Anyone build i7 yet?

Wheresatom

[H]ard|Gawd
Has anyone here built an i7 folding rig yet? I know the points are in the GPU, but I would like to see what these things are doing. I see there are a few threads in the overclocking and cooling section about how they are limited by how hot they get rather than by them throwing errors. That sounds kinda cool. I wonder if that means the SMP would be more EUE resistant.

Anyone have one yet? Want to paypal me some money so I can build one??

I've been thinking about it for my main rig...... then I look at prices and chuckle.

I'll be getting a couple GTX295's before a I build a i7 boxen.

I'm tempted to build a i7 rig but I won't do before 6 months at least to let time for manufacturers to iron out any issues. That build will cost 3000$ for sure ;)

I see there are a few threads in the overclocking and cooling section about how they are limited by how hot they get rather than by them throwing errors. That sounds kinda cool. I wonder if that means the SMP would be more EUE resistant.

I haven't had an SMP unit EUE on me in a few months with the 6.23 client, so that isn't much of an issue. The preliminary F@H benchmarks did look very promising though (imagine running four SMP clients on one chip :eek:).

Have the processor, still waiting on a board, want to see how the DFIs are, as well as the bloodrage. Probably complete the build in two weeks once more boards are available.

I am planning to build an i7 next month once the funds arrive. I won't be folding though as I prefer to crunch. Although, I might have to load up some GPU clients though as I am thinking some SLI goodness may be in order.

Have the processor, still waiting on a board, want to see how the DFIs are, as well as the bloodrage. Probably complete the build in two weeks once more boards are available.
Remembering some of the systems you posted about in the past, I'm surprised you didn't decide to wait for Gainstown...?

I'm waiting probably until next year around this time, you will be able to build a sweet core i7 system dirt cheap.

I'll probably wait untill the Gainstown cores are out and then replace my main Skulltrails box.
But with 8 true cores running @ 3.4 Ghz going to a single i7 cpu box is a downgrade.

Luck ........... :D

I'll probably wait untill the Gainstown cores are out and then replace my main Skulltrails box.
But with 8 true cores running @ 3.4 Ghz going to a single i7 cpu box is a downgrade.

That's why you add boxes, not replace them. ;)

That's why you add boxes, not replace them. ;)

Tiger has a limit on the power that he will use. So adding boxen is not an option.

Also:
775 vs i7 on a cost to folding power basis doesn't jive yet.

2x q6600 with a p45 and a good HSF, OC-ed to the wall will give you more production than an i7 system and still cost you less.

I'm waiting probably until next year around this time, you will be able to build a sweet core i7 system dirt cheap.

i dunno about that.. since amd doesnt have anything to compete with the i7.. and we all saw how intel didnt really drop their prices on the C2Q when every relized the phenom I's were no competition.. now that the phenom II is out.. expect the current C2Q's to insanely drop in price.. i still dont think by the end of the year that the price to performance will be there with the C2Q's being dirt cheap to buy.. but thats if intel bothers to get in a price war with AMD..

Tiger has a limit on the power that he will use. So adding boxen is not an option.

Also:
775 vs i7 on a cost to power basis doesn't jive yet.

2x q6600 with a p45 and a good HSF, OC-ed to the wall will give you more production than an i7 system and still cost you less.

You'd still pull a box comparable to the one you add, unless tiger is down to only dual quads at this time...

Also, do you have links to similarly specced p45 q6600 systems vs x58 i7 920 systems power usage? I'm interested in seeing where the i7 system pull so much more power that it doesn't make up for it's performance increase.

You'd still pull a box comparable to the one you add, unless tiger is down to only dual quads at this time...

Also, do you have links to similarly specced p45 q6600 systems vs x58 i7 920 systems power usage? I'm interested in seeing where the i7 system pull so much more power that it doesn't make up for it's performance increase.

I should have been more clear, folding power, not power consumption.

I'm considering building a new box (upgrade from sig rig). It'll WCG & F@H when not in use.

It may be a couple of months before I can build as I just spent a boat load on the Asus lappy in my sig. I'm also waiting a couple of months to find out about any major issues/bugs/concerns before I spend the kind of money that will get me what I really want.

Of course it'll be a while until I even think about a i7 boxen. The question I have at the moment is, is it true the i7 CPU's TDP is 130w :confused: I've always tried to keep my 24/7 folders at the lowest temperatures I can. Thats partly how I got hooked on WC'ing and now air cooling just doesn't interest me anymore, I've even been looking at full cover GPU WB's and I couldn't stand the sale prices on pumps and now I have a MCP 650 and no loop to put it in ATM :eek:. (I have two MCP350's that I love) Do the i7 CPU's run hot? I thought Intel learned after the fiasco called Preshott (err..., I mean Prescott) that temp and voltage draw were synonymous :rolleyes: Do they have suitable 3rd party HSF's :confused: (either air or more specifically water, and no freakin' push/pin shite)
I've read some reviews and they say with the HT and a onboard memory controller (I think) that the chip is strong. I just wonder about the high TDP :confused:

Thanks for any "first hand" knowledge :p

Folding and WCGing for the CURE

I'm at the limit of Power useage, ~2.7 kW.h.
1x boxen, output is from quad 9800GX2's, ~900 watts used.
3x boxen, output is from Q6600 + dual 9800GTX+'s, ~350 watts each.
1x boxen, output fron dual E5450's + tri 9800GTX's, ~600 watts used.
Add ~150 watts for all other electrical useage in the cottage.

If I'm going to upgrade any of them then I will need to know that the PpDpWatt figure is going to increase.
At the moment I'm running around 37 PpDpWatt.
So to up it any will be [H]ard.

Back