• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Anyone else with a 5870 experiencing this issue?

nascasho

Gawd
Joined
Aug 23, 2009
Messages
617
What started happening recently is with CXF enabled after a boot everything would be perfect. Great score etc. After sometime of the system being up and playing a couple games I run Vantage and everything goes haywire. The textures and really bad screen flicker start to occur.

I tried drivers, I tried different CFX bridges, swapped, removed one, tried the other and the issue seems to keep coming back more and more. reinstalled a couple things too.

One thing also. When CFX is disabled the glitches seem to go away. During the Vantage test, the Calico, I know when the CFX setup is messing up be cause the ship's trails would sometimes flicker and show up on the hull of the shops... but very fient. Does this in both CFX mode and single I'm noticing, but not all the time. Sometimes I can run the test with one GPU, get a 17500k, then next test get a 14k...

I can reboot and everything would be good, no issues sometimes. Sometimes it'll go away and sometime it would stay. Sometimes it'll even stay after a fresh driver re-install. Tried moving between 9.8A and 9.10 beta's. tried the RC6's and the RC7's and it would still do it after reboot sometimes.

I honestly have no idea what to do now. Next I'm going to switch rails considering it possibly a PSU issue or a bad OS. Possibly a bad OC but I stress tested it for 24hrs prime 95 w/ 20 passes LinX... wtf?! But if it was actually a bad OC I would probably see some program crashing or a BSOD or something. i get none of that, just the wierd textures/ flicker and performance hit.

Any ideas would be nice. Plz help... too frustrated right now. :(
 
IT's the computer gods punishing you for having tooooo good of a system ;)

What OS are you running? i think Win 7 is trying to use the 9.7 drivers i dunno though.
 
It's 7 RC1.

I can run the tets now just fine. RUn it again, and take a performance hit. I have no idea what the issue is now.

Argh I hate these days!
 
From what I've been reading and even in some of the benchmakrs ATI is still hammering out a few issues with the 5870, maybe run them independently for now
 
Yeah, I know of the driver issues, but I was unable to find anyone YET having the same problem as me.

I've never seen these kinda problems and I hope it's driver related, last thing I want to go through is an RMA... no good gpu's for a long long time... :(
 
Did you try 2 crossfire bridges at the same time?

Yes, had them on at the same time and by themselves. When using the single CFX bridge I swapped them and the issue was still there.

And I appriciate you guys for responding so fast! I've never seen my topic ever replied to this quick before.
 
I had overclocked my system RAM once which caused the symptoms you describe intermittently. It would sometimes work for days without any issue and than all of a sudden the screen would go haywire and I would have to reboot to resolve it.
 
I had overclocked my system RAM once which caused the symptoms you describe intermittently. It would sometimes work for days without any issue and than all of a sudden the screen would go haywire and I would have to reboot to resolve it.

They are memtest86+ tested for a couple passes, let it run overnight a couple weeks ago w/o any eorrs, dunno.
 
I haven't tried running vantage, but have played Warhead a good bit. I don't see any image problems, but sometimes I get unexplainable glitches, such as the game forcing itself into windowed mode, followed by low framerates for a certain time. Not sure if it's just glitches in the game (I've always found warhead to be kind of strange that way) or if its a CFX issue. Reinstalling vantage right now, I'll do a few runs and edit my post.
Edit: Did 3 loops and didn't have any problems in vantage.
 
Last edited:
I'm running FurMark right now to test each card individually for 30min then doing a Vantage run to replicate it with one card and see if I get similar results.

One GPU at stock gave me a 17500's so far, will continue to test.


Update: Tried both cards and they both scored 17500k first run, second run they were around the 16500k mark. I think thats normal-ish because you'll never get the same score running it twice.

I even stressed them both in FurMark and nothing... wtf.

I'm stumped.
 
Last edited:
Hey I'm getting vantage texture corruption with a single card, and it happens every single time, vantage can run through and I get 16400 or something, but the Jane Nash test is the worst, but I still get some corruption in the other tests whilst games seem ok and so does Furmark, check out my screenshot (note it looks far worse when actually running due to the flickering):

example.jpg


Just hope this is a driver issue, it's so hard to tell though until a couple months down the line when new drivers have been released, which sucks as I could have returned it in the first 7 days no questions asked!
 
easy guys, easy. the drivers are still immature. i've been using the amd recommended drivers from day one and have not experienced any graphical glitches.
 
Well surely then as I've just tested the AMD recommended drivers, and I am still experiencing those issues, have been on every driver version I can find, and on fresh reinstall of Windows etc... Surely that would mean the card is broken?
 
i'd only reach that conclusion if the graphic anomalies appeared in everything i ran.
 
Not to be a smart ass but are you removing the old drivers correctly?
 
Yes definately, I tried it before I reinstalled windows, and then after I reinstalled Windows, and it still did it (I've done other tests than just that obviously), that was to be absolutely sure there were no driver problems...
 
Q6600 overclocked to 3.0ghz
Sapphire 5870 @ stock
Corsair 620X PSU

I'm not in Xfire but am getting the same flickering issues (no texture corruptions though). It doesn't happen consistently but sometimes my desktop will stutter/flicker after gaming. On a few occasions, it has crashed after the stuttering. I've been trying to troubleshoot/research online the problem and have come to 2 probably root causes.

1. Immature drivers
2. The stutter is caused by the card "downclocking" for power management

I've tried both the RC6 and RC7 drivers. Same problem. I haven't tried locking my card from "downclocking" but I've heard you can do that with a bios flash (not sure)?

I don't think the card is bad considering I've read of similar problems with the card from other places. At this point, I'm just waiting on new drivers.
 
OMG it's pissing me off now. It leaves, then comes back. Always starts when I see one game start to artifact! (Ryme not intended) My gut instinct is telling me to stick with single GPU's for now on... I'm sooo tempted to sell it.

I'm also scared that the 9.10's won't fix it. If it's not, this thing is going to a new home.

I recorded it acting up too, so YouTube video later so you guys see what I mean.
 
waiting for drivers to mature is generally the name of the game when it comes to owning ati cards.
 
waiting for drivers to mature is generally the name of the game when it comes to owning ati cards.

With the way it's going now I won't be able to play any games at all!

No way in hell though do I regret getting it, one card = amazing. Two = I liked SLI better, lol.

I don't know what the hell takes them so long though?! I hated the nvidia drivers because a damn beta leaked like every other freaking day and people like new things and hated them. I almost miss it because they actually came out!

/rant
 
to me the steady stream of nvidia beta releases almost ensures that a new aaa game or card will have multi gpu support from day one.
 
OP for crossfire you should be running RC6 drivers. The RC7 drivers have issues with crossfire. I ran into this with mine. You will notice your 2nd GPU in CCC not reporting temps etc. I run both bridges and get a better score every time despite what some say about only needing one I see smoother frame rates with two every time I run Vantage. Also for those of you getting texture issues and flickering. Try loading MSI Afterburner 1.2 and raising your voltage a bit. I have read some cards are showing 1.12 for load voltage and it should be 1.162. You can try one bump over that to see if it fixes your issue. I think the Official driver release will take care of a lot of the initial bugs and things will hopefully get better from there.

EDIT: OP install MSI afterburner and watch your temps, clocks, and voltages. Curious what you are seeing.
 
to me the steady stream of nvidia beta releases almost ensures that a new aaa game or card will have multi gpu support from day one.

+1

But imagine a beta comes out one day, everyone freaks. Dude, I got better performance!

Everyone installs and loves it. Then I remember when they released the Ambient Occlusion. That was sweet, and it happens so quick, lol. I became a pro at using Driver Sweeper because of soooo many drivers.

I hated it then, miss it now.
 
Tested with MSI Afterburner, and the voltage is 1.162 so it's not that! Also upping it to 1.2v did nothing to help the problem either, so it's not that :(
 
My only problem with 5870 was the "ubercursor" problem with beta drivers from amd site. If you didn't heard about that bug yet - it's a mouse cursor bug, which makes your cursor ~4x bigger in size. That means biiiiig cursor :).
 

I don't have this card but for what is worth, this is exactly what I get when I get a new catalyst download and don't install it right. I always run Vantage after a new driver its a sure way to tell a good/bad install. I even have the missing water in Vantage just like your vid.
I've narrowed it down (Vistax64) to old Catalyst Control Center not being removed completely prior to installing new one. If that's not the case there's a conflict with Catalyst somewhere check your Device manager and see where drivers are pointing to.
 
I don't have this card but for what is worth, this is exactly what I get when I get a new catalyst download and don't install it right. I always run Vantage after a new driver its a sure way to tell a good/bad install. I even have the missing water in Vantage just like your vid.
I've narrowed it down (Vistax64) to old Catalyst Control Center not being removed completely prior to installing new one. If that's not the case there's a conflict with Catalyst somewhere check your Device manager and see where drivers are pointing to.

It would be funny if ATI's drivers really are great but their installation method is what was fking everything up. I still have hope.. even if its only a small mount.
 
Back
Top