Anyone familiar with the Seagate GoFlex Ultraportable and/or WD Passport SE?

JYeager11

Gawd
Hi,

I tried this in another forum but it probably wasn't the right one seeing as how I got zero replies.

I'm looking for a portable 1+TB drive solution. Size is a big concern.

I was very close to purchasing a USB3 compatible Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex UltraPortable, but all images I've seen of it suggest that it won't work with traditional USB cables. It seems to have its own custom cable.

cheap-Seagate-FreeAgent-GoFlex-1-TB-Ultra-portable-External-hard-drive-black.jpg

What solutions exist out there that are this small and light (or as reasonably close as possible), but will connect to the same USB wire that my cell phone, MP3 player, and every other gadget I own use for data transfer? (ie, Micro USB)

No power cords. It needs to get its power from the USB slot.

PS: I'm looking at the Western Digital My Passport Essential SE as a viable alternative... I see it listed as USB 2.0 and USB 3.0, depending on the website. But all the reviews I've read of this thing are that it fails after 4-5 uses. I don't usually care what 1 or 2 guys say, but I've read this too many times to ignore.

Anyone know if the Passport SE becomes USB 3.0-compatible via firmware update, or if it's a separate, physical model from the USB 2.0 one?

Last edited:
I'm sorry to say this, but the WD Passport Essential SE does not work at all with any of your mobile phone or MP3 player USB cables. Even if it accepts such a cable, that drive would have been permanently stuck at USB 2.0 because the mobile phone USB cables do not support USB 3.0 at all. Instead, that drive requires a special USB 3.0 cable (there is currently only one type of USB 3.0 connector at the device end) even if you're using it with a computer that has only USB 2.0 ports.

Therefore, the Passport SE is capable of USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 transfers, depending on the USB port you have the drive plugged into.

All of Seagate's GoFlex ultraportable hard drives, on the other hand, work only with their special cables. GoFlex ultraportable-specific cables are available for USB 2.0 and USB 3.0.

Last edited:
Back