Anyone folding on a new Mac?

Celerator

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 6, 2003
Messages
1,935
I have a potential borg. :) It's one of the new Intel-based Macs that can run Windows concurrently with MacOS. The owner is willing to fold, and I have two questions:

1) Do I install the console client within Windows or the Mac client in MacOS?

2) The boxen is all in the monitor enclosure! I looked it over and there doesn't seem to be any active cooling. The unit seems "sealed." Is folding going to cook it? I don't want to cause a meltdown as it might result in losing 7 PC boxen in the same office...and a friend.

 
Thanks. I checked out the forums briefly, and the Mac interest is in seeing a native client for OSX. I didn't see any threads on using the Windows client, but I was skimming.

When I glanced at the iMac yesterday, it looked like Windows was running in a window on the OSX desktop -- not dual boot. I'll investigate further.

 
Celerator said:
Thanks. I checked out the forums briefly, and the Mac interest is in seeing a native client for OSX. I didn't see any threads on using the Windows client, but I was skimming.

When I glanced at the iMac yesterday, it looked like Windows was running in a window on the OSX desktop -- not dual boot. I'll investigate further.




Yeah I believe there are emulation tools for OSX - though I'm not sure how well you can fold in emulated Windows
 
It seems that since MS hasn't released Virtual PC for OSx86 yet, that Paralells desktop is the virtualization that is big now. From what I've read, on a core duo it runs almost full speed as it dedicates a single core just to the virtual machine.
 
p[H]ant0m said:
It seems that since MS hasn't released Virtual PC for OSx86 yet, that Paralells desktop is the virtualization that is big now. From what I've read, on a core duo it runs almost full speed as it dedicates a single core just to the virtual machine.


yeah, but that's a single core that could be folding.
 
If you have to emulate to fold, you may as well not bother. That's my thought anyway. If the hardware is capable of running an OS that can fold natively then it should. If the owner is all Mac-y, then it's not particularly useful as a borg. Not saying anything against mac hardware, or really even software.
 
I appreciate the input from everyone. It turns out that running the emulator is an infrequent thing for this boxen. The office is HOT (even here in Victoria). So, even if there was a native version of the software, I think folding would have to wait for cooler weather. However, the boxen user is interested, and there could be one or more borgs/recruits for the fall if a native core comes into being.

 
Back
Top