Anybody else really stoked about Coffe Lake ? I3-8350K worth it...

Subzerok11

Gawd
I was kinda of sad a little bit at the news that it was going to be on a different socket and I wasn't going to be able to continue to use my Noctua heatsink and fan. But after finding out that it will continue to use 1151 I was pretty happy about it. Paid good money for Noctua heatsink.

I've had my 2500k since a long time and I get the feeling this will be a a huge upgrade. I'm actually thinking of getting either a I3- 8350K or the I5-8600K. Seeing how I3-8350K is basically the new 4 core of I5 from generations past is might be worth getting, it might out do the 6600k/7600k.

Does the average user (me) really need more then 4 cores ? have we the average user out grown 4 core really yet ?
Does anybody know if a lot of newer games and Win 10 actually use more then 4 cores by the way ? It might be worth saving 50+ bucks maybe ?

CFL will use the same physical socket, but may not be backwards compatible with current LGA 1151 motherboards. This may mean that new Z370 motherboards will support existing Skylake and Kaby Lake processors, but the new Coffee Lake processors will require a 300-series chipset in order to work properly.

4 cores definatly struggle in certain games:

Not meant to start an AMD vs Intel argument, just wanted to show that more threads can really improve how smooth a game is. FPS do not always tell the entire story.

If I was you, specially looking at your upgrade time frame. Just get a 8700K from the start. It cost you what, 1-2$ more a month in the big picture. Forget all the lesser models and do yourself a long term favour.

They need to update their test bench.
I mean I agree with their conclusions but AC:Unity? Crysis 3?

If you want to murder a CPU then fire up Watch Dogs 2.

When I test with an i5, I can't fucking stand it. The system feels sluggish at times and hesitates doing common tasks. I don't have that problem with any of the i7's. It's not something everyone would necessarily notice and frankly, I might not either if I weren't testing boards with these CPU's back to back. I wouldn't buy an i5 at this point unless you just need a CPU and can't afford better.

I was kinda of sad a little bit at the news that it was going to be on a different socket and I wasn't going to be able to continue to use my Noctua heatsink and fan. But after finding out that it will continue to use 1151 I was pretty happy about it. Paid good money for Noctua heatsink.

I've had my 2500k since a long time and I get the feeling this will be a a huge upgrade. I'm actually thinking of getting either a I3- 8350K or the I5-8600K. Seeing how I3-8350K is basically the new 4 core of I5 from generations past is might be worth getting, it might out do the 6600k/7600k.

Does the average user (me) really need more then 4 cores ? have we the average user out grown 4 core really yet ?
Does anybody know if a lot of newer games and Win 10 actually use more then 4 cores by the way ? It might be worth saving 50+ bucks maybe ?

as some one who was in the same boat as you and thought "why would i need more than 4 cores/threads, i barely even use my computer to do anything but play a few indie games". after moving up to the R5 1600 i can definitely tell you having more than 4 cores/threads makes a massive difference in usability and feel of my system. so if you have the money i'd definitely say i7 is worth it over the i3/i5 especially given you've gone this long with the 2500k. going with an i7 should give you just as much of a lifespan as the 2500k while being a bit more future proof than the other options you gave.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan_D
like this
Back