Anyone Ever Truly Fried Their Card by Overclocking?

'Llo All,

Question: for those of you who overclock your V-card, have any of you actually 'succeeded' in causing damage to the hardware? Some say this is hard to do, others (and not just the card manufacturers) say this an easy way to nuke a good graphics card.

While I now own a 9800Pro, way back when when I owned a GeForce 256 I tried using Powerstrip to overclockin it moderately (so I thought). The result was I two transparent bands across the screen, that were a permanent new feature--after clocking right back to default, the bands remained; I even tested it on another monitor and in another PC.

BUT!! That was just a (very) old GeForce, perhaps these latest ATI cards are 'hardier.'

One last question for you overclockers: does your system run stably, and (be honest) aside from jacked up benchmarks, do you honestly notice faster performance in games or graphic design apps?

Any replies greatly appreciated,

Robert

I am currently overclocking a Sapphire Radeon 9600 PRO and I'm not having any problems with damage. Apparently the card should be able to do 500 mhz core speed (default 400), and the memory should just about make 340 (default 300). I had mine running at that speed, but every now and then the ATI VU recover would kick in and set it back to defaults (i use rive tuner to overclock it). So now its running at 472 core speed, and 324, and every now and then this stupid VU recover pops in again, and its not after i've been playing awhile, if it happens, it happens right away when i boot the computer up. But when it isn't giving me any slack, and is running at 500/340, I notice a tremendous difference when playing Halo, and Unreal Tournament 2k4, compared to 400/300. One thing I did originally have a problem with on this card, was it came bundled with Redline (Sapphire's overclocking utility), and when I would overclock using Redline, it would actually make my games run so jerky, I wanted to put my old MX440 back in, it was pathetic. But When i uninstalled it, no more problems.

As for making those bands permanent on your old geforce card, you might of just overclocked it to high to begin with. I've always just googled for information on people overclocking my video card, and then I use there results as a goal, always trying to reach the same as most people (without modding the cooling).

BTW, does anybody know how to disable VU recover?

Robert Murphy said:
'Llo All,

Question: for those of you who overclock your V-card, have any of you actually 'succeeded' in causing damage to the hardware? Some say this is hard to do, others (and not just the card manufacturers) say this an easy way to nuke a good graphics card.

While I now own a 9800Pro, way back when when I owned a GeForce 256 I tried using Powerstrip to overclockin it moderately (so I thought). The result was I two transparent bands across the screen, that were a permanent new feature--after clocking right back to default, the bands remained; I even tested it on another monitor and in another PC.

BUT!! That was just a (very) old GeForce, perhaps these latest ATI cards are 'hardier.'

One last question for you overclockers: does your system run stably, and (be honest) aside from jacked up benchmarks, do you honestly notice faster performance in games or graphic design apps?

Any replies greatly appreciated,

Robert

overclocking works don't kid yourself, yes people do fry things, usually from physical means though,, they get sloppy with AS5 or knock off components during equip removal or replacement after dicking with cooling

normally if you plan on overclocking something, first thing you do is upgrade cooling for that component.

most stock coolers cant handle the heat ocing generates

Yes I have. I fried a Geforce 4 Ti4600 when overclocking a couple years ago. When the card was like $400 or something like that. I smoked that bitch. :eek:

I actually got Comp USA to exchange it.

Ran my XTASY 9800Pro at 421.2/351 since March '03. I can go as high as 430'ish/360'ish but I noticed PS 2.0 and similar textures start artifacting after a while. So I backed off 10mhz on core and memory and its ran like a dream. I hope the X800XT o/c's just as well if not more so. ;)

I don't overclock my system hardware so I've never burn't anything up. Would be fun to try. Maybe with a friends computer. :D

I can't be sure , but mine(9700pro) died shortly after an overclock and benchmarking session. I started getting artifacts on every game at default settings.

I ALWAYS OC my card while gaming. The other day, I forgot to run ATItool before launching a game of mercs and I got my ass handed to me due to framerates in the teens (usually I get over 30fps at 1600x1200)

the only time my x800pro is OCed is when im gaming, i made 2 profiles in ATI tool for my video card, one is 300/300 for when im not gaming, the other is 560/610 when i wanna play next gen games (not talking about CS, lol).

Back