was a BIG problem for me with the core duo based macbooks, and I'm happy to say that running the itunes visualizer, rendering text on hd footage in imovie and running folding @ home (both cores were maxed according to activity monitor), the underside temp never felt much, if any, higher than my old 12" 1.33ghz powerbook gets. Big thumb up to apple, however they did that.

-the hinge: a lot of people probably noticed that the hinge on the old mbp didn't open nearly as far as the powerbooks before it...sadly, this continues with the new core 2 duo based machines

-noises: none to speak of didn't think to try the display at less than max brightness though.

-inner bezel seems to be plastic...or apple used some very nifty material to cover the isight indicator light, because it's invisible unless on

Little things, I know of course it's a very, very fast computer and I think you would not be the least disappointed unless you are coming from a higher end core duo based mbp. Please feel free to ask any questions that come to mind, but remember that I don't (yet) own a new macbook pro

bahula03 said:
-underside temps: this was a BIG problem for me with the core duo based macbooks, and I'm happy to say that running the itunes visualizer, rendering text on hd footage in imovie and running folding @ home (both cores were maxed according to activity monitor), the underside temp never felt much, if any, higher than my old 12" 1.33ghz powerbook gets. Big thumb up to apple, however they did that.
Definitely pleased about that. Thats great that the temp is more under control. My friends MBP (early adopter, like april or something) is freaking hot.

FedEx delivered a 15" MBP (2.33, 2gig, 160gig) to my door Oct 30. My original order was for a 1st gen MBP 2.16 w/ 100gig 7200 RPM drive - Apple upgraded me to this kit. The 160gig HD is a Hitachi 5k160 PMR drive, which seems pretty quick and I doubt I'll miss the 7200 drive.

As part of the Intel transition dev program I was 'gifted' a 1st gen 17" Intel iMac. It was much faster than the Intel dev kit and the 2nd gen MBP is much faster than the iMac it's replacing. Needless to say it's at least an order of magnitude faster than my 1.5ghz G4 15" PowerBook that I use for compatibility testing.

Things I like:

* fast
* 2gig RAM standard
* more HD space (compared to older PowerBooks)
* LCD color seems improved over PowerBook
* Mag power connector - awesome

Things that need improvement:

* lid seems harder to open & close (maybe will get better over time)
* support for 2gig SO-DIMMs

I haven't tested it but this little machine might out build my Windows development box mentioned in my sig.

kmeson said:
* support for 2gig SO-DIMMs
I haven't tested it but this little machine might out build my Windows development box mentioned in my sig.
It does support 2GB so-dimms, its just that the chipset can only support up to 3.2GB. There's more info about this around the forums/web.
Also, same reason im ditching my comp in my sig :)

kmeson said:

My 2.0GHz CoreDuo MBP is certainly easier to open now that i've had it for about a month. I really had to push the button to get it to unlatch.

I got mine yesterday and already had to return it. The speakers (both internal and external) emitted an extremely annoying and loud noise when certain USB devices were plugged in, like my KVM and powered USB hub. What was really weird, as soon as the metal housing of the USB connectors would touch the internal casing, the sound would start. After removing them, the sound went away.

What's worse... it is a "stock" MacBook Pro (C2D), with the only modification being a glossy screen. According to my Apple store, it's part number should be a retail-exchangeable product, but somehow the part number was CTO... so they had me sit there for an hour and a half before they told me that it had to be sent out for replacement. Geez...

I got mine on thursday this week, and I've been enjoying it. First laptop, first mac, and I haven't really noticed any issues yet. I'm not a mac person especially, I still have a pretty sweet desktop pc that I use, I just really liked the hardware. I got a 2.33ghz/2 GB Ram/160GB HD/Matte model, and I haven't noticed any quality control, heat, noise, or performance issues yet.

I LOVE this laptop. Picked up a C2D 15" MBP last night. It's much faster than even my old iMac Core Duo. They made some huge improvements over the Powerbook G4's (which was my last lappy).

Aperture absolutly FLYS on it, and I love using the extended laptop feature with the 30" display. It makes me laugh that this little laptop can drive such a huge display. Absolutly brilliant.

Zok said:
I got mine yesterday and already had to return it. The speakers (both internal and external) emitted an extremely annoying and loud noise when certain USB devices were plugged in, like my KVM and powered USB hub. What was really weird, as soon as the metal housing of the USB connectors would touch the internal casing, the sound would start. After removing them, the sound went away.

What's worse... it is a "stock" MacBook Pro (C2D), with the only modification being a glossy screen. According to my Apple store, it's part number should be a retail-exchangeable product, but somehow the part number was CTO... so they had me sit there for an hour and a half before they told me that it had to be sent out for replacement. Geez...
Ugh, that sux man. I thought they kept base model's in stock with glossy screens? I guess not. Hope goes well.

AppaYipYip said:
I LOVE this laptop. Picked up a C2D 15" MBP last night. It's much faster than even my old iMac Core Duo. They made some huge improvements over the Powerbook G4's (which was my last lappy).

Aperture absolutly FLYS on it, and I love using the extended laptop feature with the 30" display. It makes me laugh that this little laptop can drive such a huge display. Absolutly brilliant.

I hate you and your 30in LCD apple boner. soooo jealous

Wait till my second 30" comes in. :)

I'll post pics of the setup. 8 megapixels of desktop goodness. :eek: :cool: :cool:

AppaYipYip said:
Wait till my second 30" comes in. :)

I'll post pics of the setup. 8 megapixels of desktop goodness. :eek: :cool: :cool:
You wouldnt happen to live around the midwest someplace. Maybe post your address up for me or just PM me to make me stealing your 30in easy on me. Im lazy and all.
Gaaaa....these people with money....i tell you. Some day ill have a 57in Apple HD LCD or something...then ill take a 1080 megapixel image of it and do a little dance.

[H]ard On said:
Just so you know, tracking is faster and more detailed with this tool:

http://isnoop.net/tracking

I used that to track my macbook pro, and it was more detailed than the actual fedex site.
Ya, i know. My MBP is in town right now!!! It says its located at a local fedex facility, but it doesnt say its out for delivery!!! :mad:
They better deliver it today or im hunting them down before day's end.

Back