Anyone else have bad luck with BFG RMA?

[h]ardc[h]ris

Weaksauce
I ended up buying a 680i board a while back, that stopped working. I talked to support, and they had me RMA the motherboard.

After a couple weeks BFG sent me a motherboard, however the board itself looked damage and had traces exposed on the motherboard. I tried the motherboard anyway (hoping that it wouldn't fry anything!), and it would start to post, and freeze. I talked to support and ended up RMAing this motherboard.

Now talking to BFG that they no longer have any 680i boards in stock. I've emailed them asking if they have any plans on getting anymore motherboard, but they haven't responded (that was a week ago). Nor does it appear that they even make motherboards anymore. I don't know what to do, I've been out of a system for months and it doesn't seem like BFG cares.

Anyone else have bad luck with BFG?

My only complaints with BFG are that they lack certain key cards for their trade-up program, and that they dont maintain their warranty if you replace the cooler with an aftermarket one or waterblock (EVGA does).

My only complaints with BFG are that they lack certain key cards for their trade-up program, and that they dont maintain their warranty if you replace the cooler with an aftermarket one or waterblock (EVGA does).

I thought you had to place the stock cooler back in order to RMA. Unless that is videocards only?

No, they say that if you remove the cooler at all it voids the warranty. Placing the stock cooler back to RMA is not approved. I know many here might consider this, but if they pop it open and find anything other than their stock thermal pads and thermal grease... no warranty (they say). Perhaps some here have done it, and BFG doesnt check... I dont know.

[h]ardc[h]ris;1034244861 said:
Jeff was quick to reply and help. Kudos to BFG

good to see it was all taken care of.. even though the 680i is a garbage chipset.. but then again most of nvidia's chipsets are garbage..

I had bad luck with a BFG graphic card once, but they (Jeff) took care of the problem in a timely manner. Things can go work with any product, so it's nice to know they offer good support.

No, they say that if you remove the cooler at all it voids the warranty. Placing the stock cooler back to RMA is not approved. I know many here might consider this, but if they pop it open and find anything other than their stock thermal pads and thermal grease... no warranty (they say). Perhaps some here have done it, and BFG doesnt check... I dont know.

If you save the old pads, putting the thermal grease back the way they ship it is a matter of slopping a huge amount on the processor, assuming you got the right color, they won't know. I was surprised how much I had to clean off when I put a waterblock on.

Making any modifications to a BFG part will void your warranty.

While I really despise that policy, they do spell it out in the fine print.

I made the mistake of putting some RAM heatsinks on my BFG GeForce 7900GS, since the card was overheating badly. When I called BFG, and asked if I could have it exchanged, they were pretty good about getting me to the right person.

Unfortunately, the rep confirmed that because I had attached heatsinks to the video card's RAM, that I voided my warranty, even though the GPU itself was the problem.

So, I ended up with a video card that was better used for 100 yard rifle range target practice.

Note: that if you abide by the terms of their warranty (no mods, whatsoever), then I'm sure that they'll be good to you, since they do have pretty good tech support.

Still, because of that policy, I don't buy BFG products anymore.

I also will not buy bfg products for that reason...adding some ram sinks to a video card or a sink on a motherboard with a hot running chip is going to do nothing but enhance the life of the component...there are so many other vendors to buy from that are not denying warrantee for these type of mods ...
I never buy bfg due to this policy and generally let my customers know their policy when choosing parts for there computer.
in fairness to bfg they do let you know about this in there warrantee info....so basically dont buy bfg and you wont have the problem....

While we do discourage changing out the heatsink on the card, I don't see any issues with putting memory sinks on the cards as long as they are installed properly and are easy to take off.

I have run into instances in the past where customers actually super glued the mem sinks on the card so it tore off the RAM chips when trying to remove them :(

Unabomber - I sent you a PM regarding this, and requesting some more information.

I do understand that this can be and issue at times. While we try to have as many products available as possible, sometimes allocation issues come up and I simply don't have any products to provide and I would rather not mislead anyone into thinking they are getting something that is physically impossible to provide. I am trying very hard to obtain some of the more popular products for the program though.

Back