AnyDVD HD vs DVDFab DVD & Blu-Ray Copy

Which piece of DVD/Blu-Ray decrypting/copying software?

• AnyDVD HD + CloneDVD2

Votes: 21 80.8%
  • DVDFab DVD Copy + Blu-ray Copy

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters

Kelvarr

Supreme [H]ardness
Which one? I've been using AnyDVD HD + CloneDVD2 for about a year now, and have had zero problems with it. I was going to upgrade to the lifetime subscription before the end of the year to take advantage of their sale, and then I thought about/saw DVDFab. They also have a sale going on for lifetime subscriptions, but it ends tomorrow.

Which one is better? Or is it more like 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other?

AnyDVD HD + CloneDVD2 = $144 for lifetime subscription
DVDFab DVD Copy + Blu-Ray Copy = $136 for lifetime subscription

So basically, they cost the same. Can anyone shed anymore light on this for me?

Alternatively, can anyone tell me whether I need any additional components of DVDFab?

AnyDVD HD for my money.

Works on everything I've throw at it (so far 75 Blu Rays) so go for that.

They're kind of different products. DVDFab is about ripping DVDs/BluRays while AnyDVD's real value is in disc based playback. It sits in the background and will decode the copy protection on any disc right before you play it. It also makes things easier to rip.

So, pick your poison based on how you handle BluRays. If you rip everything then DVDfab is perfect. If you want to pop a disc in and watch it then AnyDVD is what you need.

They're kind of different products. DVDFab is about ripping DVDs/BluRays while AnyDVD's real value is in disc based playback. It sits in the background and will decode the copy protection on any disc right before you play it. It also makes things easier to rip.

So, pick your poison based on how you handle BluRays. If you rip everything then DVDfab is perfect. If you want to pop a disc in and watch it then AnyDVD is what you need.

Well, currently, I only RIP DVD's...I play Blu-Rays back from disc. Eventually, I want to rip Blu-Rays as well.

Is there a free Blu-Ray ripper? I don't think CloneDVD2 will do it...Handbrake might (will?)...maybe I need to get AnyDVD HD and DVDFab Blu-Ray Copy?

AnyDVD HD can do the ripping too, most people don't even look at it to do so but it's quite capable of ripping DVDs and Blu-rays without issues, much the same as the competition does.

While I don't personally have a Blu-ray drive, I do have one of those Microsoft Xbox 360 HD DVD drives (got it at Fry's last year + 5 HD DVD movies for $40 out the door) and a few other HD DVD movies I paid for pretty cheap and I ripped them using AnyDVD HD in the recent past, no issues noted.

If you want something free that'll take a Blu-ray's contents and dump it on the drive, the best thing that comes to mind is still MakeMKV - it'll pull all the content from the Blu-ray and dump it inside a nice MKV file, and you can choose what content you want (main movie, extras, etc), then if you're interested, you can feed that MKV file to something like HandBrake which can definitely crunch it down to a much smaller file while retaining those additional items inside the MKV and keeping the quality pretty much the same.

It sounds like we're doing the same thing. I've ripped all my DVDs to my server and I just watch the Blu Rays from the HTPC. I don't use anything but TMT 3 right now to play the Blu Rays and it works perfectly. I have ripped a few T.V. series on Blu Ray. This is what I use.

DVD: AnyDVD HD ~ Handbrake
BD: AnyDVD HD ~ RipBot 264

I like RipBot but it is slow. I've been thinking of trying MakeMKV when I rip my next Blu Ray.

I used anydvd because with MyMovies and WHS, it makes the wife happy since it is then 100% automagic!

Joe Average is right! This MakeMKV program is perfect. I too, have the Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive and had to recently use AnyDvD HD and MakeMKV for the HD-DVD disc due to their unsupported platform for playback.

I like DVD Fab my Self i have it. The New one that i have is Rib DVD OR Blu-Ray. And Blu-Ray to DVD and Blu-Ray 3D Ripper

Now if someone would just create an x264 encoder that made use of CUDA and kept the x264 quality in the resulting encodes, all would be right with the video encoding world, but alas... still no one has done it, probably never will I suppose.

All the CUDA-powered encoders out there (the one just mentioned, the oldest one Badaboom, and others) and even ATI's AVIVO encoders just plain old suck ass for quality regardless of what settings you end up choosing.

I use DVDFab to rip all my DVD / BR, strip out all the extras, extra language tracks, subtitles, and just copy the main movie with English audio.

AnyDVDHD can only rip full discs, and i can't be bothered going into the rip afterwards and doing more work.

I use DVDFab to rip all my DVD / BR, strip out all the extras, extra language tracks, subtitles, and just copy the main movie with English audio.

AnyDVDHD can only rip full discs, and i can't be bothered going into the rip afterwards and doing more work.

Yup, me too -- rip BR to iso image with only the movie and HD sound using DVDFab. Got three 2tb drives full on my HTPC now.

DVDFab is also an excellent converter, like from DVD to avi, and it really smokes if you have an NVIDIA card with CUDA.

Very interesting info, I'll definitely be looking into DVDFab when I have the funds

Tough call, it depends on what you want to do.

For ripping the whole disc:
AnyDVD HD

For ripping and converting:
DVDFab

Back