Anyone buy a openbox 4870x2 from newegg?

ellover009

[H]ard|Gawd
My friend is convincing me to try ATI, the 4870x2 can be economically feasible alternative if you can land a 4870x2 on sale, used or an open box. I been checking out newegg and every once in a while I see an open box evga, powercolor, diamond for around $300 and once in a blue moon you will see the Asus tri cooler for $360. I been tempted to squeeze the trigger on one but I am a little hesitant about it because they only come with a limited 30 day warranty and it does not guarantee that the manufacturer will offer some warranty as stated by newegg limited 30day on open box items, another thing is that they may not come with anything, just the bare card. I have also been hearing that NV and ATI might release their new 40nm DX11 cards some time by this summer.
What do you guys think? I currently have an 8800gtx, i7920, 6gb ram and a corsair HX620 psu.

i just bought one of the tri fan ones from newegg yesterday, but if i cant get a manufacturer warranty im not sure i will keep it. i am planning on contacting ASUS and seeing if they will honor their warranty from an open item. Does anyone know if you usually get a warranty on open box items?

I bought an ATI Brand open box x800XT and it was broke. I was able to RMA it and got a new one for almost 1/4 the cost :)

i just bought one of the tri fan ones from newegg yesterday, but if i cant get a manufacturer warranty im not sure i will keep it. i am planning on contacting ASUS and seeing if they will honor their warranty from an open item. Does anyone know if you usually get a warranty on open box items?

Do tell once you contact Asus. I am also interested in the tri cooler version. But I have been wondering how much a new one of the tri cooler cost over an used one since the used one has a small premium over the other open box ones. It's a little iffy that it does not come with any accessories, such as the dvi-hdmi, tv out cables, crossfire bracket, power cables.

I just looked at some prices. $300 will buy you an regular cooled open box. For $360 $60 more the tri cooler. Oddly for about $50 more u can get a new sapphire. So if all fails you can move up to a new x2 card. For some reason I really dislike the girl painted on the sapphire card, I wish it looked more like the one from the asus single cooler.
Post as soon as you find out about any coverage from asus, I would rather have the tricooler for a quieter machine since I invested in noctua cooler for my CPU.

I had no problem RMA an open box P5Q Pro when it crap out.

It was no different from a regular retail P5Q Pro. They ask my address and the serial number on the Motherboard. I assume the videocard is the same procedure.

I looked into the warranty through Asus for an open box mobo a couple weeks ago and everything I read stated that the warranty goes by the date of manufacture that is linked with the serial number, nothing else is taken into consideration, so you should be fine.

Anyone know if these coolers are quieter or noisier than stock fans on the regular ones? I been hearing the tri-coolers can get a bit noisy.

Well it doesnt work, so i guess i will contact ASUS to see if they can send me a new one.

Well it doesnt work, so i guess i will contact ASUS to see if they can send me a new one.

Is it totally DOA or is it just not outputting to DVI? I have been hearing some issues with some 4870'sX2 not giving any signal on DVI, only through hdmi or vga. I hear it is fixable somehow, but dunno if that is it, it could be that there's not enough power getting to the card or lastly it's really DOA.

I tried DVI and HDMI, and im using a corsair 750TX, and my 4870 runs fine w/ it.

The fans run, but no picture

I tried DVI and HDMI, and im using a corsair 750TX, and my 4870 runs fine w/ it.

The fans run, but no picture
You sure you plugged in the 6/8 pin? I plugged in my hd4870x2 and forgot to plug in the 6/8 pin and got ni picture but thje pc turned on with fans running.

ok, i contacted ASUS and pretty much said it doesn't work and they gave me an RMA #

While I didnt buy an open box, my OC'd 4870x2 is a fantastic card. Ive got it water cooled and it's averaging temps in the 30's C.

yep, bought 2 of the asus ones, no problems

Open box?

btw guys how is the noise on these cards? I have a 8800gtx and I don't want something that's gonna be too noisy compared to my current card. Did your open box card come with any installation cd's or just the bare card?

why did they open the 4870x2 boxes anyway?

Those cards could have been returned to newegg and legaly they cannot sell as new anymore. They could also be rma cards that asus sells through newegg. Lastly could be grey market cards aka were not originally intended to be sold in USA and were sold this way because of warrantee issues. Who knows, but in the end you take chance to get an Discounted item.
I am waiting to see how his rma went not all companies have good rep and warrantee on their cards. From what I understand the other reason whythe tri-coolers cost more besides cooling is the warantee from asus new is 3yrs so you have a higher chanceto remedy your issue whereas sapphire is 1yr n by the time they get those cards open box out there is a good chance sapphire wont cover it.

In my exp open box items are a crapshoot. You either get a somewhat good deal on a working device, or you get a broke product that needs to be returned. It's been about 50/50 for me. As far as the manufacturer warranty goes, some honor it for open box, some don't-- I know for sure MSI doesn't, but not sure about Sapphire.

That said, I'm letting my two 4870 x2s go, garanteed to work if interested :)

Getting Dual 4890's? I thought about it but that would mean I would possibly need to change my psu. I have a 620w corsair psu.

ok, i contacted ASUS and pretty much said it doesn't work and they gave me an RMA #

Shot in the dark here but if you haven't updated your BIOS the new card will do the same thing, was an issue with DFI mobos using the X38/48 chipsets. I thought my XFX 4870 X2 was DOA at first till I did some searching.

I ordered the open box Sapphire 4870x2, which is arriving today via UPS. When it arrives, I'll post here w/some photos.

Shot in the dark here but if you haven't updated your BIOS the new card will do the same thing, was an issue with DFI mobos using the X38/48 chipsets. I thought my XFX 4870 X2 was DOA at first till I did some searching.

wow, yea that could have been the problem, kinda wish i didnt rma the thing, now i gotta wait a week or so :eek:

I ordered the open box Sapphire 4870x2, which is arriving today via UPS. When it arrives, I'll post here w/some photos.

Here's the photos (please excuse my crappy camera):
3439422731_f16291f2b0.jpg

There was popcorn packaging underneath the box.

3439422911_b9e0f54060.jpg

The 2nd box (within the 1st one), that actually contained the card.

3439423089_bc97ca4300.jpg

Wrapped in anti-static bag.

3439423291_2ddc6ffc9d.jpg

Top view.

3440234140_3e919cac43.jpg

Bottom view.

3439423729_4833d9b34f.jpg

Included w/card.

So far, running this "open box" Sapphire 4870x2 has been perfectly fine, no problems in World of Warcraft, TF2, or Fallout 3 w/Catalyst 9.4.

Congrats on your new card. Gets harder and harder to make my decision on this card. Do you guys think it is worth the premium for the tri-cool asus over the regular card. I am reading somewhere that they are talking about a 4890x2 with 2-4gb, wonder how it will impact games and if it will allow gta 4 to max everything out since it only reads 1gb because each gpu has 1gb assigned whereas the new will run 2gb each gpu. Each day I tell myself the moment I decide to drop money for an ati card they will release the next gen card. Never owned a ATI card so I am a little hesitant on making the jump.

Congrats on your new card. Gets harder and harder to make my decision on this card. Do you guys think it is worth the premium for the tri-cool asus over the regular card. I am reading somewhere that they are talking about a 4890x2 with 2-4gb, wonder how it will impact games and if it will allow gta 4 to max everything out since it only reads 1gb because each gpu has 1gb assigned whereas the new will run 2gb each gpu. Each day I tell myself the moment I decide to drop money for an ati card they will release the next gen card. Never owned a ATI card so I am a little hesitant on making the jump.

If you have a nice big budget for a video card (say, $600), then I'd suggest waiting for the 4890x2 to come out, which should happen within the next couple of months. Not sure how much more of a boost in GTA4 it will give you though, that game is just an example of poor coding IMO.

I bit once on a open box ASUS, the card was not very well packaged and would crash once the card was loaded. It was warped and barely fit in my case. When I called Newegg to complain, they issued me full credit plus freight, and even sent me a prepaid label to ship it back on.

Man they jacked up the price on the Asus 4870x2 open box. They trying to sell em at $440 supposively on sale, they want originally $540. These ppl are crazy.

Everyone needs to stop looking at the Asus trifan at newegg so the price will drop and I can get one. lol

Lol, true that, but it will never cost same as regular open box prices because of the added cooling over stock one then they wouldn't be able to sell them. I sent them an email inquiring about the price change.

Last edited:
ok its back and it works, idles about 47c at 50% fan speed which isnt all that noticeable than 30%. Still gets rather hot when under load at 50% fan speed it gets up to 95c before it automatically kicks up to 100% which is defintly noticeable but not really that bad compared to my 4870 which sounded like a vacuum cleaner at 100%.

i was getting 95c on Crysis, i tried Fallout 3 and it didnt go any higher than 85c at 50%

Last edited:
Congrats. How is the performance and graphical quality on your rma card?

Last edited:
Seems good, im glad i got the warranty from ASUS, the temps seem a little warm ,i know these things run hot. i checked some benchmarks and it seems to be avg fps about the same as other 4870 x2s

anyone w/ a trifan 4870 x2 w/ similar temps? idle 47c load around 80-90c

Last edited:
I'd recommend getting a normal hd4870x2 and buying an accelero. The accelero tri fan design is better then the one by asus.

Received it Wednesday morning
a little screwed up on one of the fans
A screw was broken off the plastic mount.

I fixed it my self with a longer screw that grabbed what was left of the plastic.

now in Crossfire with my other 4870X2
The open box is the top card.
;)

CF1.JPG

XFX HD-487A-CDF9 On sale for 379 at the egg. Tigerdirect claims 369, but not in stock.

Back