Anyone else here ever feel the need to take an extended break from computers and tech

peppergomez

2[H]4U
Anyone else sometimes feel like technology is basically making them its bitch? I have been feeling that way this last month or two, with pretty much everything computer-related not working like it should (with ironically the exception being perhaps the most ambitious tech set up I have- triple monitor gaming, which has been working flawlessly ever since I ditched AMD and bought NVIDIA. God bless you, NVIDIA. If only other tech would follow your fine example.)

Here are the most recent and egregious examples:
I've been mostly unable to use my cell phone anywhere near my apartment for a few months now (call quality is so bad at least 75% of the time that I cannot understand what other person is saying, calls are dropped all the time). Spent 10+ hours troubleshooting it with Sprint (difficult to troubleshoot when I cannot talk to someone in my apartment). And until last week internet speed on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) was so slow as to be mostly unusable. And this is with an Airrave modem from Sprint, which is supposed to boost the signal.

I am unable to use wireless guest accounts of either my neighbor or my parents since in each case the guest log-in screen doesn't appear (on either laptop or ipad). Cals to Cisco have not resulted in any solution (they want $30 to reactivate tech help coverage, and thus refuse to provide help on the phone...have found no answers in the Cisco forums, after having posted there.)

Laptop runs a snail's pace such that in an IM session it takes a good 30 seconds for a single sentence to appear after I've typed it (and I did a Windows 7 reinstall two months back).

And then there was that fake FBI Cybercrime virus on my desktop that hijacked Windows, and that took a good 2 days of effort to fix (admittedly my fault for having done some sketchy surfing).

I have about had it with shit not working like it is supposed to, and am feeling less and less inclined to spend the time and effort to troubleshoot it. I kind of feel like cancelling my internet account, and possibly closing my phone account, and just saying "F it" to any further attempts to do anything other than have basic phone service and check my email via my ipad every week at WiFi at whatever public establishment. I will miss playing Skyrim, which I really enjoy, and will likely go through withdrawal, but a life without all this shit seems increasingly appealing.

Anyone else been in this frame of mind, and has enyone actually taken a sanity break of a few weeks/months from all this PITA tech crap that doesn't work like it is supposed to?

PS- Not a very [h] sentiment to share, I realize, since the hardcore here would likely root around and investigate until they found a solution. I'm starting to feel like that effort is no longer worth it, just to get shit to work as it is supposed to.

You've had a bad run of some hardware (router), been affected by things outside of your control (cell coverage), and got burned because of a lack of antivirus and/or admittedly poor decisions online (fake FBI scam). Just take it as a learning experience, and fix the behaviors that you can control - specifically, the surfing habits and maintaining an antivirus footprint.

I get that.
I've been into computers for 20 years now, had an Atari,Amiga 600,Commodore 64, etc.
Recently I get literally overwhelmed with some trends that happen nowadays, like the tablet/laptop craze (in many situations it's obviously great but I personally can't imagine sacrificing a 21-24" screen for a slower, less servicable machine with 17" or less screen real estate - I mean all I do is sit on my ass for 8 hours at a company and I need the comfort), limited overclocking options (on one company's cheaper offerings :p) and the fact that even the most trivial pieces of software like pdf readers now come with an autostarting tray app, a 'quick start' process, an updater process and additional bloatware that I need to opt-out of. Every softare wants to be at the centre of the user's attention. For a truly casual user (some og my clients are older people that just check their e-mail on a Sunday) the computer is now some needy thing you need to update all the f**g time.
I wish stuff like Java or Flash just silently patched itself by default instead of screaming for attention with pop-ups.
I see my friends buy new shiny laptops with great hardware that is basically operating at 75% capacity (a number I just pulled out of my butt) due to annoying crapware they don't know how to get rid of (because they just want to use it without thinking).
I don't really want to go into arguments with anyone in this thread because I'm merely saying how I feel... I might be 'doing it wrong' for all I know.
But, hey, I am a person who still weeps at the thought of no longer being able to buy a new CRT monitor (typing on a dying one right now, with an LCD as my second monitor). I just like them more for photography and gaming. And, yeah, I live in the third world and can't really afford a quality panel.
In order not to sound stubborn and old I will admit I am VERY enthusiastic about a few things that became mainstream - namely virtualization, SSDs, USB3 and advancements in HW performance/power consumption. I still get all giddy while installing systems on a VM and carrying them around on an external drive between home/work. Some software got better, like Windows 7, MSE, HW monitoring software, but sadly most IMHO became a lot worse and I view them almost as spyware.
In the end I guess it's our job as computer enthusiasts to come up with workflows/ways to use computers effectively, learn and teach others in spite of what big software houses are trying to pull.

The only times I've felt overwhelmed is when I stepped away for a while and tried to get back in.

yup. After I worked at a insurance and investment tracking software company and dealt with drunk investment people screaming all the time about how they are loosing 100k an hour (what bullshit).

Joined the Airforce and fixed f-16's for 6 years, now I am back in computers and have a much better perspective of it I think.

I know what ya mean.
I often day dream about just chucking all tech and moving into the woods or something for a bit.
Oddly I think that would be more relaxing than watching something on Netflix...

Back