Anybody know what Dell pays MS for Win XP ?

Oh, I don't know. While I would imagine that they aren't paying all that much for Windows, how much do you think it is worth to MS to make sure that you are running a Windows OS? Also, the OEM's, from what I have heard, get paid for some of that software that they put on your machine. Essentially, advertising for the companies whose software is installed. As we've seen in the past, if you can get a default media player on there, or a default web-browser shell, then, in most cases, people won't change to another.

While I don't doubt they get a cheaper price, I think that it's more about market share in cases like these. I'd still like to know, though.

Big OEMs like Dell don't pay per license. They basically pay what equates to a subscription fee.

I don't imagine that money is all what MS is after. Probably a larger marketshare to contend with the growing number of Linux Machines. After all, thats where MS gets most of their share anyways is through big brand name PC's like Dell, or HP.

Dell and MS have contacts together so while in our eyes its crazy $, to them it's nothing comparerd to what they generate.

Probably less than $35 for XP Home and less than $70 for XP Pro.

They pay more outright for a license, but it's still less than what any of us could pay. But then they get a kick back based on the number of systems sold with windows on it.

FalseGod said:
No, actually they pay per license.
Rodriga Costa, Microsoft's OEM Chief, will tell you something entirely different. He'll tell you their prices are based on volume. Since the specifics of the OEM pricing are confidential and I am speaking of something akin to how my company's partnership with Dell and Microsoft work, I know it is much closer to a subscription type deal than a per license price. So, no, actually, they don't pay per license.

the upfront cost to dell and such is in the $115 range for xppro but beacuse of the "marketing agreements" the back end money can lower that cost signifigantly..

I have it on very good authority that Dell simply rents high quality prostitutes and ships them over to MS for all the late night coders.

Considering I got my brand new X800XT from Dell for free..(on the packing slip, order sheet, it listed $199). Got it when the card was brand spanking new, retailed for almost 600 or 700 bucks. Windows, pfft, probably 20 bucks a pop.

OldPueblo said:
I have it on very good authority that Dell simply rents high quality prostitutes and ships them over to MS for all the late night coders.
Hehe. Nice.

I would guess that the payment is suscription based. I think i remember that dell simply activates a new install of xp with a new activation key if one of their costumers reports a missing key (and of course wants a reinstall).

Back