Anybody used a TV Tuner with onboard IR for MCE? (Dish Network)

I am looking at using Vista Media Center to do all my tv duties. I have Dish Network and I am looking for a card that is supported in Vista Media Center that has an IR Blaster integrated to handle the Dish set-top box. I've heard about the Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150 and I wanted to know if anyone has used it to control a set-top box in Vista using Media Center. Has anyone had any luck? Would this card work as well: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116011?

Why? Just get a solid tuner (the PVR 150 is terribly old and kind of crappy compared to any modern tuner card) and get the MS remote. Hauppauge has two remotes, one that works with VMC and one that doesn't. And it's terribly limited.

crim, you forgot the cardinal rule of crapping on someones idea...give him a specific alternative. I would but I haven't shopped for PVR cards since...well since PVR150 was new. actually, I got a Nvidia dual tuner when it came out. still, I dont know the market right now.

I am looking at using Vista Media Center to do all my tv duties. I have Dish Network and I am looking for a card that is supported in Vista Media Center that has an IR Blaster integrated to handle the Dish set-top box. I've heard about the Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150 and I wanted to know if anyone has used it to control a set-top box in Vista using Media Center. Has anyone had any luck? Would this card work as well: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116011?

Do you already have the Microsoft MCE Remote control? That has an IR blaster built in that is natively supported out of the box in Vista MCE. I'd go with that, the setup it brainless.

I'm not sure which tuner would be best with Vista though, haven't kept up on that stuff.

crim, you forgot the cardinal rule of crapping on someones idea...give him a specific alternative. I would but I haven't shopped for PVR cards since...well since PVR150 was new. actually, I got a Nvidia dual tuner when it came out. still, I dont know the market right now.
Tons of threads on that too; standard answer: 650 based tuner.

Either way, the point was is that it's stupid to buy a tuner simply because it comes with a remote that you have to plug into it. The only thing it does is limits you to a shitty bundled remote that the manufacture decided to thrown in and locks you in to whatever the bundled PVR software that comes with the card.

If he buys an MS remote kit and a seperate tuner (shit, there are people here selling 550 based tuner cards for $35) then he can upgrade this tuner card or at least have a very nicely laid out remote that more comfortable as well as use whatever PVR app he wants.

You should know this stuff, man.

so the 650 is still the go to. stuff doesn't change that much on the SD front I guess. I concur about the blaster/remote. the MCE has blasters included and is a good remote. best budget choice hands down.

Back