Anyone ever used a slim CD/floppy combo?

Yup, use them all the time. I have the exact one linked (CD-FD COMBO 1 x Slim DVD-ROM and 1 x FDD in 5.25 Bracket Blk) in both of my 1U servers, you'll like them just fine for the stated purpose.

- HTH

ashed said:
Yup, use them all the time. I have the exact one linked (CD-FD COMBO 1 x Slim DVD-ROM and 1 x FDD in 5.25 Bracket Blk) in both of my 1U servers, you'll like them just fine for the stated purpose.

- HTH

How easy would it be to swap out the CD for an NEC dual-layer DVD-RW? Or do they sell just the frame and adapter without a drive?

Othersider said:
How easy would it be to swap out the CD for an NEC dual-layer DVD-RW? Or do they sell just the frame and adapter without a drive?

I think it requires a slim drive, as a normal Optical would take up the whole slot.

The NEC dual-layer DVD-RW isn't a slim drive now, is it?

I have one on my desk in a Antec Aria chassis because I had to have a floppy.
I've used these brackets a few times, they work good but mounting the slim drive is a pain.

I just put in one of those NEC drives last week, to replace one that failed.
It was also an NEC but not DL, it started not reading some of the media I use.
This new one is starting to be fussy now also...
So you might want to look at a different drive, I'm not having good luck with NEC slim drives

I can tell you that any slimline optical drive will work, I've swapped the original CD drives with DVD's and then one DVD failed so I put in a cd burner (since it was cheap at the time) instead.

Back