Anyone ever buy a refurb laptop from Dell?

I was looking at their outlet store and they have some pretty good deals on their refurb laptops. I'm curious if anyone here ever got a refurb from dell and what kind of shape it showed up in.

My folks and I use the Dell Outlet store for laptop purchases.. Not that we do it that often. So far everything has been in good condition (2-3 purchases in last 10 years).

I haven't ordered anything that was labeled scratch or dent though. I think those labels are relatively new.

yeah, i have an ancient one. it's about ~8 years old and still going strong, albeit with a broken optical drive and sporadic RAM trouble. Not sure if they're still reliable, though I don't see why not. Probably ymmv.

I got a refurb vostro a couple years ago. Outside of a couple fingerprints on the cover it seemed like it seemed practically new.

My Dell mini 10v was in perfect shape, from the Outlet. $211 w/coupon - can't beat that!

I will use the Outlet again.

Yes. I actually strive to buy only Dell refurbs, they are cheaper, they have the same warranty, and if it did have an issue, it has been fixed. In my three experiences with buying refrub laptops with dell , xps 1330, inspiron 1520, and latitude 6500 have all been in good experiences. They still work and have never broke down due to a faulty part to this date. Batteries were the only issue, but thats considered wear and tear, all batteries die out after a few years. Most of these refurbs were taken back to Dell for a reason, they fix the issue then sell them back at a substantially lower price. The warranty is still the same so if something were to break they can fix it. I worked for Dell under tech support and I would get way more calls from users who had new machines as opposed to refurb machines because that fact is if it did have an issue it was fixed.

Yes and not only do you save money but can also return it if you dont like it just like the new products.

Also there is a 15% coupon floating around right now which is good until 1/20. This is the coupons code.

TL4$GF7$107M0S

Yes and not only do you save money but can also return it if you dont like it just like the new products.

Also there is a 15% coupon floating around right now which is good until 1/20. This is the coupons code.

TL4$GF7$107M0S

Thanks for the code, just got a 14z for school using this code!

$580 shipped after taxes and coupon for a $940 configuration if I purchased new :)

Last edited:
I bought my Studio 15 laptop from Dell Outlet around September 2007. I ended up paying around $700 shipped for it, and based on the parts that I've chosen, it would have cost around $1100 if I "built" it using Dell's retail site. When it arrived, it looked just as good as new -- with the exception of a green sticker at the bottom stating that it's a refurbished model.

Even now, after replacing the memory, wireless card, and hard drive, and with a pending "upgrade" to Windows 7 (Home Premium), it still works fine for my needs.

My workplace buys mostly refurb systems unless the customer asks for something new, simply because they are generally good-as-new, at a much lower price.

I've only had one issue with a refurb: a Studio 15 bought for a friend came with a damaged LCD, but since they were able to buy CompleteCare with it, it was quickly fixed. I think the hard drive went out too, but I've seen that happen on enough new systems to not hold that against the outlet.

Back