Anyone elses Windows Update not working anymore???

slickmitch

Gawd
Fresh install, x 2. :mad: because update will work then bam nothing will install?? Piece O Crap Update site!!!

Care to elaborate a little more on "it doesn't work"? Do you get an error? If so, have you tried clearing your internet cache?

Didnt MS start only giving updates to genuine installs of Windows just recently?

we need more info if its not working. Genunine advantage could cause it but so could a pirated key. where does it stop working..

what does it allow you to do

:rolleyes: Had this problem too. Windows Update(s) stalled..

The message I got was like: "New Updates are available" showing the little yellow ( ! )
on my toolbar, near the clock

To get get the updates I had to use IE (since I use Mozilla) M$ dont like any other browser
:mad: It took me at least an hour to DL/install the updates..

3WAYsplit said:
:rolleyes: Had this problem too. Windows Update(s) stalled..

The message I got was like: "New Updates are available" showing the little yellow ( ! )
on my toolbar, near the clock

To get get the updates I had to use IE (since I use Mozilla) M$ dont like any other browser
:mad: It took me at least an hour to DL/install the updates..

for windows update to work. you MUST use IE.. standalone downloads dont count

hulksterjoe said:
for windows update to work. you MUST use IE.. standalone downloads dont count

That's now after SP2, before it would update fine.. M$ is just getting more & more sux @ss..
:rolleyes:

Works one time........other time doesn't......depends on the mood of this crappy website!

I have a genuine version of XP Pro with SP2 slip streamed into it :rolleyes:

3WAYsplit said:
That's now after SP2, before it would update fine.. M$ is just getting more & more sux @ss..
:rolleyes:

If you actually go to the Windows Update site you have always had to use IE because it uses ActiveX controls to figure out what version of Windows you have and what updates you need.

When you clicked the yellow icon telling you there were updates available, did it not give you the option to download them without going to the site? It should just download them and tell you when they're ready to install, unless you have your Automatic Update settings changed to only tell you when updates are available.

ive had a really hard time updating win98 machines at work recently (the past two weeks roughly). but no problems at home w/ my xp.

windows does have a genuine validation tool that must be downloaded before you can download any updates. If you happen to possess a version of windows that is not "genuine" i.e. hacked, then that is the problem.

waldog said:
This has already been discussed in quite a few threads. No one in their right mind would trust a site like that. Do you realize how easy it would be for someone to drop some vicious malware on your PC?

Let's exercise some common sense here. Regardless of what browser you use for regular web-browsing, since you already have IE on your system, there's no excuse NOT to use it for Windows Update.

Back