Anyone ever use this fan?

I was actually looking at that exact fan for my new Thermalright SI-97, but I went with the recomended Panaflo. The Panaflo, though, is only rated to push 48CFM @ 30dBA, where as the Thermaltake fan is rated at 52CFM @ only 21dBA.

To me....21dBA pushing 52CFM is dang good and about as loud as a fart on a breezy day. If the Panaflo doesn't please me, then I am going to get the Thermaltake one
, once I can find it at a place that has it in stock of coarse.

The only things that I can see that may be of a potential use-killer for some are:
  • can only be used as an intake fan, there are only mounting holes and edges for it to be mounted one way.
  • There is no easy way of affixing a fan gaurd to the fan, so a stray wire may get chewed up or even stop the fan from operating.
Those are not a concern to me, but they may be to some.

my $.02

Tiny said:
  • can only be used as an intake fan, there are only mounting holes and edges for it to be mounted one way.
  • There is no easy way of affixing a fan gaurd to the fan, so a stray wire may get chewed up or even stop the fan from operating.

Two words; mod it.

Hit your local hardware store for the proper screws, nuts, spacers, etc. and you can put it pretty much anywhere you want.

grillemount7ge.jpg

I believe mwave.com has them in stock. I had it ordered with a Thermalright XP-90 but the XP-90 was on backorder so I canceled my order and ordered it from frozencpu. I'm using a panaflow right now as well waiting for frozencpu to get more of these fans in since when they do get some in stock theres a much better chance of me finding other things to buy at frozencpu to make the shipping worth it than I'll find at mwave.

I liked the CFM:dBA ratio as well. Also, since I have a UV setup, I thought the white would look nice reacting to the UV.

If you do get one from mwave, plz let me know what you think of the fan.

Hal|9k said:
Two words; mod it.

Hit your local hardware store for the proper screws, nuts, spacers, etc. and you can put it pretty much anywhere you want.

grillemount7ge.jpg

I was just pointing it out for others to see. I am glad you made the visual though, it is exactly what I thought of when I first saw the fan.

:)

Xyrax said:
I believe mwave.com has them in stock. I had it ordered with a Thermalright XP-90 but the XP-90 was on backorder so I canceled my order and ordered it from frozencpu. I'm using a panaflow right now as well waiting for frozencpu to get more of these fans in since when they do get some in stock theres a much better chance of me finding other things to buy at frozencpu to make the shipping worth it than I'll find at mwave.

I liked the CFM:dBA ratio as well. Also, since I have a UV setup, I thought the white would look nice reacting to the UV.

If you do get one from mwave, plz let me know what you think of the fan.

The white should look great under UV.

Also, I couldn't find them on mwave.com, but I did find then at bestbyteinc.com. In stock and for 5.90! Have two on there way to me now!

As soon as I get them I will post back here.
:D

I have the 80mm version that came with my silent boost heatsink... they really are quite quite. (mines same rated noise, just less air.)

Tiny said:
The whire should look great under UV.

Also, I couldn't find them on mwave.com, but I did find then at bestbyteinc.com. In stock and for 5.90! Have two on there way to me now!

As soon as I get them I will post back here.
:D

Got my retailers confused :rolleyes: (been to too many retailers sites shopping around the past few days). Bestbyte was where I had the fan and heatsink ordered from but the HS was out of stock (didn't realize when I placed the order).

Let us know how the fans sounds and cools.

Just so you know, Thermaltake measures their noise ratings from a farther distance than what Panasonic uses (1 meter). The folks over that Silent PC Review say that the 21dBA fans produce well over 30dBA of noise. Go with the Panaflo, you won't regret it. Stay away from all Thermaltake products in general. :p

I have read that as well, and I generally take SilentPCReview at there word, but I have seen many others that have reviewed the Silent Tower that this fan comes stock with and all have praised the quietness of this fan.

Got two on the way to me now along with three different Panaflos, so I will just have to wait and see. :)

i dont have that fan, but i have the thermaltake ufo which is very close to it. It is pretty quiet until you crank it up over 2300 rpm. I leave it at 1900 and get great cooling thats whisper silent (minus the fan grill).

UFO pic

LKS

I have two themaltake 120mm fans that were supposedly rated at 21dba but from the reviews I've seen they are closer to 50dba together.

Even at 5v they are louder than my CPU fan at 7v.

Back