Anybody test 3770K w/HT on/off in BF4?

mzs_biteme

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm currently rocking 3570k @4.5GHz with 7950 in my gaming rig. I recently downloaded BF4 Beta and have been playing it a bit here and there. I get generally very good performance, with occasional "rubber-bending" which is most likely server side network issues. BF4 is definitely taxing all 4 cores quite a bit. Switching to task manager I see all cores at about 85% utilization while playing. I know BF3 (which I play as well) and now BF4 are capable of utilizing up to 8 cores, (BF4 probably more so now), I was wondering if going to a similarly clocked 3770K w/HT would give me better (smoother) gameplay... I got a Microcenter near by, and can get 3770k for $250, then sell my 3750k for 180~200 (according to latest eBay bids) so a $50 difference in the end. Would it be worth it? Can anybody test it for me on their system? Pretty please...;)

on for sure. bf4 may be one of the few games that benefits from hyperthreading, as it will prevent thread waits due to 100% core usage.

i have a 4930k and without hyperthreading it will go 100% and cause stuttering, but with it will smooth out. All 12 threads show ~50% usage so between the game and the driver they are all being used! kind of nice actually.

dice did release a patch today to help with CPU usage.

Grab 6 core and you'd have smooth gameplay, otherwise don't bother.

Grab 6 core and you'd have smooth gameplay, otherwise don't bother.

There's a little more to upgrading to 6 cores than just "grabbing." It'd probably cost the OP 3X the cost of going HT. Until we have final rigorous benchmarks of 6 vs 4 cores with HT it's really not fair to say what is the better move.

FYI I have an I7-970 (at 3.35) with a 6950 2GB at 1920x1200 and it uses all 12 threads but half of them are only about 10-20% with the others at 40-80% at best guess. I was running task manager on my 2nd monitor. I didn't notice much of a CPU usage difference between the high and ultra settings and I didn't use any other settings. A quad with HT should be fine for BF4 but then again that is the beta and only 1 map. A quad without HT will likely be a bottleneck but but not by tones. I got 20-30 FPS on ultra and 30-40 FPS on high. My video card is holding me back by quite a bit but my 3 year old CPU is still overkill :D. Also note that BF4 is not that RAM heavy, it only uses about 2 3/4 GB of RAM. I didn't measure VRAM usage.

Last edited:
Normally HT cores report n for one, m for the other, where n + m = 100 when they are at the same efficiency as a non HT core, > 100 when they are more efficient, and < 100 when they are running my programs or Linpack.

Back