Anyone ever dye a printer?

jpmkm

That Ain't Mayo On My Lip...
I'm sitting here looking at my old okipage 10e led printer and it is just begging to be dyed. Only problem is there are SO MANY different little parts and trays and mechanisms and stuff that would have to be removed in order to dye everything. I'm pretty good at taking things apart, but getting it all back together in the proper manner is something else altogether. Does anyone have any tips for doing this?

Dammit. I've got all the top plastic pieces off, but I can't figure out how to get the bottom pieces away from the chassis. I don't want to start taking out random screws. I may just have to do some very careful masking. There's not much down there anyway. Now I just need to work out a colour scheme.

I would take off what you can and tape up the rest. Saves time and possibly keeps you from fucking it up.

take pictures of where parts are before taking it apart.. or jot down notes about what goes where

make sure you have ample space to work in... lay out each piece and label it with a post-it note or something

good luck

wayne said:
take pictures of where parts are before taking it apart.. or jot down notes about what goes where

make sure you have ample space to work in... lay out each piece and label it with a post-it note or something

good luck
Too late. :D The parts are now in a pile on my floor. No telling when I'll actually get around to dying this stuff. Hopefully I'll start on it tomorrow when I get off of work. Just so long as my girlfriend doesn't want to spend another evening with me.

hey, as long as you have it apart, add LED's, :D

I have mine set up on a timer so they come on and off when I am "working" in the den, I powered them off an old game boy ac supply i had laying around. Used one of those lamp timers that i found in the bottom of a drawer, and presto! chango! everybody who comes in here gets a kick out of it :D :D

Also did the shreader, the moniter, pads for the keyboard and mouse and directed beam ones to light up thekeys so i can type in the dark ( I was alittle boredone weekend) :D

Enjoy

racercarl said:
hey, as long as you have it apart, add LED's, :D
Goddammit I was actually thinking about that. :D I've been tossing around a couple ideas. First is to light up the output tray. The printed pages come out the top(like on the big laserjets) and I was thinking about putting some leds up under where the paper comes out so that it lights up the output tray but you can't directly see the leds. btw these leds would only be on when I am printing something. Second thing is to do like running lights on the sides of the output tray. I would have a timer and a decade counter set to activate when I start printing, and the leds would run down the side of the output tray as the pages are coming out. It wouldn't be exactly synchronized with the pages coming out, but it would be like landing lights.

I don't know if I'll actually get around to any of this but it is cool in my head.

Back