Anybody try linux on the new athlon 64 laptops?

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
Just curious if anybody has tried any of the various 64bit linux flavors for the new amd 64 laptops. If so what did you use, what worked, what did not work.

FreeBSD 64 -> Will not boot, freezes after option screen 1.
Gentoo64 Live CD -> Will boot, with a LOT of work, some times.

Conclusion: Not ready for the Laptops, yet, either of them

This was on the M6805.

Originally posted by lopoetve
FreeBSD 64 -> Will not boot, freezes after option screen 1.
Gentoo64 Live CD -> Will boot, with a LOT of work, some times.

Conclusion: Not ready for the Laptops, yet, either of them

This was on the M6805.

What he said. BSD locks no matter what you do on the M6805 and Gentoo is just a PITA. Mandrake has a AMD64 distro, but it doesn't look like its available for download yet.

Well also the problems with booting would also be a few things not just being amd 64bit but also the chipset that it's using etc i'm sure a newer kernal will come out that will let this run check the website in my sig maybe it will provide some help

I'm trying the new 64bit fedora core but its downloading awefully slow at 20KB/s.

Originally posted by IceDigger
I'm trying the new 64bit fedora core but its downloading awefully slow at 20KB/s.

Link?

I never saw a 64bit F. Core available :confused:

redhat.fedora.com

Also I'm wondering about the suse 9.0 64 one. It's gotten very good reviews and seems to be the best of the bunch. Only problem is it costs $110. :(

Originally posted by IceDigger
redhat.fedora.com

Also I'm wondering about the suse 9.0 64 one. It's gotten very good reviews and seems to be the best of the bunch. Only problem is it costs $110. :(

If we can get a group to go in together, we can copy the CD's and distribute (yay open source)... and it wouldn't cost as much!

Well, I found Mandrake 9.2 for amd64 and I'm downloading it now. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

STAY AWAY FROM MANDRAKE 9.2 64bit!!!!!

Its the worst of the bunch from all the reviews.

Something I just found the other day. Shark linux is made just for the opteron and athlon 64 processor. Very interesting find.

www.sharklinux.com

I'll try it out today and see what happens.

according to the gentoo forums, the regular 32bit athlonxp install works perfectly and the august 22nd 64bit livecd works fine as well. driver support is good, everything but the wireless apparently works almost OOB.

Originally posted by MTB2Live,Live4Comps
according to the gentoo forums, the regular 32bit athlonxp install works perfectly and the august 22nd 64bit livecd works fine as well. driver support is good, everything but the wireless apparently works almost OOB.

The august LiveCD won't boot without passing things to the kernel at boot.

Back