Anybody familiar with Buffalo router?

Sly

Supreme [H]ardness
I recently retired my WRT54G and replaced it with a WZR-HP-G300NH.

I'm still tinkering around with it and i don't know if these are normal.

- Maximum file transfer over LAN is 30MBps? Is this as fast as it'll go?

- Maximum Wifi transfer over Wifi is 11MBps/3MBps UL/DL? Is the uneven bandwidth normal?

- When i enter my internet IP, i get sent to the routers setup page "Permit Configuration from wired Internet" is already disabled but outsiders still have access to the router. The checkbox for it on the WRT54G atleast works, or is there a different place to set it on the buffalo?

- Can't seem to get port forwarding to work. I've set it up on the WRT54G and i've been hosting some test websites, but i can't seem to get port forwarning to work on the Buffalo.

- With port forwarding "running". When i enter my home ip (i.e. 555.444.333.222), the routers setup page gets run instead. Even if i use the forwarded :80 port( ex. 555.444.333.222:80 -> 192.168.1.100:80), it only opens the routers setup page. All other ports return an error. Even if i were to say that "80" is supposed to go to my IIS server, it will only open the webpage of the router.

Did i miss a checkbox somewhere? The interface is different from a linksys so i'm still figuring out where everything is. On the linksys, no matter how much you set, there's single checkbox separate from everything that has to be toggled to actually get port forwarding to work, is there an equivalent for the buffalo?

I recently retired my WRT54G and replaced it with a WZR-HP-G300NH.

I'm still tinkering around with it and i don't know if these are normal.

- Maximum file transfer over LAN is 30MBps? Is this as fast as it'll go?

- Maximum Wifi transfer over Wifi is 11MBps/3MBps UL/DL? Is the uneven bandwidth normal?

- When i enter my internet IP, i get sent to the routers setup page "Permit Configuration from wired Internet" is already disabled but outsiders still have access to the router. The checkbox for it on the WRT54G atleast works, or is there a different place to set it on the buffalo?

- Can't seem to get port forwarding to work. I've set it up on the WRT54G and i've been hosting some test websites, but i can't seem to get port forwarning to work on the Buffalo.

- With port forwarding "running". When i enter my home ip (i.e. 555.444.333.222), the routers setup page gets run instead. Even if i use the forwarded :80 port( ex. 555.444.333.222:80 -> 192.168.1.100:80), it only opens the routers setup page. All other ports return an error. Even if i were to say that "80" is supposed to go to my IIS server, it will only open the webpage of the router.

Did i miss a checkbox somewhere? The interface is different from a linksys so i'm still figuring out where everything is. On the linksys, no matter how much you set, there's single checkbox separate from everything that has to be toggled to actually get port forwarding to work, is there an equivalent for the buffalo?

I am not sure if that is normal for that router with systems that are able to saturate it....did your old router give you higher speeds? maybe the systems are tapped out...not the router?

The old one only goes about 10MBps. But this is a gigabit router so it's supposed to go about 100MBps over LAN right? And the old wifi only goes up to 800KBps. Overall it's considerably faster, just not as fast as i was expecting.

At the moment, the port forwarding and the publicly accessible setup screen is what concerns me the most. I want peoepl to have access to my IIS server, not the router =(

you will never get a full 100 MBPS on a gigabit switch due to overhead of the protocols etc....could very well be a hardware limitation on the machines

Unless you've got very fast hard drives and/or RAID arrays on either end of your transfer you will never come close the max theoretical transfer speed provided by the gigabit spec. 30Mbps isn't too bad for desktop/laptop hard drives over a home router.

I see, thanks for the insight. Can you guys recommend a network benchmarking utility for testing between two pcs? Just so I can have it running in the background while I mess around with the settings?

One cool thing is that I'm now shutting down my netbook for the first time in months. My electric bill went down a quarter since I started using it as a file server (netbook paid for itself after 10 months even tho it runs 24/7). But it'll probably be even better if I move the files to the router itself =)

Just an update. I took someone's advice and got CAT6e cables and tried copying an 8 Gig file.

Desktop -> Netbook = 45MBps
Netbook -> Desktop = 41MBps

It's an improvement.

Altho I still don't understand why i'm getting this on my Wifi.

Desktop (LAN) -> Netbook (Wifi) = 3MBps
Netbook (Wifi) -> Desktop (LAN) = 11MBps

And i'm still trying to get port forwarding to work.

Are you browsing to your home IP from within the home network or externally? If you're doing it from within, it's normal to get directed to the router:80.

I guess it runs a bit differently from my old one. I can't test it right now since i live in a blindspot (I live next to an elevated highway so there's practically a hill next door) but i'll try it when i get the chance to bring the laptop with me. Maybe i'll try getting on the roof later.

On my old WRT54G, if i were to put my routers web address in the address bar, i get redirected to my IIS server even if i'm accessing from my home network. I was expecting to be able to do the same with the buffalo.

Back