Anyone familiar with Blue Iris? Need some input.

Gman1979

Gawd
Sorry in advance if this is the wrong forum, but it seemed to be the most relevant since it's a more general question.

A friend of mine owns a business, and uses Blue Iris to record video from multiple cameras on the property. Currently he has eight 4 MP cameras running on a system powered by an AMD A10 APU. He also has 4 more cameras running at an attached property on a system with an i5 (6600 I believe). The A10 is definitely having the snot flogged out of it and needs replaced ASAP. The i5 system definitely needs more ram as well, as it's a stutter fest trying to do anything else on that PC currently. He wants to push the main recording rig to at least 16 cameras, possibly 20 if he consolidates the remote streams to the main recording rig.

Blue Iris apparently only supports Intel Quicksync hardware acceleration. It helps a lot to a point, but can't keep up as the camera count increases. So with that revelation, it has me wondering if a AMD Ryzen rig would be suitable for this purpose. When I priced out the i7 and Xeon rigs, it seemed like AMD was currently offering a lot more processing power at a lower price point.

I was thinking something along the lines of the 1700 (8 cores, 16 threads) should be well able to handle 16 camera streams (with sane settings) and backing it up with 32 GB of ECC RAM if I can find a motherboard that will make use of it. The system still looks like overkill to me, but he does want to be able to run Quickbooks and his other office software on it.

Does anyone familiar with this software have any input about this being a viable path to set him on? The Blue iris forums all recommend Intel, but it seems that's due to the Quicksync support.

Back