Anyone get big improvement with CF in 11.10 part 2?

jhokie

Limp Gawd
I was experiencing massive glitchiness/microstutter in Caspian Border (and to a lesser extent outside in Metro) with my CF 6950s. So this morning I noticed that preview driver part 2 had been released. So after installing and loading up Origin, I find that the beta has ended minutes after I had loaded the game up :(

I'd really like to know if this driver release improved anyone's crossfire performance/glitches substantially. I'm considering dropping my pre-order based on this information. The reason is, I was still experiencing black flashing and such in BC2 with Crossfire, and that game has been out for a year and a half. If I don't know that CF drivers are working pretty darn nice, I might cancel my pre-order and see what develops after launch.

The black flashing happens so rarely in BC2 for me that I consider it a non issue.. running 11.8 here.

Every driver since about 10.11 has had black flashes regularly for me in Bad Company 2, including 11.8.

I agree the black flashing generally happens rarely in bc2 (on certain maps it does happen alot for me)... but it's telling that it's still in the game after this long.

So I'd just like to know if anyone with a setup similar to mine saw an improvement with 11.10 previeq release 2.

I have yet to test BC2 with the new 11.10 driver.

Not sure if sarcasm... or my original post wasn't clear enough. I'm referring to BF3 beta performance with 11.10 Part 2.

I referenced BC2 because I am concerned that is still has drivers issues 1.5 years after release.

No sarcasm intended, I just thought I'd mention that, but the flashes have been far from rare for me in BC2.
In the BF3 beta they are green instead of black, but not quite as severe (That said, they were very severe before updating from 11.8, so who knows)

If you guys still play the game, there's actually a really easy fix for the BC2 black flickering in crossfire: turn off bloom in the settings file. I've tested it on three different CF configurations, and it worked every time. Still, it's irritating that such a widespread problem was never addressed.

As for the 11.10 beta driver, I'm with you on the microstutter. I'm running two 6970's at 2560x1600 and it's the first time I've ever noticed microstutter. It's pretty bad, and actually difficult to play with. I turned one card off and the game ran smoother despite that my FPS was cut in half. The only problem was that I was experiencing input lag, so I kept CF on for the duration of the beta and just suffered through the microstutter. It's weird seeing 70 FPS look choppy. I really hope this stuff gets straightened out by the 25th.

I myself have been thinking of going cross fire with my 6950 2GB for BF3. I'm just worried most about noise level....

Depends how tolerant you are, two HD6950s won't be quiet, but it really does depend on the cooling capacity of your case, what coolers the 6950s use, and the slot spacing on your board.

If you guys still play the game, there's actually a really easy fix for the BC2 black flickering in crossfire: turn off bloom in the settings file. I've tested it on three different CF configurations, and it worked every time. Still, it's irritating that such a widespread problem was never addressed.

As for the 11.10 beta driver, I'm with you on the microstutter. I'm running two 6970's at 2560x1600 and it's the first time I've ever noticed microstutter. It's pretty bad, and actually difficult to play with. I turned one card off and the game ran smoother despite that my FPS was cut in half. The only problem was that I was experiencing input lag, so I kept CF on for the duration of the beta and just suffered through the microstutter. It's weird seeing 70 FPS look choppy. I really hope this stuff gets straightened out by the 25th.

Well I guess it's good that someone else has experienced the same thing... that is truly some terrible microstutter. In Metro it was really only in certain parts of the levels. Even sometimes outside it was fine, but at times it was awful.

I played Caspian for a while early on, and it seemed mostly fine. But when I tried it most recently it was terrible terrible micro-stutter. I can't remember if the first time was pre-11.10 or not.

Ah so that's what micro stutter is.... I always wondered why I had 50-70 fps with 2x 6950's yet the game still looked laggy. That "legginess" is the micro stutter? Lame.

I doubt that microstutter at 50-70 fps is perceptible. Input (or whatever kind of) lag is not microstutter.

Depends on what he means by 'looked laggy' - very few people use that expression when referring to input lag.

Well whatever you want to call it... FPS counter was displaying ~45-55 FPS in Caspian and it looked like much less, laggy and glitchy as hell. It wasn't input lag. I had resolved the input lag problem in BF3 by disabling raw input. I also was not using Vsync.

Yup, microstutter then, as we thought. At 45-55fps microstutter is very perceptible.

Microstutter is perceived more as choppy than as laggy. Also it becomes noticeable as you approach 30 fps.

Back