Anyone ever had their wires burn when doing the 7v mod?

johnson

Weaksauce
I did it yesterday to one of my Vantec Stealth fans and left it on for about 10 minutes. I started to notice a burning smell and didnt think anything of it. A minute later I went to go check on the case and it smelled like it was coming from the inside so I took one of the panels off and saw that the black wire had been melted completely off. The PSU and fans are ok (i think) but im now noticing some bearing noise. Before all I could hear was the air it was pushing and now im hearing some noise from the fan itself. Im not sure if this was caused by the wire burning because ive read cases on here where people said the Vantec fans started making noise not long after purchasing them. Any idea why this happened?

Also, there was no motherboard connected. I did the green+black paperclip connection on the ATX plug.

I've done the 7v mod several times and never ran into any problems like that. I'm a little confused when you say that the black wire 'melted completely off'. It shouldn't be connected to the fan. All you need is the 5v and 12v (red and yellow) wires to perform a 7v mod. Also, I will tell ya that you need some kind of load on the power supply's 5v rail to make sure it puts out steady voltage. (someone will have to chime in an explain the nature of switching PSU's).

Sorry, the black wire I was talking about was from the fan (red and black, 3 pin connector). Now that I think about it, I think it was from the 3pin to 4pin adapter that got melted off. Ill have to go back home and check later on tonight. I had an optical and floppy drive plugged in for load.

Now that you've mentioned the 3 to 4-pin adapter, I'm interested in hearing how you did the 7v mod. It could have something to do with the burnt wire.

It sounds like you sent 7v thru the rpm signal wire, which is grounded on the other side of the RPM measuring coil... thus-burn-through.

Back